Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Madison, WI

Registered
    Oct 2003

Madison, WI

Ever since I first learned that Madison, WI, is situated on an isthmus between two lakes, I've always thought that I want to go there and see what the city on an isthmus is like. And, I am wondering if any of you have been there or travelled there?

I've visited the Tourism website of Madison, WI, but couldn't easily find pictures of the area. Would anyone have some to share?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I would also check http://www.ci.madison.wi.us

Essentially, away from the isthmus, Madison is a typical fast-growing area with a semi-suburban feel (most of the metro area is still inside the city limits) while the isthmus area is a much more dense mixture of single and multi-family residential and the state government/University of Wisconsin dominating it all. It is sort of like the latest Montreal photologue, but with about 25% of the major density. The lower density isthmus neighborhoods look a LOT like those lower-density Montreal neighborhoods.

I enjoy every visit that I make to the area and if you do go there, I can give directions and tips to some of the places that you might want to check out.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I lived there for a decade. It is a beautiful city and one with a life and charcater that is hard to find anywhere else. I have many photos but most of them are not scanned.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I lived there for the past two years. It's a great city- very walkable, lots of cultural and arts offerings, great farmer's market, excellent university and, of course, the lakes.

I took a lot of photos of the city and the UW campus when I lived out there. Send me a message if you want to see some of them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What school? UW-Madison or UVA
    Student Commons
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 20 Apr 2013, 6:44 PM
  2. Wisconsin-Madison
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Apr 2013, 9:00 PM
  3. What school? UW-Madison vs. UW-Milwaukee
    Student Commons