Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Traffic calming... to the eXtreme!

Registered
    Dec 2003

Traffic calming... to the eXtreme!

Ok, I've seen all kinds of traffic calming methods: traffic circles, on street parking, speed bumps/humps, narrow lanes, misalignment, etc but this may be the world's first use of a livingroom set as a means of slowing people down.

Heck, for a hundred dollars and a couple of hours at a flea market, you could do a whole neighborhood!
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Dec 2003

I'm gonna do that!

After a 50K study determined that my neighborhood didn't warrant traffic calming, we were all rather miffed. When 10K could have paid for a couple of speed humps, the cost of all that paper seemed so wrong. Since I've been living here, a couple of kids and many pets have been hit by cars.

What we need now is a piece of guerilla art like this. I have an old sofa that a former tenant left, a cheap coffee table, and all the details necessary to complete the scene. Of course the way old furniture is scavenged in my 'hood, I know it won't last long. The police probably wont even notice.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Feb 2003

Interesting Article

I saw this article today (linked from boingboing.net) and was dismayed by the attitude that was taken by some of the drivers - that he was psychotic. I though it was brilliant! He is a) taking up a parking space and b) definitely slowing traffic down.
    The other thing I noticed was that the posted speed in the neighborhood says 30 mph. Odd that the article keeps mentioning MPH when its in Oxford, England. None of the signs say mph (or km/h for that matter). In any case that speed is close to school zones in the US, and if the article is incorrect, and it is km/h then it's SLOWER than most school zones. Either way, a street with this speed limit would definitely not be a cut-through street. If it receives more than just neighborhood resident traffic then something is wrong. It may be that the worst offenders in the area are from the area.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I noticed the use of MPH too and thought it was weird. I always thought that speed in the UK was measured in the metric system. If the report was in an American newspaper I would think it was a mistake but since it is the BBC, they should know the correct measurement system.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Dec 2005
    The UK still uses Miles Per Hour. It is the "english" system after all
    Although, on their weather reports they tend to use Celsius.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    After a 50K study determined that my neighborhood didn't warrant traffic calming, we were all rather miffed. When 10K could have paid for a couple of speed humps, the cost of all that paper seemed so wrong. Since I've been living here, a couple of kids and many pets have been hit by cars.

What we need now is a piece of guerilla art like this. I have an old sofa that a former tenant left, a cheap coffee table, and all the details necessary to complete the scene. Of course the way old furniture is scavenged in my 'hood, I know it won't last long. The police probably wont even notice.
    A teacher of mine once told us in class that you can do your own traffic calming at 2 in the morning with a pick axe, lol. He said it was just reverse speed humps.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Great....

What a great way to drive home the point that automobiles should be secondary to pedestrians in every way in heavily urbanized areas. Bravo mr. living room in the street guy....bravo.....now will anyone listen.....most likely not..... The engineers will still design wide open roads because its cheaper and bids tend to be won by the lowest bidder and cheaper pedestrian unfriendly projects approved by politicians.....blah blah blah....on and on......
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Thoughts on traffic calming
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 30 Jan 2011, 8:49 PM
  2. Traffic calming
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 07 Mar 2007, 4:11 PM
  3. Failed traffic calming