Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thoughts on Boston University or San Diego State's MCP Program

Registered
    Sep 2005

Thoughts on Boston University or San Diego State's MCP Program

Has anyone been though or have any exposure to the Master of City Planning program at Boston U or San Diego State? From my understanding, the only downfall (if you would even call it as such) of the programs would be the lack of official accreditation. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Registered
    Nov 2002

Boston University

I think BU's program, which is offered through its Metropolitan College (ie. extension school) is OK, but really is not up to the level of some of the other programs around here, like UMass or Tufts, and of course the usual Harvard and MIT. The people I know who went there primarily chose it out of convenience (lots of night classes for working professionals, and located near where they live) than other reasons.

I personally like the UMass program a lot although its not located in Boston (its a couple of hours west in a great part of the state)

On the other hand, you can get a good education almost anywhere if you take it seriously.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I don't think I'd go to an non-accredited program. If you want to be in Boston, look at Tufts. Harvard and MIT are here, too.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wesjmw77
    Has anyone been though or have any exposure to the Master of City Planning program at Boston U or San Diego State? From my understanding, the only downfall (if you would even call it as such) of the programs would be the lack of official accreditation. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    I just graduated from the MCP program at BU. It was the only option in the city for evening classes, as I worked full-time throughout. I would highly recommend the program if you plan to leave Boston after you graduate (as I am). Competing with Harvard and MIT grads will not be easy if you remain here. Although, you will make TONS of professional connections through the program. Most of the instructors are current or former public officials or high-ranking planning professionals.

As far as accreditation goes: no one outside of the APA even knows or cares. You can still get AICP certifed, you just have to work one year longer. A Boston University degree carries a lot of weight, even in Boston, regardless of what the APA says.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 28 Oct 2011, 4:44 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Jan 2011, 9:54 AM
  3. Boston University anyone?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Apr 2010, 11:52 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Jan 2010, 9:26 PM