Urban planning community

Poll results: How do you shop? (Choose multiple)

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sometime other than Christmas Season

5 15.63%
  • Day after Thanksgiving

3 9.38%
  • Early December

15 46.88%
  • Mid December

11 34.38%
  • As late as possible

10 31.25%
  • Multiple times

20 62.50%
  • Every weekend

4 12.50%
  • Week days

11 34.38%

17 53.13%
  • Re-Gift from last year

3 9.38%
  • Make Gifts

7 21.88%
  • In Big Box

13 40.63%
  • In Mall

15 46.88%
  • In Downtown

13 40.63%
  • Travel to other Town/City

4 12.50%
  • In your Town/City

15 46.88%
  • Other (Please List)

0 0%
  • None of the above (Please explain)

0 0%
  • Bah Humbug

5 15.63%
  • What is this Christmas You Speak of?

1 3.13%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Monday, November 28, 2005 Noontime (Holiday Shopping) Question from Michaelskis

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Monday, November 28, 2005 Noontime (Holiday Shopping) Question from Michaelskis

Tis the season… for standing in line at the mall, or not? Some people are doing their holiday shopping on line, while others will spend a day (Dec 24th) to do it all.

What are your holiday shopping habits? Is it online, or in the store? Do you go once, or over many weekends? Day after thanksgiving or Day before Christmas?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I just got half my Christmas shopping done on the day after Thanksgiving. I also try to plan what I am buying ahead of time and require lists of the people I'm buying for. I usually try to complete my shopping in the subsequent weekends (or weekdays this year since I'll be done with school Dec. 6) of early December. I try to do one to three big trips where I buy several presents for several people at a common location such as a mall, lifestyle center, power center, etc.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I can't handle marathon shopping, so I make multiple shopping trips, often depending on what I see advertised in the paper. Usually I do a lot of online shopping, but not so much this year.

Registered
    May 2003
    I typically head down to Marshall Fields the day before Christmas Eve and grab a bunch of crap.

I guess I'm going to have to find a new place to go now.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    I typically head down to Marshall Fields the day before Christmas Eve and grab a bunch of crap.

I guess I'm going to have to find a new place to go now.
    I hear ya. I loved going down there with my family after Christmas. I guess we'll go to Carson's from now on. It will still never be the same.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I don't do a whole lot of Christmas shopping, just for the boys, my parents and brother. I do always get their teachers a gift and something for the ex from the boys, otherwise thats really it. And I shop for most of their toys at Toys R Us or other big box during December. each year I tell myself in October that I am going to go put all the stuff in lay-away and get it out the week before Christmas but I never end up doing it, therefore all my Christmas shopping depends on the week I get paid during December....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Always on a Tuesday afternoon in the middle of December. That's when the crowds are the lightest.

Mike

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I always bicycle to my pedestrian-oriented town center and buy high quality, affordable, locally made gifts from local shops with historically appropriate storefronts. Always.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

doin my part for the local economy

i actually try to get as many gifts as possible in the town i live and work in - there are a couple of shopping events with discounts and there's 2 craft fairs that have pretty good stuff

then after that's done, i go online to finish up, usually right before you have to pay extra for shipping, lol/smirk

and to save money i bake for presents for people like neighbors, kids' teachers, etc. and make cd's of sampling of songs for personal friends - it's been a while since i've done a christmas music one so i may do that this year

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We got about half of our shopping done this last weekend. We had exceptionally good luck. I just have one more daughter to shop for.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Katie enjoys Christmas shopping. She doesn't mind the crowds. She grabs the list (if we have a list developed) and goes.

This Bear only shops for Katie. I make it a quick and easy weekday trip. I know where I am going, what I am getting. I get it and go back to whatever I was doing.
    Bah, humbug.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Katie enjoys Christmas shopping. She doesn't mind the crowds. She grabs the list (if we have a list developed) and goes.

This Bear only shops for Katie. I make it a quick and easy weekday trip. I know where I am going, what I am getting. I get it and go back to whatever I was doing.
    Bah, humbug.

Bear
    You're lucky Katie likes doing that. A lot of guys just dump the family shopping list on the wife and consequences be damned (still bitter from shopping for a dozen people I didn't know...)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I used to be one of those die-hard early Christmas shoppers, well until I moved here. Now my husband's birthday is in October, and the stepkids' birthdays are in late-October and mid-November. I found that if I buy in advance of the birthdays, that sometimes they get my Christmas gift for their birthdays. Ugh, what a pain. So now I have to wait until late-November or early-December to START shopping. Drives me nuts.

I tend to shop online whenever possible, just because it is so much easier than dealing with the crazy crowds at the malls here.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Just give cash, everyone uses it, no one returns it

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I usually take an afternoon or two off during December, I save up a personal day to split in December. I find shopping in the mall at 2 PM much nicer than 6 or 7 PM. I'll hit the one mall one time and the other one another time. I take a token trip to Red Bank, NJ usually, lots of Antiques and gift shoppes (yes two p's means more fancier, lol) I also try to make it into NYC during December and peruse the street vendors of SoHo and the Village some of the young artists have great pieces and usually around 25-50 dollars for a nice picture or painting that is one of a kind.

~Jeff

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    The only Christmas Shopping I've done yet is for my secret santa, which was sent last friday... but the rest will wait until I'm on vacations, starting next week.

As for places I avoid crowds and when I go to a mall I just go to the places I need to go and then leave. If possible I go to stores that are not in malls and that are not chains.

I also don't buy much gifts, beyond for my family and my girlfriend...

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Given the fact that most of my family is still without a permanent home, the gift-giving will be slim to none this year.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Nov 2005, 3:36 AM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 23 Nov 2005, 10:59 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 14 Nov 2005, 6:50 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Nov 2005, 4:30 PM
  5. Replies: 10