Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Traffic control strategy

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Traffic control strategy

Some neighbors are complaining about people getting off the expressway in their neighborhood and using their cul-de-sac simply to turn around, or make a cell-phone call, or change a diaper, etc, and then getting right back on the highway.

Any advice on how to prevent these unwanted stops in the neighborhood?

Registered
    May 2003
    Market the place as a "bad" neighborhood. Then the suburbanites will be afraid to get off the expressway.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ChicagoDan
    Some neighbors are complaining about people getting off the expressway in their neighborhood and using their cul-de-sac simply to turn around, or make a cell-phone call, or change a diaper, etc, and then getting right back on the highway.

Any advice on how to prevent these unwanted stops in the neighborhood?
    Transfer ownership of the right-of-way to the neighborhood HOA, and let them enforce their "No Trespassing" signs with private security. They can also do their own street plowing and maintenance while they are at it.

What part of public streets don't they understand?

Quote Originally posted by SGB
    Transfer ownership of the right-of-way to the neighborhood HOA, and let them enforce their "No Trespassing" signs with private security. They can also do their own street plowing and maintenance while they are at it.

What part of public streets don't they understand?
    I don't understand how or why a cul-de-sac street is directly off a highway. Highways are usually limited access, with only public streets or private drives to malls, etc. as intersections (w/signals).
    But to add to the previous comment, they could gate their community as part of turning it private, if they don't like the "traffic" on the public street.
    Or simply add "No Parking Anytime/This side of street" signs. But the neighbors may not like that either. Many cul-de-sacs have no parking Fire Lane due to the large radius that the bigger fire trucks require when they need to gain access. Pass it on to your FD and sign shop.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    The whole concept is rather confusing and needs clarification
    Great mindless think alike.

Planning my way out of wet paper bag since 2003

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm equally baffled by having a residential cul-de-sac off of a limited access highway.

I'm with everyone else here; they don't own the street, the public does. If they don't like it, they can buy out the damn street and slap a gate on the front of it. Include in the contract that they will receive absolutely no assistance with maintenance and that the City will never take back the road at their request. If they want to dig this grave, let them lie in it.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm amazed that there are so many folks who do not know that older freeways often times empty out directly into residential areas. I've seen this sort of crazieness all over Detroit, Chicago, and Toledo. In fact, sometimes on my route home, I have to exit a freeway interstate, drive through a neighborhood, make a left, then follow the street several blocks to get to a major stat trunkline. I agree that it does not make any sense, but you can't exactly go kicking everyone out of their homes and create a direct link either.

Huh?

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    I'm amazed that there are so many folks who do not know that older freeways often times empty out directly into residential areas. I've seen this sort of crazieness all over Detroit, Chicago, and Toledo. In fact, sometimes on my route home, I have to exit a freeway interstate, drive through a neighborhood, make a left, then follow the street several blocks to get to a major stat trunkline. I agree that it does not make any sense, but you can't exactly go kicking everyone out of their homes and create a direct link either.
    Guess that's just bad planning/engineering in those areas.....Going from a 65mph (75mph in Mich) to a 25 mph residental street just doesn't make much sense. Most of the freeways in Ohio only intersect with arterials that are at least 45mph. How is it done? With turn lanes exiting onto the 25mph residential? or is there a signal at the residential street intersection? - would make even less sense. There certainly wouldn't be an off ramp....would there? Unless your definintion of a freeway isn't the same as mine. I could see arterials connecting to cul-de-sacs.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ssnyderjr
    Guess that's just bad planning/engineering in those areas.....Going from a 65mph (75mph in Mich) to a 25 mph residental street just doesn't make much sense. Most of the freeways in Ohio only intersect with arterials that are at least 45mph. How is it done? With turn lanes exiting onto the 25mph residential? or is there a signal at the residential street intersection? - would make even less sense. There certainly wouldn't be an off ramp....would there? Unless your definintion of a freeway isn't the same as mine. I could see arterials connecting to cul-de-sacs.
    There was a few of these off of I-280 in Toledo. I would not go so far as saying its poor engineering as much as it was inexperience. Nearly all of these freeways are now 50+ years old.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Traffic control devices
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Oct 2011, 10:56 AM
  2. Obsolete traffic control devices
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 9:45 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jan 2010, 12:30 AM