Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any Thoughts on Minn. State-Mankato

Registered
    Nov 2005

Any Thoughts on Minn. State-Mankato

Hey everyone:
    I have been reading the forums for quite a while now and I finally decided to join. I am going to be attending Minnesota State- Mankato starting in January. I will be getting my MAUP. I am quite excited, I got a great advisor, he is currently researching the effects of the light rail line in Minneapolis. I was wondering what anyone has heard of the school or any thoughts in general. Thanks!

Registered
    Nov 2002

Minnesota

Quote Originally posted by escapefromdixie
    Hey everyone:
    I have been reading the forums for quite a while now and I finally decided to join. I am going to be attending Minnesota State- Mankato starting in January. I will be getting my MAUP. I am quite excited, I got a great advisor, he is currently researching the effects of the light rail line in Minneapolis. I was wondering what anyone has heard of the school or any thoughts in general. Thanks!
    I went to the U. of MN and enjoyed the Twin Cities immensely. In terms of Mankato State, I know they have one professor- I think his name is David Rafter and I assume he is your advisor- who does a lot of work on transportation and land use. I don't know much about the rest of the program. I'd try to get down to the Cities while you are in the area, though- there is a lot going on with respect to planning.

Also bring your skis (or buy some)- cross country, that is. And a warm coat and hat so you have the Minnesota Chic look down pat. We used to say that the goofiest, fluffiest hat that would be laughed at anywhere else was the height of fashion in MN. People walk up to you and say "Wow, what a warm hat!" jealously.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Greetings from a fellow SC-ian. Although I imagine for not much longer.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome from a native South Carolinian.

So you're leaving Rock Thrill for Minnesota... Be prepared to have your accent made fun of by people who actually sound a lot funnier than you ever will.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich
    I went to the U. of MN and enjoyed the Twin Cities immensely. In terms of Mankato State, I know they have one professor- I think his name is David Rafter and I assume he is your advisor- who does a lot of work on transportation and land use. I don't know much about the rest of the program. I'd try to get down to the Cities while you are in the area, though- there is a lot going on with respect to planning.

Also bring your skis (or buy some)- cross country, that is. And a warm coat and hat so you have the Minnesota Chic look down pat. We used to say that the goofiest, fluffiest hat that would be laughed at anywhere else was the height of fashion in MN. People walk up to you and say "Wow, what a warm hat!" jealously.
    Thanks for the tips. Actually the main reason I am attending MNSU is because of the proximity to the Twin Cities. From my research MNSU has a more practical based program. And yes you were correct, Dr. Rafter is my advisor. My parents are planning to get me a gift card to L.L. Bean for Christmas, I am sure it will get a good work out.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Welcome from a native South Carolinian.

So you're leaving Rock Thrill for Minnesota... Be prepared to have your accent made fun of by people who actually sound a lot funnier than you ever will.
    Where from in S.C.? I lived in Pickens from 1991-2002 and I am in the "Thrill" at Winthrop until graduation until December. The accent I quite funny, I remember realizing this over the summer when the girl at our hotel in Mankato was speaking to us.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm sure you'll have a laugh everytime someone tells you that you have a funny accent, ya' know?

I'm from Rock Hill myself - 15 years seperated.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by escapefromdixie
    Where from in S.C.? I lived in Pickens from 1991-2002 and I am in the "Thrill" at Winthrop until graduation until December. The accent I quite funny, I remember realizing this over the summer when the girl at our hotel in Mankato was speaking to us.
    Born and bred in the county across the lake from Pickens County. In fact, we always had problems with those Pickens boys causing problems at Fall Creek.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Ironically, Fall Creek was the big place for us to skip school at in the late spring, at least until they closed the area down. Small world!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Hey Y'all

So there are some South Carolinians here! I live in Greenville (although not a native) at the moment and finishing my undergrad degree at Lander.

Got my exit strategy in place....why is it that we seem to be moving north and west?

Cheers!
    Kim

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 11 Aug 2010, 8:21 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Jun 2010, 4:11 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Jun 2010, 3:43 PM