Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 Noontime (I want it) Question from Michaelskis

Registered
    Apr 2003

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 Noontime (I want it) Question from Michaelskis

Some people are a bit more assertive than others at obtaining things such as jobs, cars, houses, businesses, and similar high priced items. We see in movies as wealthy people just buy something even though it is not for sale. While others will at least approach someone to make an offer or inquire about a job.

Have you ever assertively pursued something that you really wanted? No, relationships do not count.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2005

It only makes sense...

Of course I have. It only makes sense that if you want something (career, house, car, acceptance to a institution of higher learning) that you do whatever it takes to achieve it - or atleast put yourself in a position to achieve it.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

avast ye mates!

i have been assertive in getting the career path i wanted

but i will say that you can jump off the cliff of assertiveness where you can become a pain in the @$$!!!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004

In all things moderation is the key

It's necessary to secure employment so that one can earn money to exchange for the food, clothing, shelter and other goods/services necessary for one's family to subsist on. I worked diligently to obtain employment where I'm at. Now that I earn sufficient income to meet my family's material needs, I can focus my energies towards wants and needs higher up on Maslow's hierarchy.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michiganplanner
    Of course I have. It only makes sense that if you want something (career, house, car, acceptance to a institution of higher learning) that you do whatever it takes to achieve it - or atleast put yourself in a position to achieve it.
    So, if you could afford it would you walk up to someone who you did not know yet owned car that you liked and asked them if they would sell it to you, even if it was not listed for sale and there was no indication that he was planning on selling it?
    What about a house?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    What about a house?
    My parents were once riding around town with a realator looking at houses. Mom pointed to a house she liked for an example of what the realator should show them (it was not for sale). The relator stopped and asked the owners of that house if they wanted to sell it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    So, if you could afford it would you walk up to someone who you did not know yet owned car that you liked and asked them if they would sell it to you, even if it was not listed for sale and there was no indication that he was planning on selling it?
    What about a house?
    No. But I'd probably take a trip to the local dealership to get my own. I must have misinterpreted the question. Was their a "take it from whomever" bend to the question? That only seems to work in Hollywood movies. I should clarify my "do whatever it takes to achieve it," I did not mean take it from others. (does that make sense?)

With a house....I might talk to the owners and plant a seed. So if they were to ever sell - they would think of me. That scenario I know happens.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    yep...currently, actively working towards a position within the City...haven't gotten it yet but in the running....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I think I'm an example of how being unassertive can also lead to living just like you want... Some call it luck, others call you lazy, I just live inertially; sure I make the decisions, but if it works it's mainly social inertia.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I've probably gone through my whole life acquiring things in a steadfast and patient way, rather than an assertive or aggressive way. Usually nothing can deter me from my chosen path, but I pursue things in a fairly emotionally detached way.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I've been pretty assertive in my career pursuits, mainly because my dad works in the area of human resources and has pounded this into my head. One example is when I heard about a particular job opening before interviews were actually scheduled. I made a phone call and and told the director that I'd be in the area (next week) and could we get together to talk more about the position? I don't know if he was impressed or caught off guard, but I got the appointment, then a 2nd interview, then an offer (that I didn't take).

It's important to find a comfortable place between pushy/annoying and aggressive, but if you can get outside of the comfort zone, it works!

With relationships, I have been known to ask the guy on a date, in a casual way. Perhaps I am just impatient?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Not too aggressive in the way of obtaining things. Maybe it is because I cannot seem to decide on one thing, ever in my life.
    I tend to get excited about something, but then the excitment fades. I have learned to be more careful in acting upon that excitement, so that I do not spend money of exert effort on something that will not "stick".
    EXAMPLES:
    I love my house, but I often think that I could be somewhere else, or what my next move will be.
    I have owned my car for about a year now. But I have already lined up what my next car will be (although what type of car will change constantly, right now I would like a compact pick-up), and I even thought about what would happen if I traded my car in, or got something else right now.

So I guess I will answer "no" to your question, Ski Buddy, I want things but I just don't seem to be sure enough to activitly get them.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    And here I was thinking about approaching a person who owns many rental homes in a neighborhood that I was thinking of moving to. Many of them are older homes that have been broken into multiple units, and I would change it back into a single owner occupied structure.

None of them are for sale right now, but if I approach him, offer him some $$, he might just want to unload them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 Nov 2005, 10:34 AM
  2. Replies: 51
    Last post: 17 Nov 2005, 5:25 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Nov 2005, 5:44 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Nov 2005, 11:39 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last post: 11 Oct 2005, 4:20 PM