Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Monday November 14, 2005 noontime (Giving to the community) question from Michaelskis

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Monday November 14, 2005 noontime (Giving to the community) question from Michaelskis

As many of us have mentioned, a group of anonymous wealthy individuals have come together and are paying the college bills of kids who attend and graduate from Kalamazoo Public Schools. It is fairly obvious that this will have a seriously significant impact on the City of Kalamazoo as well as the surrounding areas.

While this type of thing was not all that uncommon (on a smaller scale) 50 to 100 years ago, it is shockingly uncommon today.

What private contributions do you know of that have been solely to benefit the community and not for economic gain?

For more info and discussion about the “Kalamazoo Promise” click here.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Many positive things came from private givings for the Detroit 300 brithday celebration including:

Campus Martius Park
    The first phase of the Riverwalk
    An international sculpture with escaping slaves on the Detroit side of the river and a man holding a beacon to freedom on the other.

These sorts of capital projects have been going on for quite a while. Detroit's Belle Isle has the Scott Fountain, named after the most hated man in the City, who left his fortunes to build a memorial to him. They places his statue so that on whindy days thr fountin hits him in the face! The Detroit Institute of Arts would not be around if it was not for the early art patrons.

I don't know of many that are seen to the likes of K'zoo. I do know that there is a contrverial offering of $100 million to Detroit's Schools by a wealthy roadbuilder. His caveat ties it into the movement started by the Amway folks towards privatizing schools. That does not set well with an already-in-crisis school district.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    While this type of thing was not all that uncommon (on a smaller scale) 50 to 100 years ago, it is shockingly uncommon today.
    Actually, there once was something on a significantly larger scale (adjusting for inflation).
    http://www.michaellorenzen.com/carnegie.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Carnegie
    Andrew Carnegie (19th century robber baron) donated millions to fund public libraries across the country. Some have questioned his motives for doing so, but the fact remains that over 1400 communities found themselves with libraries they might not otherwise have had the resources to build.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The Little Lebowski Urban Achievers?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2005

$$$ to plug the brain drain

A councilmember in Fort Wayne, Indiana is dedicating his salary (approx $18,000) toward paying off the loans of local college students if they agree to stay in the area for 3 years. I believe others may have chipped in on this fund.
    Satan in the Suburbs

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Actually, there once was something on a significantly larger scale (adjusting for inflation).
    http://www.michaellorenzen.com/carnegie.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Carnegie
    Andrew Carnegie (19th century robber baron) donated millions to fund public libraries across the country. Some have questioned his motives for doing so, but the fact remains that over 1400 communities found themselves with libraries they might not otherwise have had the resources to build.
    You’re right about more, but I don’t think that it was substantially more.

I figure it this way. Currently there are 10,500 students in the Kalamazoo school district, and that number is expected to increase as less people will be moving out, and the largest classes are in the K-3 age group and less likely to move out, and most likely to gain significant population, so we will figure that a total of 14,000 students will go through this program in the decade. At $63,000 each (average figuring the past 7.5% increase trend for the next decade) about $840,000,000 in one decade given by this group of people, and only to one community. $1.5 million short of a billion concentrated on a community of approximately 85,000 residents is a phenomenally substantial amount.

Carnegie made and gave money over 5 decades totaling 4.5 Billion if converted into today’s values. Over 5 decades, it is only 6% more than this group per decade, and his was distributed across the east cost and parts of the mid west.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Urban legend has it, correctly or incorrectly, that Brisbane has been adopted a mysterious anonymous American billionaire. He could be a nice cuddly figment of our imagation, however the fact remains of the Clive Berghofer Cancer Reserch Centre.

The centre was built for $60 million without huge government funding. The naming rights were then sold for $5 million. So there's probably in the realm of $40 million missing.

Insert Brisbane's fairy godfather. Apparantly all sorts of projects have been finaced this way. Believe in him at will.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    In our local paper this weekend was the story of a man who left 3 million dollars to preserve mule deer habitat. He was admittably something of a loner and a grouch. He loved hunting mule deer. He lived frugally, invested well, and felt his social security was enough for his needs.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Dec 2005, 1:27 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 23 Nov 2005, 10:59 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Nov 2005, 4:30 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 11 Oct 2005, 12:30 PM
  5. Replies: 20