Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Self-storage facilities

Registered
    Jan 2005

Self-storage facilities

I hate these things. Approving these stupid things is a good way to ruin economic development. They create zero jobs and just waste land plus create all sorts of issues such as people living in them and storing stolen crap and garbage. We got an area of our city that's really booming with industrial development- mostly flex/warehouse space with some light manufacturing of construction materials. Unfortunately our industrial zoning allows these things and we're starting to see site plans for them in this district. Commisserate with me please fellow planners /rant off

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Sorry, but they clearly fill a need, whether it be for small business or for residential areas. They do pay taxes. Ruin economic development, I'd say that's a little over the top.

People need storage. If you don't like how they work, find a way to make them work. Don't try to suppress it, that doesn't make the need go away.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    plus i think its better those than the PODS that are becomeing popular

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    We got an area of our city that's really booming with industrial development- mostly flex/warehouse space with some light manufacturing of construction materials. Unfortunately our industrial zoning allows these things and we're starting to see site plans for them in this district.
    But isn't this the type of zone you want self storage in? I fume when I see it in a commercial retail area on the main drag... it doesn't belong there!

I don't mind self storage, I hope it's only a temporary 'fad' and people will begin to live within their means again or sell some of that crap, but I do like self storage for one reason it is easily dissassembled (if you have that sheet steel 1 story construction) so redeveloping the site shouldn't be difficult at all.

Registered
    Nov 2002

self storge as place holders

Self storage facilities cost little to develop in terms of their profitability in many markets.

They are also really easy to disassemble or demolish.

Thus, some property owners use them as "place holders" to generate revenue until the market demand for a higher and more profitable use arises.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    But isn't this the type of zone you want self storage in? I fume when I see it in a commercial retail area on the main drag... it doesn't belong there!

I don't mind self storage, I hope it's only a temporary 'fad' and people will begin to live within their means again or sell some of that crap, but I do like self storage for one reason it is easily dissassembled (if you have that sheet steel 1 story construction) so redeveloping the site shouldn't be difficult at all.
    This area is an industrial cluster and an emerging center of employment. We've got plenty of underutilized sites along declining strip corridors that would be more appropriate. I still believe that these things produce zero economic benefit and should be located in the least desirable locations.

Also, it won't be easy to disassemble because it is a three story masonry building as per our design code

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree with you that they do not contribute to economic development. They take up valuable space that could be dedicated to more productive uses and can disrupt the flow of a district. As an economic developer, I have tried to steer these uses, as you suggest, to locations less suited to retail and industrial development. For instance, place a commercial use on the front of the lot and build the storage at the back. Use marginal ground that may be suitable to these buildings, but not adequate for industrial development.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    This area is an industrial cluster and an emerging center of employment. We've got plenty of underutilized sites along declining strip corridors that would be more appropriate. I still believe that these things produce zero economic benefit and should be located in the least desirable locations.

Also, it won't be easy to disassemble because it is a three story masonry building as per our design code
    Sorry to hear about the 3 story mason structure, yeah that's not easliy redeveloped. Have these been built yet or are you contemplating changing zoning to accomodate them? Let me know what the situation is and I'll try to tailor my answer.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jhboyle
    plus i think its better those than the PODS that are becomeing popular
    PODS are completely forbidden in this county per our Code.

I have seen a code that requires some pretty substantial landscaping around mini-storage, but never really saw the need. I'd rather they be in an industrial area than anywhere else and with so many of them around they must be profitable. (?)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    They serve a need, but don't let them exist on a main street. Especially when your comprehensive plan recommends transitional uses and it is in the heart of your downtown and even though the gas station across the street is zoned comparably, it is still not appropriate, but the dolts approve it anyway. Welcome to <city> we have air conditioned storage on main street. Woo-hoo. /RANT
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 10:40 AM
  2. self storage
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Feb 2006, 11:28 AM
  3. Snow storage
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7