Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Downtown Denver at Lunch Hour, 2 Dec. 2005. (broadband warning)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Downtown Denver at Lunch Hour, 2 Dec. 2005. (broadband warning)

Well, I was attending a Conference last Thursday and Friday in Downtown Denver. Thursday was a little hazy, smoggy and cold, but Friday (during the conference's lunch break) I hit the pavement. Wanting to take photos of the older buildings that are surrounded by the new stuff downtown. The 16th Street Mall was closeby, so I grabbed an 80 cent bagel and set to hiking among the tourists, shoppers, and lunch crowd. It was a good feel, as it has been years since I was able to walk around this part of Downtown during the day.
    There is no theme to this tour, but I know some of you like to look at photos. Please, if some Denverites out there have clarifications to any picture, or something to add, feel free to respond below. All other comments welcome too.
    And with that....

We begin with the ZMan going to his car to get his camera. This is the Qwest Building (well, one of them). I believe this was completed in 1984 and if you live in the inter-montane West, the Dakotas and Minn. or Oregon and Washington, you phone bills most likely go to this company. This is the second tallest in Denver I believe.

From close to the same spot, we see Republic Plaza. The tallest in Denver at a mere 56 stories.

From also the same spot, we see the famous "Cash Register" building. (I believe Wells Fargo Bank is the main tenant now). This is easily the most recognizable building in Denver's Skyline. With the old Trinity Episcopal Church in the foreground. NIce shot of old and new one would see in any downtown.

Nice reuse of an old building. this was a monthly parking garage across the street from my conference's building. Just thought it was neat.

Thought this was a neat building tucked on the intersection of 17th Street and Glenarm.

Denver's Famous Paramount theater, a nice lead in to the 16th Street mall, and lunch. Denver Pavilions (completed a couple years ago) is the background under the the large Denver sign.

One part of the Denver Pavilions. I think it is a fine looking building, for something downtown-ish and new.

The following 3 are some cool examples of reuse buildings. (Most are on 16th Street)

This is right next to Republic Plaza. Thought it was a good example of street-scale old/new mix.

With a similar old/new shot as well.

Denver has a decent transit system. I have really only utilized the Light Rail (good to take to a Broncos or a Avalanche/Nuggets game, both Mile High and Pepsi Center have stops. On my lunch walk, I found three different forms of transit.
    Your 16th Street mall Hybrid busses. These only run on the mall, and are free.

The Light Rail is electric. It is also a clean and quiet way to ride throught town. It has been expanded into the Southern part of the metro area with a line down I-25 soon (I heard )

And your conventional Diesel Bus, found all around the Metro area, and even outlying towns in the mountains/foothills west of town.

My conference was on the 37th floor, and the views afforded a great perspective of Denver and its outlying areas. The following is what I was looking at on Thursday and Friday:
    North

West (to Mile High Stadium, Invesco Field, home of the Denver Broncos)

Southwest (Republic Plaza)

Looking down on the Famous Brown Palace Hotel. High tea, anyone?

And to the East

I know I put a lot of pictures in here. I welcome any comments or questions (even corrections ) and I hope you all enjoyed them. I sure did like walking around and getting "reaquainted" with my home town.

Thanks, Friends.
    Last edited by zman; 05 Dec 2005 at 6:42 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Thank-You for the nostalgia trip.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Looking down on the Famous Brown Palace Hotel. High tea, anyone?
    Wow, I have a fear of heights unless I have skis on, and that picture freaks me out. I feel like I am going to fall into the computer screen.

I like the rest of them though.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

reminds me of the Century Building in St. Louis

Good pics Z...thanks for sharing

Registered
    May 1997
    High tea at the Brown Palace is definitely an experience worth having.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Isn't there a bar in the paramount, or next door? I remember stumbling out of there a couple of times over the years.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The USMint is a kewl older lowrise building, too. IMHO, the Feds have done a nice job of maintaining its old 'feel' on its Colfax Av frontage, even though it is very much a modern high-capacity industrial stamping plant.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    The USMint is a kewl older lowrise building, too. IMHO, the Feds have done a nice job of maintaining its old 'feel' on its Colfax Av frontage, even though it is very much a modern high-capacity industrial stamping plant.

Mike
    You know, Mike, I never thought to go down there. I was thinking of getting some up-close shots of the Capitol and City and County Bldgs., and the Mint is a couple blocks away from there. But I wonder if I would have been hasseled for taking pictures there.

Good idea though, I may have to think about that for round 2.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    You know, Mike, I never thought to go down there. I was thinking of getting some up-close shots of the Capitol and City and County Bldgs., and the Mint is a couple blocks away from there. But I wonder if I would have been hasseled for taking pictures there.

Good idea though, I may have to think about that for round 2.
    I would forsee no problems there, as the USTreasury has images of the place on their own website (http://www.usmint.gov). BTW, the 'walk up' public tours were reopened earlier this year, see the website for more details. It is a fun 'must see' for anyone visiting the Denver area.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Signed....

Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    High tea at the Brown Palace is definitely an experience worth having.
    I always thought of that as an upper crust British event......was that how it was? Isn't it like $20 a person without tip and taxes? Were those little cucumber cakes good? Did you talk world politics with the octogenarian crowd?

Nice shots Zman
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Very nice, Zman, makes me miss the place! I saw the mountains peaking out around the Republic Plaza building. Could you see Pikes Peak?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by geobandito
    Very nice, Zman, makes me miss the place! I saw the mountains peaking out around the Republic Plaza building. Could you see Pikes Peak?
    Yep, Day Two of the conference I got a seat next to the window. I could see the full length of Broadway heading south, with a nice image of Pike's Peak at the end (sort of). The cold air on Day One made for the smog and haze trapping inversion layer so the views weren't that good.

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yup....

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Yep, Day Two of the conference I got a seat next to the window. I could see the full length of Broadway heading south, with a nice image of Pike's Peak at the end (sort of). The cold air on Day One made for the smog and haze trapping inversion layer so the views weren't that good.
    I love looking at the curvature of the earth from Pikes Peak to beyond Longs Peak....100+ miles or so and you only really need 1-2 degrees of the surface to see a curve
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 May 2008, 10:19 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Nov 2005, 9:36 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 30 Aug 2005, 6:19 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Jun 2005, 4:26 PM
  5. Replies: 0