Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anti-blank wall facade regulations

Registered
    Oct 2005

Anti-blank wall facade regulations

We are currently working on incorporating anti-blank wall facade regulations into our Neighborhood Commercial zones. I've found several cities with such regulations as they apply to big-box retail but haven't found many for neighborhood commercial-type areas. Anyone have any good examples of code text that deals with this issue?

Registered
    May 2003
    Check out the new Chicago codes, for the P-Street regulations. Sorry I don't have them on hand now but can look them up tonight. Basically they define build-to lines so buildings can't be built against the back of the lot for parking, require that the front door of the building be built along the P-Street designated road, and that a certain percentage of the first-floor facade be windows, and that those windows must be attractive to window-shoppers.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Out of curiousity, how does a "window attractive to window shoppers" get defined, or enforced?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    For a suburban setting, I believe Fort Collins, Colorado, has some standards.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Basically they define build-to lines so buildings can't be built against the back of the lot for parking, require that the front door of the building be built along the P-Street designated road, and that a certain percentage of the first-floor facade be windows, and that those windows must be attractive to window-shoppers.
    Code Section jordanb was referring to. - specifically Section 17-3-0504-C Transparency
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Overland Park, Kansas, has one of the more thorough sets of commercial design standards out there... it is comparable to Fort Collins.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A little [blank] in all of us
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Apr 2009, 4:07 PM
  2. Tempe, AZ will go wall-to-wall wireless
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 23 Jun 2006, 10:21 PM
  3. Fill in the blank.....