Registered
    Nov 2005

Stormwater management

If there is in a mood for this subject please discussthis planning issue:
    Storm water management

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Storm water is a pretty broad topic...

Maximize infiltration, mimize the amount of water carried away by pipes.

They can do amazing things with ponds these day (I sit beside a storm water engineer).

How's that for a start?

*spark*

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally posted by vancobubov
    If there is in a mood for this subject please discussthis planning issue:
    Storm water management
    sorta like watchng paint dry is reading a stormwater management plan - think "peer review" - lol

actually, i have to re-write my stormawater stuff but i'm hiring an engineer to do it

Registered
    Nov 2005

stupid penguins

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    sorta like watchng paint dry is reading a stormwater management plan - think "peer review" - lol

actually, i have to re-write my stormawater stuff but i'm hiring an engineer to do it
    think of the dolphins

Registered
    Oct 2005
    My County has a significant river running through it and my site review engineer and I have talked many times about why the heck we have storm water detention at the mouth of the river?!?

What we really need is a *gasp* Regional Stormwater Plan in which the areas closest to the mouth of the river (the bay or ocean) get to dump their water fast, especially if you are right on the banks. The areas more up stream have to hold their water longer and subsequently longer, because what you have is all the detention facilities filling up and slowly they all trickle out for 24-48 hours which impacts the down stream properties while they are trying to still trickle out their water. If a down stream property could discharge their water early their basins or structures could be empty for when the crest hits and not compound the problem in their areas.

I know it's a broad and probably unlikely idea since we have hundreds of facilities already operating at the level they are, but would be an interesting theory to explore.

~Jeff

Registered
    Nov 2002
    On projects requiring stormwater managment reports, we require that they must show that post-development off-site runoff will not exceed pre-development conditions.

A long standing pet-peeve in these parts is the impact of state highway stormwater management facilities on local stream water quality. Can you say sediment control (or lack thereof)?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    From the City of Charleston UDC
    Development design shall accommodate stormwater runoff from 100-year floods.... Maximum discharge from a development shall not exceed the volume or velocity of runoff from the 10-year storm event based on pre-development conditions.
    100 year proposed must be equal to 10 year existing. This reduces the flow from the site and results in some creative detention methods. Ideally, the basins will discharge into a storm sewer. But if not, you do end up with water trickling into the downstream properties like Tide mentioned.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Sotrm drainage is one of our biggest issues right now. We have a lot of subdivisions that have incredibly poor drainange plans. All properties are required to retain their stormwater and can release it into the storm drain at .2 cfs. The problem is that properites get regraded, the landscaping changes, etc. often without city knowledge. The result is downstream properties getting flooded almost every moderate storm that we get. We have had two large slopes fail i nthe last 6 months because people have removed retention basins at the bottom of the slopes, and they then blame the city when their house floods.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Stormwater management requirements
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 18 Jan 2007, 12:52 PM
  2. Historic district stormwater management
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Aug 2005, 3:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Jun 2005, 8:42 AM