Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is it me, or what can I do to fit into my work place better?

Registered
    Sep 2001

Is it me, or what can I do to fit into my work place better?

Sorry a super long rant and questions follow. Trust me I edited this down to the bare bones. Please feel free to answer one or any of the questions. Now you can see how I have had the time to post over 5K.

Well, the honeymoon is over at my “new” job and I realize once again I have made a mistake, but this time I am not sure if it is (like it was last time) or if my employer is being unreasonable and has unreasonable expectations of the job title I hold.

Here is some background:

1) Job Title – Planner 1 – expectations in job description minimum 2 years experience, will work under the supervision of Planner and Sr Planner in doing studies and tasks. Was offered one pay, at which responsibility and action would be expected, then when I went to sign the papers for the job, they reneged on the offer. Due to my circumstances, I had to take the job no matter what, plus what they offered is fair, if the responsibilities corresponded.

2) Actual job, will over see and manage development applications (working on 2 right now worth approximately 2 billion each), will develop work plans and liase with applicant’s consultants (but be left completely out of the political and managerial loop – see reason above). Also manage a few other contracts and work on a few small studies. Be advised I took this job in a policy section as I did not want to do development review and took a “lower” level job as I wanted to see if a reduction in responsibility would rekindle my enjoyment of planning, because at the end of the day I do enjoy it.

3) Recognize that at this office they have a development approval process that works outside and parallel to the legislative framework. It is basically a “custom” approval process they have developed through negation with the development industry. I had no knowledge or understanding of this process before I started. I have been given 2 that are complete clusterf@@@s in terms of process, politics and where they were in the process when I started (half complete). Both are politically charged becasue of who the players are.

4) I am now getting blamed for previous oversights and delays and an applicant has threatened my job security and my Commissioner has supported the threat.

5) My Commissioner has threatened all of my sections jobs due to some jokes and comments we made about how the morale and actions of an office coordinator is making us feel. He escalated it so high, that a HR person and Union Rep were there during his chastising of us. To show how petty he and one of the directors who caused this issue are, he chewed us out for suggesting people should make appointments to see us, and that watching the clock is not really productive. This is based on a single person’s complaint and the way in which she manages the office.(laminated signs on things, making you sign for new pens and pads of paper, having to send 5 emails if you have an off site appointment) Our Director had already asked us to change our attitudes about these items, and we were.

6) During a presentation to the Department, on an item I had somewhat self initiated at my manager's request, and the Commissioner likes it, he said “now I know why we hired you” in front of the entire department. While I assume it was supposed to be a joke, considering items 4 and 5, I don’t find it too funny and actually de*****tes the work I actually do.

So here is what I need some help with, how do I deal with this guy?

I work in a union environment and since he has already called the union in on me, is it advisable to inform the union of his transgressions towards me? ie job threat and the backhanded complement in front of the entire department

Do I complain and go dumb and act like a person with only 2 years experience and complain that some of the tasks are outside my experiences and knowledge base as well as my personal and professional work ethic?

If I do that, do I risk jeopardizing the tasks I am managing and working on and enjoy?

Do I risk alienating my manager and Director by registering these complaints? They are not bad people and are actually pretty good people to work with.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

     
    Registered
    Dec 2005

Hmmmm

I don't know the roles of responsibilites of planners, as of this time butttt. In regards to unions and union protection, you should inform the correct union official regarding your problem(s). I am not saying to cry and moan about it but indeed advice someone, in your union, regarding your problem. You didn't indicate how long you have been there but if it's under 6 months, I'd give it more time as this will give EVERYONE who works with you a real chance to assess your performance, etc.

Quote Originally posted by donk
    Sorry a super long rant and questions follow. Trust me I edited this down to the bare bones. Please feel free to answer one or any of the questions. Now you can see how I have had the time to post over 5K.

Well, the honeymoon is over at my “new” job and I realize once again I have made a mistake, but this time I am not sure if it is (like it was last time) or if my employer is being unreasonable and has unreasonable expectations of the job title I hold.

