Urban planning community

Poll results: Do you light up the out side of your house?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have a few lights in the window’s and bushes

8 23.53%
  • Yes, I have lights on the corners of the house, and in the yard

4 11.76%
  • Yes, it looks like Santa Land

0 0%
  • Yes, and it is bright enough to tan pedestrians

2 5.88%
  • Yes, they have a Nuclear Generator assigned to my outdoor outlets

0 0%
  • No

11 32.35%
  • Bah Humbug you Hoser wanna-be.

5 14.71%
  • Other (please explain)

4 11.76%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 Noontime (Decorate the House) Question from Michaelskis

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 Noontime (Decorate the House) Question from Michaelskis

Some people put up a tree, some people will hang a wreath, others will put enough lights on their house that it can be seen from space and confuses airline pilots.

Do you hang lights on the out side of your house? If so, how crazy do you get? Do you have neighbors that light up the neighborhood with glowing Santas and 1000 watt Rudolphs?
    You get what you give.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Live in a garden apartment, no outside lights for us. We do however have a Christmas Tree everyone can see.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    How would you like to live across from this guy?

SOUND WARNING you may want to wait till lunch.
    Also, this site has NSFW stuff on it as well. But this link is ok.

As for us, we currently have no outside decorations, but I don't know how long I can hold that off.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I chose "other" as I have one strand of larger, multi colored bulbs across the first floor roofline and one big balloon-like blow-up snowman in the front yard. After this weekend, there will be a Christmas Tree in the front window and thats all the decorations I put up...oh and the stockings on the fireplace mantel...I hate storing Christmas stuff. When I drive around and see these people with stuff ALL over thier lawns, often things that require building (permit anyone ) I wonder what the he!! they do with the crap all year long...

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Four Words:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

I go a little nuts with outdoor lighting...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

14.29% = Tanning Pedestrians

Mrs. G had the place lit up like the Copacobana one year It was a single strand of the big all white lights strung along the fascia under the front porch roof. It cast light 8m out into the front yard, almost to the sidewalk.

She has since switched to mutli-color lights and garland trim and that seems to have dimmed the effect noticeably.

We are actually pretty sedate compared to some of the folks up the street with the flamboyant Queen Annes.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We'll put up some white lights along the eaves and probably around the windows as well. This will be our first year doing this at our new house, and hopefully it'll turn out good.
    I was going to put up the lights last weekend, but with 60 mph winds, I didn't want to blow off the ladder.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We try to keep things simple and low key: we only run the animatronic 8 reindeer/sleigh display on the roof from 7-9 p.m. We take pains to ensure that the p.a. system pipes Christmas music only during the same hours and that the sound level does not exceed 50 Db(a) at the property line. We always make certain that the 17 strings of multicolored non-synchronous flashing lights are tastefully arranged and do not exceed 2.5 footcandles at the property line and all of our decorations are up no sooner than October 31 and are promptly removed by no later than February 14th.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2002
    We do minimal outdoor lights - a few strands of small white lights that run along the eaves and tree garland on the porch. These stay on until 10 or 11 or so at night. We also have white electric candles in the windows that stay on all night long.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    While at a job interview yesterday, I heard about a cool?/gross? adaption of decorations. Not knowing the town I didn't drive by. This guy has one of those wire 3D deer hanging by its rear legs from a tree. He wrapped a string of red lights around its neck with a strand hanging down. The red lights are programed to flow down like dripping blood.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Just a few lights around the front door, a couple of spotlights and a wreath. Some years we get fancy and put pine boughs underneath the windows.

Maybe tomorrow's question could be when this all happens?!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Colored lights on the bushes. That's all.

We do a lot of indoor decorating though...two trees and lighted railings.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I put up only a few strands of lights on a single pine tree in my front yard. I only put up white nonblinking lights.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    The kids enjoy the lights. I hate putting them up. I usually lose. We light the outside of our house and we are looking at getting a deer for the yard.

Regardless, our lighting pales in comparison to our neighbors.

One of them has two giant inflatable things... apparently they've sprung a leak, as each evening they have to pump them back up.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Mar 2004
    No 'Griswald House' choice on that list???

Here, just a few strings in the bushes.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Breed
    One of them has two giant inflatable things... apparently they've sprung a leak, as each evening they have to pump them back up.
    I haven't seen those on my street.... yet. I do live in the county, so it wouldn't surprise me to see those tacky things. Maybe the "wind" will "blow" them away... to a construction dumpster....

Looks like I am putting lights up this weekend. The GF called to say she picked up some extra extension cords at lunch today.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Breed
    The kids enjoy the lights. I hate putting them up. I usually lose. We light the outside of our house and we are looking at getting a deer for the yard.

Regardless, our lighting pales in comparison to our neighbors.

They probably "turn them off", when they are turned off, the fan motors stop and the thing deflates, when you plug them in the fans turn on and the thing re-inflates. I turn mine off every night and when I get home from work I turn it back on and it inflates, during the day is just lays on the ground...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've got a couple strands of twinkly lights in the hedge along the front of the house. But I may put up the icicle lights in the carport this weekend. I do most of my decorating indoors.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bah Humbug!

I had the pleasure of helping 2 people decorate their houses last weekend. I think I'll skip doing mine.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'll be putting up my 8 ft. tall Homer Santa Claus this weekend. Can't wait.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We've become supremely lazy about putting up Christmas decorations in the last few years. That's okay -- our neighbors across the street have their house lit up like Fort Knox whether it's Christmas or not, so I'll let them run up the electric bill.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    No exterior lights at Chez Bubba, although the wife does insist on the candle-in-the-window thing. Enough of the neighbors on my street have large outdoor light displays that the county could shut down the streetlights for the rest of the month...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've got the soft glow of electric sex in my living room window.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I've got the soft glow of electric sex in my living room window.
    And quite funny enough the kid from Christmas Story that loves that lamp so much ended up in adult films.

We have a wreath and last year we were the only people on our street to put up lights but this year nearly everyone has them up. I'm not sure if I want to put ours up now though, everyone in the neighborhood got the icicle lights too and now I think I want something different.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 08 Dec 2005, 12:43 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Nov 2005, 4:36 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 22 Nov 2005, 11:15 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last post: 17 Nov 2005, 9:10 PM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last post: 09 Nov 2005, 10:14 PM