Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning jobs in the Northeast

Registered
    Aug 2005

Planning jobs in the Northeast

i am currently getting my Master's in Urban and Regional planning from a school in the south. i am from upstate NY originally. my boyfriend and i would like to end up back in the Northeast.

how difficult is it to get a job in planning in the Northeast? preferrably NY or MA. i don't need to or want to be in a big city.

i won't be looking for a job for another 6 months or so, but any tips on job hunting in the area?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I would start your search soon - it often takes us 6 months to clear a deal on a new hire anyway - do the usual route of on line searches in local papers and on APA's website, Planetizen, etc.- help out the person reviewing you from far away and send writing samples with your resume and your references all set to be called - also ask for a phone interview to further help them

good luck -

i grew up in syracuse, spent 16 years in boston and have been in maine the last 3

planning in massachusetts/new england rocks if you want local planning because of home rule - ny seems to be more county based but that seems to be changing, i will defer to the planners out there on that

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    ny seems to be more county based but that seems to be changing, i will defer to the planners out there on that
    In NY land use regulation is all done at the local level. County planning tends to focus on more regional studies and special projects, as well as the typically technical assistance to municipalities.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 3:06 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Nov 2009, 6:40 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 12 May 2009, 10:38 AM
  4. Planning careers in the Northeast
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 May 2007, 4:30 PM