Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Peer review

Registered
    Jul 2002

Peer review

I, like a lot of planners liberally take advantage of what others have done before. Although this makes amending text easier and quicker I feel that this “borrowing” tends to stifle innovation. On a number of occasions I have tried to write zoning text essentially from scratch and what I found that would be helpful is some type of peer review by others in the planning field. We do our own internal review and any text amendment will be reviewed in the adoption process. What I would like to see though is some type of internet bulletin board where I could post proposed text for critical review. Does anyone know of such a site? If no, how can one be started? Thanks, Tom
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    We do our own internal review and any text amendment will be reviewed in the adoption process. What I would like to see though is some type of internet bulletin board where I could post proposed text for critical review. Does anyone know of such a site? If no, how can one be started? Thanks, Tom
    We already do a lot of that here, but mainly in the Zoning and Land Use subforum.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Ultimately, any innovative ordinance your write will need to have a local buy-in. Simply saying... "a bunch of planner geeks on the internet like the ordinance" is not enough. In general, the more review the better, and using the internet as a forum to review can only help... but just make sure that you keep local perspectives in mind.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Peer communities methodology
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 May 2009, 12:27 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Jul 2005, 3:19 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 15 Mar 2003, 8:24 PM