Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Monday, November 21, 2005 Noontime (Change) Question from Michaelskis

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Monday, November 21, 2005 Noontime (Change) Question from Michaelskis

Different people deal with change in different ways, some are all for it, others avoid it at all costs. Many of these changes are related to taking the next step. These steps or stages in peoples lives are everything from starting a new grade in school, moving to a new city, buying a first house or having a child. It can bring out the best and worst in a person.

How well do you deal with change in your life?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2003
    I keep the pennies in my desk for coffee in the morning. I save quarters for the laundry. The rest I just kinda deal with, I never have too much around but don't make a big effort to get rid of it.

Or are you talking about something else?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    I keep the pennies in my desk for coffee in the morning. I save quarters for the laundry. The rest I just kinda deal with, I never have too much around but don't make a big effort to get rid of it.

Or are you talking about something else?
    Smart A$$...

How will you deal with the stress from change from a new job, new house, a republican winning the 2008 election, or a girl friend?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Change?? Hmmm I still live in the same neighborhood I grew up in, went to school with many folks from Grade one to twelve, and high school / college with many folks from 9-Bachelors Degree.

Does this mean I do not like change? I do not like it when things change for the bad, but I certainly like good changes.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Great topic.

I've been told that I don't deal well with change, but what people don't realize is that it's because of my upbringing -- as a child, my world was not very stable, due to the death of one parent and the debilitating illness of another, moving around between relatives and schools, etc. I definitely avoid change in my personal and professional life, and when change is unavoidable, I'm stressed. Fortunately my spouse and friends have been very supportive. That helps a lot. Sometimes I have to take these things one day at a time...

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I grew up as a military brat and went through major life changes (schools, friends, cities (sometimes countries), culture, etc...) on a regular (every 3 to 4 years) basis. I think that growing up like this taught me how to adapt and assimulate into different circumstances rather easily. Although there were times that I wished I had a "hometown" and "life long friends", I wouldn't trade my military upbringing for anything.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Don't mind change myself, just that the pattern in my life has been that there's lots of change over a short period, and then a longer period of readjustment. Most recently that's been my wife's pregnancy and the birth of our child in September, and the readjustment period ever since.

On the whole change has been good for me, especially when it seems to put me closer to where I envision my life. But I could use a good stretch of stability right now.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My dad has a phrase he uses when dealing with mergers between companies-- he calls it "Cultural Inertia".

When it comes to my professional life, I thrive on and embrace change. My personal life is a whole nuther story... Stability is extremely important to me. I hate moving and when I buy a house, I plan on being in it for at least 20+ years.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

I'm cool with change if it's for the better, but if it's just change for the sake of change, or change for the worse, I can get a little beyotchy about it.

Like when the copier gets moved so it can be closer to somebody's desk and I walk back to the place the copier used to be for weeks before I get accustomed to the new locale.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I think I am alright with change, I pretty much let it roll off my shoulders. Do I initiate change? Not too much...
    My oldest is turning 8 tommorrow, that sort of change make me reflect on the past 8 years and leaves me with disbelief at how fast time really moves, I remember the day he was born like it was yestrerday, feels like it was yesterday...and now instead of toys, he wants Heely's (roller shoes), Tony Hawk video games, posters of Hummers, etc...this sort of change is a little more difficult for me, but beyond my control...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Generally speaking I dont think most folks view change as being desirable. I mean that in a way subject to much qualification, though - there are tens of millions of people on this earth starving and homeless who wouldn't mind seeing some change in their lives - I'm not talking about them. I'm talking in terms of folks who have at least got the bottom third of Maslow's heirarchy satisfied. For such people change represents a set of unkowns and an unknown is a variable that neccesarily makes planning for one's existence more difficult and complicated. And again, generally people do not wish to make things in their lives more difficult or complicated. It's one of the reasons that incumbent politicians enjoy such advantage - the devil they (the people) know is usually viewed as being preferable to the devil they don't know.
    Ironically, what most people want is not neccessarily the best thing for themselves. Most people produce their best efforts and manifest their best qualities under some sort of adversity. some have adversity thrust upon them and become stronger through dealing with it and a small handful of folks even go out of their way to find some sort of friction/difficulties in their lives so that they may deliberately transcend it.
    Me, I try to take a pretty zen view of change ....but don't always succeed in this regard.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I always get a kick out of local politicians running on "Vote for change" platforms. They rarely change anything and when they try, its widely opposed. Once I'd like to see someone run on "Vote for me so I can put it back the way it was 10 years ago" which is what they usually mean.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I am a serious AVOIDER of change. To my detriment in many ways. I'm a big fan of consistency.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I think change can be great, but it can also be frightening. I've gone through a lot of change over the past few years- from career to personal life and it's all been great. Scary and stressful at times, but good all-around. Life would be so stale if everything stayed the same.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i think it depends on the change. i prefer positive change, but sometimes positive change is cloaked beneath less-than-positive change. the key is to finding out how to make the change positive. granted some changes down right suck, but at least you can look forward to changing them back to the positive.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I said I take change well...I lied...my boss just resigned and I am not taking it too well...he's been here for a little over 4 years and is probably the best person I have worked for (in my short 7 year planning career ) and it is sad to see him leave.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I believe that we do better with change the more of it we have thrust down our throats..

