Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: List of classes

Registered
    Nov 2005

List of classes

Hey yall i went through the forum and read most ofl the posts about 'classes you wish you could have taken in undergrad.' i tried to take note of the most common answers and wrote them down in a list. i was just wondering if you guys could go through the list and just give comments, tips, etc.
    EDES 3230. Design Communication III. 2 hours. 4 hours lab per week. Skill development in GIS, electronic communication, process and presentation graphics.

LAND 1500. Design and the Environment. 3 hours.Topics include land use patterns and policies, development and resource management, community design issues, and strategies for improving environmental integrity and quality of life.

GEOG 1103. Cultural Geography of the United States. 3 hours.Spatial development and organization of culture; population growth, migration, and urbanization; and the spatial dimensions of political, economic, and social processes. (I don't really know about this one...kind of picked it out myself...)

PADP 4620. Public Administration and Democracy. 3 hours.Major issues of administration and public agencies, such as personnel, finance, administrative law, and the growth and significance of governmental bureaucracy.

CRSS 4520/6520-4520L/6520L. Field Soil and Site Assessment. 3 hours. 2 hours lecture and 2 hours lab per week.How to assess a site to determine if the soil places any limitations on land use. Topics covered include soil sampling, soil landscapes, wetland and hydric soils, septic systems, and land application of waste.

GEOL 4370/6370. Data Analysis in the Geosciences. 3 hours.The principles of data analysis, including data collection methods, graphical presentation, and basic statistics.

LAND 2210. Design Communication I. 3 hours. 6 hours lab per week.Manual and computerized drafting skills/design drawing with an emphasis on the development of basic visual and computer literacy.

-see the problem is UGA doesn't have an undergrad program focused on anything relatively close to urban planning. so i took a major in the next best thing, Housing, which i will finish before completing the required number of hours for graduation. well if yall have any ideas or tips, advice just let me know.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Kau
    Hey yall i went through the forum and read most ofl the posts about 'classes you wish you could have taken in undergrad.' i tried to take note of the most common answers and wrote them down in a list. i was just wondering if you guys could go through the list and just give comments, tips, etc.
    EDES 3230. Design Communication III. 2 hours. 4 hours lab per week. Skill development in GIS, electronic communication, process and presentation graphics.
    Hell. Abandon all hope ye who enter here. Virgil will not be your guide here - some bit part idiot instructor will be. He'll know basic GIS and wordprocessing and will not hesitate to lord that over you. If you're lucky and kiss enough ass he might break out the word art. Consider carving a shiv out of an office table leg - it will undoubtedly prove useful.

LAND 1500. Design and the Environment. 3 hours.Topics include land use patterns and policies, development and resource management, community design issues, and strategies for improving environmental integrity and quality of life.
    This is a trap. Reasonably interesting description, but it has a lot of red flags. Like "policies" and "management" and "strategies" and "environmental integrity." The whole thing, really. Classes like these are where your classmates really let the inner moron loose. Foot in mouth does not even begin to describe some of the notions that will be expressed here.

GEOG 1103. Cultural Geography of the United States. 3 hours.Spatial development and organization of culture; population growth, migration, and urbanization; and the spatial dimensions of political, economic, and social processes. (I don't really know about this one...kind of picked it out myself...)
    Meh. It's detail on a topic that is common knowledge. Take it or leave it. Do be sure to bring a fresh BS filter though as I suspect some of the "theories" and "causes" presented might be suspect.

PADP 4620. Public Administration and Democracy. 3 hours.Major issues of administration and public agencies, such as personnel, finance, administrative law, and the growth and significance of governmental bureaucracy.
    This teaches you how to be sad. For life. Given that sadness is for poor people, its fortunate that you'll be learning about public service.

CRSS 4520/6520-4520L/6520L. Field Soil and Site Assessment. 3 hours. 2 hours lecture and 2 hours lab per week.How to assess a site to determine if the soil places any limitations on land use. Topics covered include soil sampling, soil landscapes, wetland and hydric soils, septic systems, and land application of waste.
    If actually instructed properly and in a decidedly non-hokey manner, you've got one practical class on your hands, buster. Would be nice if it were integrated with a basic building code introduction. Otherwise its a bit... well, neutered.

GEOL 4370/6370. Data Analysis in the Geosciences. 3 hours.The principles of data analysis, including data collection methods, graphical presentation, and basic statistics.
    It's like a statistics class without any bothersome learning.

LAND 2210. Design Communication I. 3 hours. 6 hours lab per week.Manual and computerized drafting skills/design drawing with an emphasis on the development of basic visual and computer literacy.
    If you're allowed to be creative and design FOR a given goal or site, then this will be what keeps you alive. Otherwise you'll be conducting drafting exercises and learning to be a CAD monkey.

-see the problem is UGA doesn't have an undergrad program focused on anything relatively close to urban planning. so i took a major in the next best thing, Housing, which i will finish before completing the required number of hours for graduation. well if yall have any ideas or tips, advice just let me know.
    My only advice is to not take any guff from these swine. Never forget you're the one footing the bill. Also, don't hesitate to switch programs and/or universities.

I do hope it turns out better than my jaded self would expect. cheers.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Kau,

I am a graduate of UGA (both undergrad and grad school). It has been a few years so my firsthand class experience is probably not up to date.

If you want to go into urban planning and stay at UGA, I would suggest classes in the Landscape Architecture School and UGA's Public Administration program. I have an MPA and wish I had taken more classes directly in urban planning and landscape architecture. The classes I did have were good, but there are not too many of them at UGA.

I believe my MPA has served me very well in related non-planning facets - particularly day to day aspects about running a Planning Dept (personnel, finance, budgeting, etc). I had a basic planning foundation upon leaving Grad School. But I have had a lot of on the job training and continuing education via reading, conferences, etc. I was able to get my AICP. So it must have been an ok way to go.

I don't know many people in the School of Urban Design (I think that is what they call it these days). Pratt Cassidy is one name that comes to mind.

Personally, I would not focus on something as specific as housing unless I really knew that is what I wanted. I would try to be a generalist and learn a little about everything.

Good luck.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Abrowne,
    I don't know what to say. Thanks?

Mallen,
    How 'bout them dawgs eh? SEC champions 2005! Goooo dawgs, sic em!
    Joking aside, you said you received an MPA? Was that more for the management side of Urban Planning? Also, were you planning on going into Urban Planning as an undergrad? Anyways thanks for your time and advice.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally I thought that I wanted to be a City Manager. Planning was my first job out of grad school. I have now stayed in planning in various jobs for the last 12 years. I may become a City Manager eventually, but I still find my current planning position interesting. I also do not like some of the aspects of city managment.

At risk of starting a flame war with the "trained" planners, I believe my UGA MPA has served ME very well. I can stay in planning or move into another related field. You certainly can do that with a planning education too. As mentioned, earlier I would have liked a firmer planning foundation. But with a little effort I have learned quite a bit over the last 12 years.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 5:42 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 08 Aug 2011, 7:29 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 08 Nov 2010, 2:15 PM
  4. Classes in America
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Feb 2006, 10:59 PM