Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning standards for community facilities

Registered
    Nov 2005

Planning standards for community facilities

Hi,

I'm currently working to develop proper planning standards for sports and community facilities here in Kuala Lumpur. At the moment what we have here are basic standards like 1 community centre per 20,000 population. But there are no detailed standards like what sort of facilities that could or should be accomodated in a community centre.

i'd greatly appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me on any such planning standards currently being used in the States or anywhere else for that matter. i'm also interested in the hierarchy of community facilties.

thanks people

While not exactly from a planning perspective, I was the project manager on the recently completed the Robert Livermore Community Center, in Livermore CA.
    That facility happened to be a 75,000 square foot facility. The programming of the facility was done in conjunction with a facility programming firm, the community, architect and client.
    Not sure if it helps you but you can look at the project descriptionby following the url to my web site, clicking on the projects tab; then the civic/education link and finally on the robert livermore link itself. Or just google the name.

The facility was built on an existing public park, and because of that, the park was woven through the new buildings. The building was separated into a community building and a recreation bldg.
    The community building held the administrative offices of the LARPD, a senior activities center which included a games room, an arts center, and a multipurpose room which could be used for functions and as a dining room for the senior lunch program. There were private conference rooms for counseling, etc.
    A large ballroom with an overhead acoustic partition (that can partition the ballroom into a 2/3, 1/3 space) with platform was designed to accomodate major events, weddings, etc.
    The recreation building, contained a full NBA size basketball court which could have two cross courts, a full size volleyball court, 2 cross court volleyball courts and 3 cross court badminton courts. A overhead retractable net curtain splits the court and allows for different configurations of game set ups. Locker rooms for both sexes with showers, changing rooms and restroom for the exterior Olympic length lap pools with disabled access and a zero depth playpool with playstructure & slide. There is an aerobics room with adjustable ballet bars. A child care center, a cafeteria or snack bar and a youth community area with games room (developed in conjunction with the teenagers of the community). Plus the back of house (loading dock, kitchens for the community center, offices, trash enclosure, pool eqpt building, aquatic bldg which houses the lifeguard offices and pay entry counters. Plus an exercise eqpt. room.
    There were two softball fields, an outdoor pick up basketball court, a community garden and parking.

It's actually a good idea to develop the program of each distinct community center with the members of the community itself. This helps create feacilities that need their specific needs and ensures they are fully utilized. Developing a standard model as part of your overall planning is a good idea but it needs to be flexible and to consider community input.

You might want to plan for both free standing structures and infill structures that incorporate existing buildings. Another factor to consider is to have these facilities built as sustainable/ green or environmentally friendly designed buildings. Beyond the obvious benefits of energy conservation and reusing resources, the buildings can then be turned into educational facilities that teach the community about sustainable design through interacting with the buildings themselves.

I.e. signs placed over urinals describing them as low or no water urinals, the amount of water wasted everday through flushing etc. or how reclaimed rain water from the buildings themselves are used for flushing, thus saving the government or local water company money by not having to treat potable water which is then flushed down toilets.
    Obviously there are many more ways of doing this.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Community/county facilities plan
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 May 2007, 5:04 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 3:18 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Dec 2000, 6:03 PM
  4. Community design standards
    Design, Space, and Place