I don't like it much but seems I have been in the middle of it for the last few years. I would like to settle in.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I guess it depends on the type of change it is. Bad changes are by nature more difficult to adjust to. Self initiated change is the easiest to deal with. having kids is a huge change, but mostly is self initiated. You are never really ready for the change until you come face to face with it. I like change in some things, not in others. I don't cope very well when a close friend or loved one moves away, but when I have moved away, it didn't seem like a big deal.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm not good with change, and usually stress a lot, although I have always liked moving somewhere new. That's kind of an adventure. But I want the Thanksgiving menu to always be the same, the traditional ornaments on the tree, my daily routine to stay the same, keep the same doctor, dentist, etc.

The good thing is that I now have meds to make it all better...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like change. I can adapt. Change is good.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Don't Move My Cheese!

Every day in the workplace, this Bear deals with change. My company has experienced a ton of growth in a five (5) year period. With that growth comes a lot more responsibility, new job duties for many employees, changes to the culture that many of the "seasoned" veterans don't like, etc.

As the organization has grown it has lost some of its' simplicity and some of its' "friendly feel". Growth does come with a price tag.....

When you have a small organization you may have an employee request to leave for an hour, maybe to see a doctor, etc. Easy to say, "Yes" and deal with it. But as a company gets larger, you have to put in controls to not let that sort of thing get out of hand, or worse.....break a law. The answer in the larger organization is "Can't do.....unless you fill out this form and it is given the OK by Joe." This change is viewed by long-term employees as "bad" change.
    _____

Katie would argue that I dopn't embrace change on the home front. She's right. But at the workplace, change is a constant.....and that is not going to "change".

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I grew up as a military brat and went through major life changes (schools, friends, cities (sometimes countries), culture, etc...) on a regular (every 3 to 4 years) basis. I think that growing up like this taught me how to adapt and assimulate into different circumstances rather easily. Although there were times that I wished I had a "hometown" and "life long friends", I wouldn't trade my military upbringing for anything.
    Budgie and I are in the same boat. But he's rowing, cause I'm lazy.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I handle change quite well. I haven't had large amounts of drastic change in my life...so far, but I can usually deal with it no matter what.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    But I want the Thanksgiving menu to always be the same, the traditional ornaments on the tree, my daily routine to stay the same, keep the same doctor, dentist, etc.
    Me, too...I want routine to stay routine, and for things to happen the way I expect. Funny, though, if a friendship falls through, no big deal. My dad was a salesman and we moved a few time; I think that's why the loss of a friendship isn't too big of a deal for me. BUT...our parish priest retired and we have a new pastor. And I am mourning the loss of the old one. The new guy is good, and initially I thought I liked him as the new pastor. He is a nice guy, but I miss the old pastor, who became a friend and confidant. I didn't expect to feel this way about this particular change..

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Being a typical taurean, l love routine- change makes me nervous!

But thinking about it retrospectively- change for me has been a good thing- i think you can gain more wisdom with change........

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Dec 2005, 1:27 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 14 Nov 2005, 6:50 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Nov 2005, 4:30 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 11 Oct 2005, 12:30 PM
  5. Replies: 20