Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Halifax info??

Registered
    Jul 2003

Halifax info??

We may be moving to Halifax soon (wife my be attending Dalhousie for grad school), and wondered if anyone had any info on neighborhoods to seek out , where do you find good bars, nice housing, how's the cost of living, whats transit like, etc. etc. Of course, relative proximity to Dalhousie is important, as is proximity to downtown (preferably where I'll find gainful employment). We'd like to get rid of one of our cars...

Anybody have any info??? Many thanks in advance!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The most desirable neighbourhoods to live in are on the peninsula that makes up downtown. Cost of housing is pretty high, compared with the rest of the province. Demand is high. Housing is cheaper on the dartmouth side, and there is a ferry between the 2 sides of the city. No idea what public transit is like, I have seen buses, but never used them

Lots of great eating and shopping downtown. Restaurants I've heard good things about Biche, chives, there is an itlain place near keiths brewery that is really good too.

Good Bars - The Seahorse, there is a bar that is 2 levels for concerts that is pretty good, that is behind a staples store downtown, then there is always the "liquor dome".
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Beyond knowing that Dalhousie's Arch programme is pretty decent I don't know much else. Sorry! I might be applying there, just maybe, so if I come across anything I will let you know.

Registered
    Sep 2001

Halagonian here!

well, that's what they call Halifax natives!

As Donk said the most desiable areas to live are on the penisula. It is my opinion that if you live on the peninsula and mostly walk or take public transit the cost is not outrageous (or never used to be). To live off the peninsula, with the added costs of transit almost everywhere adds up to about the same amount.

In terms of neighbourhoods, it depends whether you are wanting to rent or own but I would try the 'tree streets' (try Cedar, Walnut, Chestnut); the 'city streets' (try Cork, Liverpool, London); or the hydrostone area (around Isleville). Dalhousie has a housing office which may help you with cost of living etc.

Bars = Argyle St; ditto on the Seahorse; the one Donk mentions being on two levels is the Marquee - it may have closed but for the best info on bars, concerts, events, etc. The Coast is the best source.

Restaurants - on the expensive end: Bish; Fid; more reasonable: Deco; The Cellar; Il mercato. Also see The Coast's annual food poll.

Hope this helps. If you have any other qustions, ask away.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Thanks all - we'll be visiting sometime over the winter and this'll be helpful when we start looking at where we want to live (provided all goes as planned).

Thanks!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hey?

That reminds me....who did that map that shows where we all are?? Did it inlcude Canada I'd like to see it updated?

Sorry, never been to that part of the continent
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 19 Dec 2008, 9:09 AM
  2. First Halifax....
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Oct 2008, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 05 Sep 2005, 7:55 AM
  4. Halifax