Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Writing sample - what to submit?

Registered
    Aug 2005

Writing sample - what to submit?

i've heard tell that it is sometimes beneficial to submit a writing sample with one's resume. seeing that i am a graduate student with little "real" planning experience what should i or could i submit as a writing sample?

a paper i've submitted for a class?
    the "plan" we wrote for our hypothetical city?

suggestions are welcome and needed!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think it would entirely depend on the sort of job you were applying for. It might also be useful to ask if they want it - some folks can get very put off by breaking the mould of their precious standardized applications.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Only supply one if requested. In reviewing resumes and cover letters, you are looking for specific items, a writing sample does nothing if it is not the review list.

If one is requested choose something that is relevant to the job. I would probably submit a portion of the Plan you have or any report style writing assignments. And make sure they are clean copies.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I look for any memo your particular proud of.

It should note case details and easy to understand. Try to find something that required you to interpret or research to offer a sound staff recommendation.

Sometimes, text amendments are good memos.

I had a class where we developed a plan for an area completely based upon soil types. So, something like that if not too long may be a good choice for submittal.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Don't forget to proofread and spell-check. You'd be surprised how many people neglect to do that.

Registered
    May 1997
    I always ask for a writing sample. If you are a student, a well-written SHORT paper is a good submission. What I like best are samples written for public consumption - like a brochure, pamphlet. etc. Staff memos are ok for those who are employed, but they are often obviously boilerplate.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Our policy is we request the writing sample only from those people who are in the running for the position, in the second round of review.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    thanks for the tips, everyone!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If you are applying for an entry level position that is asking for a writing sample, I as an employer would expect a class paper. I am not necessarily looking for a job relevant paper. Rather, I am looking at your writing style and ability to clearly communicate an idea.

Good luck.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I wouldn't supply a paper or anything like that unless asked. If you want to show off your writing skills, do it in the cover letter.

If you want to bring examples to an interview, then by all means go ahead. Perhaps it would be a good tie-in to your cover letter... for example:

"I am looking forward to an interview where I can provide examples of my work."

Or something along those lines.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Common writing sample topics?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Mar 2010, 12:10 PM
  2. Cornell writing sample???
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Jan 2010, 3:32 AM
  3. Writing sample