Here is some background:

1) Job Title – Planner 1 – expectations in job description minimum 2 years experience, will work under the supervision of Planner and Sr Planner in doing studies and tasks. Was offered one pay, at which responsibility and action would be expected, then when I went to sign the papers for the job, they reneged on the offer. Due to my circumstances, I had to take the job no matter what, plus what they offered is fair, if the responsibilities corresponded.

2) Actual job, will over see and manage development applications (working on 2 right now worth approximately 2 billion each), will develop work plans and liase with applicant’s consultants (but be left completely out of the political and managerial loop – see reason above). Also manage a few other contracts and work on a few small studies. Be advised I took this job in a policy section as I did not want to do development review and took a “lower” level job as I wanted to see if a reduction in responsibility would rekindle my enjoyment of planning, because at the end of the day I do enjoy it.

3) Recognize that at this office they have a development approval process that works outside and parallel to the legislative framework. It is basically a “custom” approval process they have developed through negation with the development industry. I had no knowledge or understanding of this process before I started. I have been given 2 that are complete clusterf@@@s in terms of process, politics and where they were in the process when I started (half complete). Both are politically charged becasue of who the players are.

4) I am now getting blamed for previous oversights and delays and an applicant has threatened my job security and my Commissioner has supported the threat.

5) My Commissioner has threatened all of my sections jobs due to some jokes and comments we made about how the morale and actions of an office coordinator is making us feel. He escalated it so high, that a HR person and Union Rep were there during his chastising of us. To show how petty he and one of the directors who caused this issue are, he chewed us out for suggesting people should make appointments to see us, and that watching the clock is not really productive. This is based on a single person’s complaint and the way in which she manages the office.(laminated signs on things, making you sign for new pens and pads of paper, having to send 5 emails if you have an off site appointment) Our Director had already asked us to change our attitudes about these items, and we were.

6) During a presentation to the Department, on an item I had somewhat self initiated at my manager's request, and the Commissioner likes it, he said “now I know why we hired you” in front of the entire department. While I assume it was supposed to be a joke, considering items 4 and 5, I don’t find it too funny and actually de*****tes the work I actually do.

So here is what I need some help with, how do I deal with this guy?

I work in a union environment and since he has already called the union in on me, is it advisable to inform the union of his transgressions towards me? ie job threat and the backhanded complement in front of the entire department

Do I complain and go dumb and act like a person with only 2 years experience and complain that some of the tasks are outside my experiences and knowledge base as well as my personal and professional work ethic?

If I do that, do I risk jeopardizing the tasks I am managing and working on and enjoy?

Do I risk alienating my manager and Director by registering these complaints? They are not bad people and are actually pretty good people to work with.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If it were me this is what I would do:

First, I'd be wanting to leave. That would be first in mind.

Second, I'd talk to the union about the situation and act very incensed. Detail everything. Get pressure on the employer from that end.

Third, milk that for a juicy severance and get the heck out.

More practically, get out anyways. It's not worth it. Plan to leave as soon as possible - there is no reason to be stuck in an environment like that. Fault is irrelevant at this point.

If you're planning to stay I would still notify the union. Make your position very clear. Make known the conditions of the file as you received it and make clear the unjustified attacks against you. The whole office sounds like its drowning in BS.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wonder if you may have a problem similar to my own - finding a workplace that shares my ethics and is open to ideas. When I find myself in a bureaucratic environment I get to feeling constrained and frustrated. I am not willing to roll over for anyone and the more convinced I am that something is wrong, the more I will get in their face. A year is the longest time I will give it, and I have walked off of two jobs at that point. After leaving my last job I realized that 1) the jobs I have loved have given me autonomy, flexibility, and an openness to new approaches; and 2) I am most comfortable in small town environments where the bureaucracy is minimal. That led me to start up my consulting business.

Maybe you need to step back and think about the characteristics of the work environment which are conducive to your own style. What is going to make you happy? What do you find frustrating or stifling? Figure out how to get a job that fits you, even if you have to create it yourself.

I could see you working as an independent consultant designing mountain bike trails and promoting bicycle tourism across the continent.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Overcoming work place burnout
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 13 Oct 2009, 3:38 PM
  2. Confidentiality in the work place.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 24 Mar 2006, 11:05 AM
  3. Overcoming work place burnout