Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any sociology majors?

Registered
    Nov 2004

Any sociology majors?

Yeah, I know. Let me splain'

I have a background in geographic information systems and would like to use my skills in this field to move into more of a demographic analysis type career. Demography is interesting to me because you study populations in-depth and do a ton of data manipulation and statistical analysis. I'm currently majoring in Public Administration but am starting to hate it. The political/law side of it is wearing me out... I just have no interest in it anymore. I loved the introductory courses but have completely lost interest as far as the public budgeting, legislative process, etc. I think I may switch to Sociology and use my public aministration classes as electives to support it. As for graduate school, I'm planning on an MS in Computer Information Systems to further enhance my skills as a "data mechanic".

I don't want to get a useless degree or anything, but I just can't deny my interest in sociology. I look at the degree plan and every single course looks like loads of fun. I'd rather do something I enjoy than something I hate, regardless of what my future job prospects are. Keep in mind that I've worked in local government for 8-years, so I'm not exactly going to come out of college with a sociology degree and zero experience. I'm looking more for career enhancement and a way to open the door to graduate school.

I'm trying to be realistic but....
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I have a minor in Soc. Urban Studies. I a only a couple credits short of a major in it. If I wanted to extend my college expereience one more semester and take a statistics class I would have had the major.

I studied a lot of demographics and how people interact with eachother and their built environment.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i got my undergrad degree in Sociology. while i very much enjoyed the classes and learned a lot of useful knowledge, a Sociology degree alone won't get you very many jobs, unless you're looking for something in Health & Human Services.

its my opinion, and i could be way off or jaded by my experiences, that these days an undergrad degree really doesn't mean much unless you are in a more specialized field like engineering or accounting or landscape architecture. if you want a job that is specialized and you have a relatively vague undergrad degree, like Soc. or Psych. then you'll need to get your Masters in whatever field interests you.

since you already seem committed to obtaining a Master's in Information Services, i'd say go for the Sociology degree. if it is something that you enjoy and are interested in, go for it. just keep the grades up so that when it comes time to apply for grad school they'll eager and interested in having you join their program.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    i got my undergrad degree in Sociology. while i very much enjoyed the classes and learned a lot of useful knowledge, a Sociology degree alone won't get you very many jobs, unless you're looking for something in Health & Human Services..
    Yup, agreed. I also received a BA in Sociology. I had the same thought process of "well, it's more interesting than accounting, so I might as well major in it." After graduation it was a bit tough to find work, but all you really need is a college degree and MS Office skills to get your foot in the door just about anywhere. It was more appealing to graduate schools because there aren't many of us (I'm the only soc. major in my program). My advice though is that if you're interested in it, go for it; in my mind it's tough to justify pursuing a degree you're not enjoying.

And Dandy, like I always say, knowledge is never useless!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm thinking that maybe Sociology is a good major if you plan on going to graduate school (which I definitely do), but not so great if you don't plan on going past a bachelor's degree.

I really think I would love Sociology and, as Smith said, it's not worth pursuing a degree that you're not interested in.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    I'm thinking that maybe Sociology is a good major if you plan on going to graduate school (which I definitely do), but not so great if you don't plan on going past a bachelor's degree.
    Yeah, there are certainly different majors to pursue if you're only concerned about marketing yourself to employers, but I really think the liberal arts are the way to go best learn about the world. Plus Sociology has a built-in crap detector, which is awesome.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. An urban planning related job with sociology BA?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 May 2011, 10:43 AM
  2. Sociology vs planning
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Feb 2010, 9:53 AM
  3. Majors
    Student Commons
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 20 Aug 2008, 11:52 PM
  4. Replies: 4