Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anybody use maquettes for visual aides or idealistic plans

Anybody use maquettes for visual aides or idealistic plans

ma·quette: A usually small model of an intended work, such as a sculpture or piece of architecture.

My friend and I recently made a maquette inspired by the work of J.H. Crawford. (sorry I can't post the website yet. Somehow my account and username aren't working)
    The maquette has helped in our endeavors to visualize better solutions to many areas of our city. All of this is theoretical work for us but after a while we wanted to draw and write up ideas that the city we live in doesn't consider. The usual practice for us is to read and criticize.

I wanted to share this wonderful tool with fellow Citizen Planners.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I often find value in using scale models in downtown revitalization/redevelopment planning. Personally, I think they are far more useful and understandable than the high tech visualization ("fly-thru") hyped by some firms. Models are tangible, and help people to recognize the relationships between spaces, such as bulk, scale, voids, etc. I will often develop a model with a "hole" for the redevelopment site, into which I can drop any of a number of options that demonstrate how this site could look if it were used as a park, redeveloped with a building, used for parking, etc. Interactive models like this get people interested in a project.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Reposting with link

ma·quette: A usually small model of an intended work, such as a sculpture or piece of architecture.

My friend and I recently made a maquette inspired by the work of J.H. Crawfords site http://www.carfree.com/cft/i040.html#maquette.
    The maquette has helped in our endeavors to visualize better solutions to many areas of our city. All of this is theoretical work for us but after a while we wanted to draw and write up ideas that the city we live in doesn't consider. The usual practice for us is to read and criticize.

I wanted to share this wonderful tool with fellow Citizen Planners.

http://www.maquettes-historiques.net/P5.html

Check this site for stunning maquettes of Rome, also Versailles.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Definitions Definition of visual impact
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2009, 10:47 PM
  2. Visual resource management
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Jun 2009, 7:03 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 08 Jul 2004, 4:55 PM