Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Virginia Tech

Registered
    Apr 2005

Virginia Tech

I would be interested in any thoughts that people might have regarding Virginia Tech's Department of Urban Affairs and Planning? It appears that they have a Masters program in Alexandria, but I can't be sure. Also, is the program completely based in Alexandria, or is it mixed up between Alexandria and Blacksburg.

Thanks for any help!

Peter

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I went to VT for a year... I know there's a lot of good drinking places there. That's about all I can add. But yes, their master's program is in Alexandria. And in all honesty, if you are going to study urban planning (as opposed to community planning), Alexandria is going to be a better locale than Blacksburg.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I attended Virginia Tech's W.A.A.C (Washigton Alexandria Architecture and Urban Studies Consortium) as an exchange program with L.S.U. for my last year of study. I am a Landscape Architecture graduate but I did take advantage of some of the Urban Studies classes the Urban Planning program offered. I took a New Urbanism class through the department taught by Peter Katz, author of "The New Urbanism." I learned alot fom this class, other urban theory classes taught at the main Architecture and Design building, and just being at the setting that is Old Town Alexandria. I loved this area from the walkability and quaintness of the old town, the access to METRO, the various bikeways (Mt. Vernon Trail), and of course all the cool bars down King Street.

I believe it is a strong program, but do yourself a favor: Take some of the urban theory classes at the Architecture building and interact with some of the students. They come from all over the world and most of them live right across the street at "The GALLERY" which is a set up student living quarters that is very cool to live at and be around. Attend some of the roof parties and tell George Makrinos that Hagen said Hi.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    i think your second of two years is spent in alexandria. virginia tech is a solid program, although i won't be applying there since it doesn't have the classes i really want.

Registered
    Mar 2003

Just for the record.

Tech has Master's programs in both locations.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by japrovo
    Tech has Master's programs in both locations.
    I stand corrected. The two folks I know that got their Master's from there relocated from the Blacksburg to Alexandria to do so.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Apr 2005

I should have asked this earlier....

Thanks for the info regarding VT's Alexandria campus. I actually walked by it earlier on Friday after having a Thanksgiving feast with some friends.

I should have asked earlier if the financial aid from VT is decent. The cost of living in the greater DC area is much higher than Blacksburg, and I would be curious to know what might be in the offering from the program. I couldn't find out any information from the website, but then again, I probably did not look hard enough.

Happy Thanksgiving!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Virginia Tech - Blacksburg
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 May 2009, 2:03 AM
  2. Virginia Tech Shootings
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 77
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 10:32 PM
  3. Replies: 8