Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sorting through the RFP responses

Registered
    Aug 2001

Sorting through the RFP responses

How many of you get a chance to read the project team resumes in an RFP response? I see all kinds of variation in format and content, lots of it blustery and meaningless. If you list that you won an award, state the year and project you won it for!! Otherwise, I know you are fluffing it up to make yourself look good!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    How many of you get a chance to read the project team resumes in an RFP response? I see all kinds of variation in format and content, lots of it blustery and meaningless. If you list that you won an award, state the year and project you won it for!! Otherwise, I know you are fluffing it up to make yourself look good!
    I briefly scan the resumes. If there is a project on there that I am familiar with, I use that to factor in my decision, otherwise I just look to see if they have done similar work.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    My favorite part of reviewing RFP responses was always when I would come across a former co-worker or project team member who had grossly over-inflated their involvement in a particular project. So much fun to call these folks on the carpet!

Ughhhh. We learned our lesson after getting resumes of about everybody that works in these firms, including from all 14 of the CAD/GIS staff. Just give us the relevant information on the person(s) that is going to be in charge of the project. Nothing more, thanks. Yes, please be clear about the details as well.

And if I see one more glossy aerial of a wastewater treatment plan, I'm gonna flush it down the damned turlet.
    Not for better. Not for worse. And certainly not for lunch.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I always like it when we get submittals where they forgot to adequately check the document and they have another jurisdictions name listed throughout the project scope. They always ask us why they were not chosen? Hhhhmmmmmm.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Nov 23 is D-day for consultants responding to our latest RFP. Then it's on me. I've created a matrix to help objectify the selection process, but thankfully the language "Please remember that XXX reserves the right to reject any or all bids, to award the bid to other than the low bidder, to waive irregularities and/or formalities, and to accept any bid which in its judgment best serves the XXX interest. XXX reserves the right to reject a bid even after acceptance and notification of acceptance for any or no reason. XXX will not be obligated to the Contractor until the written "Contract for Services" regarding this Request for Proposals is fully approved and signed by both parties" is written on everything.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    May 1997
    I only look at resumes of team members after I have begun narrowing it down to a small number of prospects. Then what I find is that most firms and individuals, even ones I know to be good, present really bad resumes.

Registered
    May 2003
    I go with the matrix approach as well. Make a matrix of the items you asked for in the RFP. Note which are "essential" and which are "desirable." Give a 1-5 score for whether they answered and quality of the answer.

This lets you know who read the RFP and who "skimmed" it. You will usually know who you will hire (or the top two) before you even get to the resumes.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it
    I always like it when we get submittals where they forgot to adequately check the document and they have another jurisdictions ....
    That happened when we were reviewing RFPs for our permit tracking system last summer. A couple of firms were flushed for this reason. Use word search, folks.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    That happened when we were reviewing RFPs for our permit tracking system last summer. A couple of firms were flushed for this reason. Use word search, folks.
    And check to be sure you are using "Town" "Village" or "City" correctly for the municipality at hand!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 40
    Last post: 15 Mar 2013, 10:49 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 14 Apr 2011, 8:46 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Nov 2009, 1:21 AM
  4. Sorting through boxes of stuff
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Oct 2004, 11:13 AM