Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: Should I Stay in bed or go?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do it! The deals are SWEET and you could always go back to bed.

13 34.21%
  • Stay in bed, sleep it off, and then go have coffee and cake with my mother, Z!

20 52.63%
  • Wait to see the ads, but don't spend any dough at "Sprawl" Mart

5 13.16%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ZMan's BLACK FRIDAY poll...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

ZMan's BLACK FRIDAY poll...

So, I got a tip that there will be some super sweet deals on laptops on the morning after Thanksgiving.
    The stores mentioned were Target, Best Buy, and someother store (based outta Arkansas I think ). I have been at the early shopping on Black Friday, but I may be curious as I heard good laptops may be as low as $349. (We'll see the insert in the Denver Post tomorrow and decide too.

So should I get up early and hit these clusterfarks of consumerism for a cheaper laptop? Or should I sleep off the haze of triptifan and dark Holiday Ale?

What are your plans for the day after?
    Last edited by zman; 23 Nov 2005 at 2:09 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    You gotta be kidding - there's no CHOICE here. Sleep in. Duh.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Go for it....

Skip Wally World though.....and take a beer with you Oh, and try to belch and hiccup as much as possible while shopping, it will clear the area out for you....

My plans involve ZERO shopping and not much activity beyond cleaning out the garage AGAIN! Up until the last couple of years, I loved to get out on the busy shopping day and start to get into the Christmas spirit (Shameless consumerism). My favorites were walking Larimer Street in Denver when they had the porta rink set up and chestnuts being cooked over an open fire.....with a lite snow and decorations up all over the place....oh yeah and the shameless consumerism....

Living this far south with such good weather most of the time makes it tough for me to get into the holiday spirit.....and by holiday spirit, I mean shameless consumerism....har har har....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    You gotta be kidding - there's no CHOICE here. Sleep in. Duh.
    Agreed. Nothing worse than shopping the day after Thanksgiving.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Do. Not. Go.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Go for it, pick me up one to. I'll send you a check

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I say sleep in and have some ale. Is spending your money at Target or BestBuy really any better than WalMart anyway??? (This from a rabid WallyWorld hater).

somewhat off-track:
    I have an untested theory - if something is going to make your life miserable anyway, why not benefit from it from time to time? And a $350 laptop has got to be one of their "Loss Leaders" (super-marked down items to lure you into the store where you'll inevitably buy jacked up items). So if you buy nothing else there, you might not really be 'supporting' the store by snatching up one of those items.

Just be sure not to get trampeled....

Not to encourage shopping at said store, but just a thought... and not to start an anti-walmart thread...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    No shopping for me on Friday; I never go on the weekend after Thanksgiving. We'll be decorating and then going to a Magic game.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Nope. All on-line shopping for me.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    If you go, at least enjoy some shopping games while you're out (Mystery Items, Cart Crash, Poltergeist, etc.). When I get pressed into service, I tend to revert back to my childhood days... that way I get pressed into shopping service less often.

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Nope. All on-line shopping for me.
    Boo Yah! And I ship direct to my folks back home. I let my sister wrap it all for me.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    No shopping for me on Friday; I never go on the weekend after Thanksgiving. We'll be decorating and then going to a Magic game.
    What she said.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Here is what you need to do. Swing by a local big box retailer find some young punk who is in dire need of some Mr. Washingtons and ask him if the laptops will be on sale. Once he says yes, give him your phone number and tell him to put one on the side for you, and when you come to pick it up on Monday afternoon, and he gives you the sale price, you will make it work his while.

Or you can show up to the store and threaten to rezone it agricultural if you don’t get it for the sale price.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm going to K-zoo and drive badly along S. Westnedge, just enough to cause major traffic problems! It will be great fun. If anyone is up for it, you can drive next to me while we head towards Crossroads at 3 MPH causing mass havoc.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    I'm going to K-zoo and drive badly along S. Westnedge, just enough to cause major traffic problems! It will be great fun. If anyone is up for it, you can drive next to me while we head towards Crossroads at 3 MPH causing mass havoc.
    Too late......someone beat you to it! I-94 is backed up for 5 miles in either direction near the US-131 interchange. (Mendelman, I hope you're reading this. It's true!)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    You and 10,000 other Blue Haired, Oldsmobile Driving, AARP carrying, Senior Discounted McDonald's Coffee Drinking, out of town-ers.

Locals already know how to get around town without using Westnedge.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Go to work. That is where I'll be at least until noon. The phone never rings and 4/5th of the people in the office are also gone.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My sister ended up spending last night in the Kzooplex. She called me from Climax this morning asking me what I could do about congestion on I-94 due to the snow.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Well, I saw the ads in our local paper up here. Best Buy will have a good sale on a Toshiba Laptop (before noon and while supplies last! We open at 5am!).

But Office Depot will have one on sale for Friday and Saturday, but you order it through the store and they ship it to you. (That way I may beat getting trampled by an overwieght, undercivilized consumer boob)

Also, my pops may be getting one from Dell or something, and I may be able to sweettalk my way into piggybacking on his order and get one there, leaving me to wake up late (although when I do "sleep in" it is to about 6am), and eating leftover turkey and non-yankee cornbread!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 1998
    [Hurricane Victim card]At least you people have malls, if you choose to go!!!![/Hurricane Victim card]

Honestly, this article pretty much sums up what the holiday shopping sentiment is in the N.O. area....... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10142344/
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'll be hitting the "lifestyle center" the day after Thanksgiving. I hope to complete at least half my shopping. Oh, and I still gotta get my Cyburbia Secret Santa.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

and....

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Here is what you need to do. Swing by a local big box retailer find some young punk who is in dire need of some Mr. Washingtons and ask him if the laptops will be on sale. Once he says yes, give him your phone number and tell him to put one on the side for you, and when you come to pick it up on Monday afternoon, and he gives you the sale price, you will make it work his while.

Or you can show up to the store and threaten to rezone it agricultural if you don’t get it for the sale price.
    If they run out of your computers........CODE ENFORCEMENT SWEEP, with a friendly call to the local INS division for illegal immigrant pickup....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    May 2003
    There was a $399 Dell laptop in the paper today. No need to brave the crowds.

Disclaimer. We have had Dells in our office, and a goodly number have had substantial problems.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear will join the early crowds at the area's biggest mall on Black Friday. I plan on being there when they open!

That would be Northern Lights Mall, located in the lakeshore suburb of Katie Shores. To get there from cenral De Noc you have to follow I-98 through town, head west on I-498, and head south on the Sturgeon Valley Parkway.
    _____

Seriously.....I will be miles from any shopping and that is fine with me. Cold turkey sandwiches, leftover stuffing (the world's best!), hot tea with honey (and later....Rolling Rock sodas). I will do some home projects, play on the internet, work on my fake city.

Bear

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    This Bear will join the early crowds at the area's biggest mall on Black Friday. I plan on being there when they open!

That would be Northern Lights Mall, located in the lakeshore suburb of Katie Shores. To get there from cenral De Noc you have to follow I-98 through town, head west on I-498, and head south on the Sturgeon Valley Parkway.
    That reminds me, I might have to go to the North Valley Mall and the River Gardens Center, both located in the northern section of my town. Oh man, I better get there early though. Melville Road and Ronald Reagan Highway will be complete gridlock by 9AM!!!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hmm... I don't know. Laptops are sexy. As someone that constantly moves back and forth across the continent I DO pay attention to laptops and sales... I'd check out the deals.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Nov 2011, 12:05 AM
  2. Zman's Compound: Apply Here
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 56
    Last post: 14 Mar 2011, 11:53 AM
  3. Black Friday 2010 thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31