Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is Wal-Mart or Black Friday Shoppers to Blame?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Is Wal-Mart or Black Friday Shoppers to Blame?

This past Friday, when the doors at a Grand Rapids Area Wal-Mart opened, the individuals waiting, charged the opening door. Within the first few seconds of opening, several people tripped and fell or where knocked down, and trampled. Three people where brought to the hospital and where treated for injuries and released. Now many are blaming Wal-Mart for not having security guards. As much as I donít like Wal-Mart, I donít think that they are to blame. The people doing the pushing and shoving on the other hand, maybe they should be held responsible for their actions. Furthermore, from the video that they showed, many of the people who where knocked down where pushing and rushing just as bad as everyone else.

What are your thoughts? Should stores be held responsible for Crazy people acting like wild animals on a rampage to get cheep laptops and I-pods?

What about fights that breakout over gifts?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    What are your thoughts? Should stores be held responsible for Crazy people acting like wild animals on a rampage to get cheep laptops and I-pods?

Wal-Mart doesn't kill people. Only people at Wal-Mart kill people. Or something like that.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Yes, the people are clearly to blame. Although it didn't help the situation with Wal-Mart actually advertising in your face this season (they usually don't need to).
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2004
    The problem is when you have item priced way lower then what the market normaly will pay. Some people will pay $700 dollars for laptop and the supply can accomadate the demand; however price that same laptop for less then $400 dollars and the supply can not keep up and thus folks get violent... go figure.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Walmart is not to blame, IMHO.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman GŲring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I say if you show up early in the morning before the sun comes up to wait in line at Wal-Mart or any other retailer for cheap consumer goods maybe you deserve to be bloodied. Its like instant karma.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    Walmart is not to blame, IMHO.
    I agree. Although, isn't Wal Mart partially responsible for causing such hysteria?

Quote Originally posted by Senor Jefe
    I say if you show up early in the morning before the sun comes up to wait in line at Wal-Mart or any other retailer for cheap consumer goods maybe you deserve to be bloodied. Its like instant karma.
    I also agree with this. S.J., did you see the news report outta Denver about the guy who lined up at a Best Buy at 8:30pm Thanksgiving Night? Does family not hold a candle to good deals on electronics?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I thank Wal-Mart, for the comic relief provided by such idiocy.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    They all deserved what came it would seem.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I sure didn't see anything that was on sale that was worth even getting up for. Let alone getting trampled for!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    W......eeeelll, I can kinda blame the consumer when it's some idiotic item like Cabbage Patch dolls (was at a store years ago when they got a shipment; holy cow, it was scary being there) or whichever Elmo was so big. They're hot by hype. Deeply discounting laptops and only offering a few is guaranteed to bring on shopping hysteria. It's not the availability or the "have to have item" generated by consumers, it's the price drawing them in. Think of parents who really need a computer for their kids to compete in today's world; that would have been a great deal. Of course, I'm sure most of the shoppers weren't in that situation, but still...

I can put some of the blame on WM for this one.

Registered
    Nov 2004

Nutters.

This happened in London in February at the opening of an Ikea. Irelands first Ikea will probably (still has to go through the planning system) open soon. I may go along to watch the mayhem. It might be a little like a tower block being demolished. Fascinating and destructive all at the same time.

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/art...source=PA&ct=5

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    As much as I donít like Wal-Mart, I donít think that they are to blame. The people doing the pushing and shoving on the other hand, maybe they should be held responsible for their actions. Furthermore, from the video that they showed, many of the people who where knocked down where pushing and rushing just as bad as everyone else.

Only in Western Michigan do you find such behaviour. It is part of the culture there to be thrifty and conservative to the point of nonsense. In Northern Michigan they will just shoot you, and in the East you just find this sort of behaviour at basketball games.

Yes sir, I am kidding. I do agree people act like idiots trying to buy stuff now at these prices, especially since history has taught us that 'today's sale prices' are the regular prices in a couple of months. I personally think that people should not be spending thousands of dollars every year on Christmas gifts, and if they can afford to spend thousands, why in hell do they spend they money at trashy places like Walmart, on cheap junque?

Just goes to show you our nation's priorities are all out of whack. Of the people who got to Walmart when the doors open, how many devote that kind of time and effort to their child's school or community service. My guess is not a whole lot of them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Call me a Conservative Christian but when you are shoving people to get gifts for CHRISTmas hasn't the holiday already lost its meaning. You can buy someone a gift at anytime of the year and not just for Christmas. Perhaps people shouldn't be buying gifts that they cannot even afford unless they are on such extreme markdown that they are practically being given away. Honestly, there are people starving across this nation and we have morons pushing and shoving for gifts that their ungrateful children won't even like after a few months.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jringel
    Call me a Conservative Christian but when you are shoving people to get gifts for CHRISTmas hasn't the holiday already lost its meaning. You can buy someone a gift at anytime of the year and not just for Christmas. Perhaps people shouldn't be buying gifts that they cannot even afford unless they are on such extreme markdown that they are practically being given away. Honestly, there are people starving across this nation and we have morons pushing and shoving for gifts that their ungrateful children won't even like after a few months.
    I'm not Conservative nor Christian and yet I totally agree with you. It's Chri$tma$... (sorry if Christians find it offensive, but objectively speaking... it's what it has become)

Who to blame?
    People for not having the slightest impulse control.

WalMart for inducing people to buy things they can't afford normally by artificially lowering prices.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    The people are to blame.

It makes me sad to think that these are my countrymen.

I also agree with the sad fact that it is now Christma$. But it is what you make/let it.

Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    WalMart for inducing people to buy things they can't afford normally by artificially lowering prices.
    As opposed to naturally lowering prices? What constitutes an artificial lower price?

Every store in the country offers door buster deals yet the majority of these tramplings happen at Wal Mart. That is because many people who shop at Wal Mart do not know how to behave in a socially appropriate manner. When someone falls down you need to stop, help them up, ask if they are ok, then continue on with your business. Not run them over in hopes of getting some peice of crap dvd player that will likely not work by this time next year. There is a reason that portable DVD player with the lcd screen is 80 bucks...because it is junk.

If I ran the world I would have some rules:

1. If you run through the store, you get tasered. The store is not a gym. Please walk.
    2. If somone falls down and nobody helps them up, nobody gets anything. You will all be kicked out of the store. No civility, no common sense, no service. If you argue with me, you get tasered.
    3. If you come to a register and claim that the price on the shelf is $5 for an item that obviously should be $50, my employees have a right to punch you in the face.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Not to be contrarian to the popular view... but Wal-mart shoulders some of the burden here. Why did violence erupt at this one Wal-Mart and not others?

The clientele at the Grand Rapids Wal-Mart isn't necessarily the worst the US has to offer.

I know many Wal-marts who used some kind of ticketing system to determine who could get what discounts. No such measures were taken at this Wal-mart. Clearly, Wal-mart had the means and wherewithall to prevent this type of problem. The folks at Grand Rapids couldn't, or chose not to.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Nov 2011, 12:05 AM
  2. Black Friday 2010 thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 30 Nov 2010, 10:48 AM
  3. Annoying Shoppers Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 65
    Last post: 16 May 2006, 12:06 PM