Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Future City

Registered
    Nov 2005

Future City

i am in school and for a project i am doing a thing called Future City. I design a city on SimCity and then have to make a paper about how to re-do a rundown section of the city. Things i must include are water and sewage accessability. I was wondering if anybody could help me with that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Brandon
    i am in school and for a project i am doing a thing called Future City. I design a city on SimCity and then have to make a paper about how to re-do a rundown section of the city. Things i must include are water and sewage accessability. I was wondering if anybody could help me with that.
    What kind of help do you want? Sim City tips? Which sim city version to use or what?

I have experience in Sim City so ask away, although I'm in my last week of exams here so if it's extremely urgent I don't think I can help you, otherwise after Dec. 6th I'm free.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Interesting project Brandon, however I don't know why you would use SimCity for something you can show on paper... Don't get me wrong SimCity is a really great game it just has it's limitations and doesn't do what you're looking for well (which is to say act as a run down town).

You need to elaborate some more about what you want to show and the outcomes you are looking to prove, I can't help you very much on the information you gave, sorry.

~Jeff

Registered
    Jun 2004
    That's actually quite simple if you use SimCity 4. It has extensive maps and charts that you can access and take screen shots to add to your paper. it would just be a point of noting the conditions of before and after and what happened in between, i.e. what you did to improve the conditions.

Good luck

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My government career started out in the sewers. In public works there is an old saying:

Water seeks its own level while sh*t runs downhill.

It has more than one meaning. You would be surprise, though, how many people think they can connect to water when they are above the elevation of the tank, or think they can connect to a sewer when they are below the level of the nearest sewer line. Sure, you can always pump, but that adds significant costs.

I would imagine that the point your teacher is trying to make is that the availability of existing infrastructure can help to reduce the costs of redevelopment, versus the need to install new infrastructure on a greenfield site. This is theoretically true, and ususally holds true for small projects such as putting in a new house or a couple apartments. I have done a handful of larger redevelopment projects, and invariably run into problems.

Sometimes it is due to the age of the infrastructure. Clay sewer pipe was common until just a couple decades ago, and it has a habit of breaking when it is disturbed. When one pipe goes, it seems to set of a chain reaction and you will quickly be replacing dozens of sections. Other times there are conflicts which need to be resolved, such as crossed stormwater and sanitary sewers. Roads are another common problem, and the construction traffic even worsens that.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    My government career started out in the sewers. .
    Same here, line maintenance.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    My government career started out in the sewers. ...
    Same here: Code Compliance.
    Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Future of the city
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Dec 2011, 1:03 AM
  2. World's greenest city in the future
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 26 May 2009, 7:00 PM