Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Portland State

Registered
    Sep 2005

Portland State

Does anyone have any experiences or comments on what is most important in the application process for Portland State's grad program?

Also, are there any specific people teaching in the program who you would recommend speaking to about getting into the program?

Thank you.

Registered
    Nov 2005

Psu

I've been filling out application materials for PSU's MURP program. I contacted Professor Ethan Seltzer (dkes@pdx.edu) who is the department's chair (I believe). Regardless, he was helpful. Not sure what is important to include in your application. Perhaps that would be a good question for him.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Get in contact with Jennifer Dill. She is (or was) the chair of the admissions committee. I applied there back in january and went and visited the school. I met with her and Ethan Seltzer, as well as James Strathman. All were very friendly.

I sat in on some classes and enjoyed what I saw. However, I realized (since I was visiting in January) that I would not be able to handle the winters in Oregon.

I was accepted, but without financial aid. Tuition there is ridiculously high for a state school, even if you are an in-state student.

I ended up going to (or staying at, as it would be) U of Texas at Austin. The program here is very different, but the weather is so much better. Plus, the out of state tuition here at UT is less than the IN STATE tuition at Portland State

As far is what is important in the application process...

I'd say two things: Letter of Intent and previous experience (internships, etc.) since most people there have been working for a while. Going up there and meeting with faculty couldnt hurt, either.

Registered
    Sep 2005

Question

Thanks for the information.

Did you have experience in planning before you applied?

Also, am I correct that the out-state is about $5,000 per semester?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen
    Get in contact with Jennifer Dill. She is (or was) the chair of the admissions committee. I applied there back in january and went and visited the school. I met with her and Ethan Seltzer, as well as James Strathman. All were very friendly.

I sat in on some classes and enjoyed what I saw. However, I realized (since I was visiting in January) that I would not be able to handle the winters in Oregon.

I was accepted, but without financial aid. Tuition there is ridiculously high for a state school, even if you are an in-state student.

I ended up going to (or staying at, as it would be) U of Texas at Austin. The program here is very different, but the weather is so much better. Plus, the out of state tuition here at UT is less than the IN STATE tuition at Portland State

As far is what is important in the application process...

I'd say two things: Letter of Intent and previous experience (internships, etc.) since most people there have been working for a while. Going up there and meeting with faculty couldnt hurt, either.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I think that the out of state costs are a bit higher. If I remember correctly, you might be looking at closer to $12,000 a semester.

Peter

Registered
    Nov 2005

PSU Costs

Check out their website, but here's what I've found

For full-time students, the rate is $3155 in-state and $5231 for out-of-state. I'm under the impression, however, that PSU is on a quarter scale and most in this program enroll in 3 quarters, so you could multiply those numbers by 3 for a year's tuition. Not sure about all that, but check out the website. I'm interested to know what you figure out. Also, PSU takes part in a Western Regional Graduate Program so if you're from one of the accepted states (AK, AZ, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, ND, SD, UT, WA WY) you may qualify for in-state tuition.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

From Portland

I cannot say anything about the MURP program at PSU, but I was an undergrad student there before I took a job transfer to South Carolina.

Winters are not bad in Portland, it just is cool and rainy/drizzly but rarely snows. PSU is on the quarter system which is about $5K for out of state last time I checked. However, if you get an assistantship your tuition will be rolled back significantly and there are MANY opportunities at PSU for grad assistants because of their unique undergraduate general education program which requires graduate student mentors (one course I had that was more sociology had a graduate English student as its mentor).

I know that I am a little biased since I am a Portland native and former undergrad student, but it is a good school in a unique environment. I am applying for the MURP program there since I would like to go 'home'.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Apr 2013, 9:03 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Mar 2013, 4:39 PM
  3. Portland State
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 May 2008, 10:24 PM
  4. Columbia and Portland State
    Student Commons