Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 Noontime (Crunch Time Quality) Question from Michaelskis

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 Noontime (Crunch Time Quality) Question from Michaelskis

We all have deadlines that we need to accomplish tasks by. Often, it will come down to the final few days or even hours before you have to turn in a report, assignment, plan, or project. Sometimes it looks like it was tossed together in the final few moments, while other times it appears as if it took us months to finish, regardless on how much time we really spend on it.

When it comes down to the end, how well do you deal with it? Do you work on perfecting details, or just get it done and move on to the next project?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am a total procrastinator and every single one of my tasks/projects are done at the last minute in a crunch. I try to make sure they are completed and think it appears that way to those that see my presentations.
    I do know that I have made mistakes ( most of the time caught before it is noticeable) and yes, that is because of being rushed. Its something I am working. I do try to perfect the project, no matter how little time there is. I would never complete a project, not look it over and move on.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm in the middle of one right now. I have 3 final exams before this project is even due on the 14th. We're redesigning a 40 by 47 metre site in Toronto (currently a parking lot). Aie.

We'll have to see... normally I thrive under pressure but this time I might just have found a hole too deep.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    if it is a task i don't like then i tend to be a procrastinator. if it is something i enjoy doing then i often do the majority of it right away and then take my time "perfecting" it. although sometimes the perfecting gets the best of me and i end up thinking, "i should've just left it alone."

the end of the semester is rapidly approaching. i have a project and a paper due on friday, and 3 finals due next friday. and next saturday i'm leaving town for a month. included in the month away is christmas with the family and a european vacation.

besides all my school work, i have a ton of things i still need to do to get ready for my time away.

i figure something has to give, i just haven't figured out what it is yet.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm generally a perfectionist, and working on something "last minute" stresses me out. I'd rather have some extra time to get all the details right.

My boss is just the opposite - but I often have to proofread his work, so I'm stuck!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I am notorius for sending out projects with a mispelled word or number transposed. My favorite is when I copy something over from a different file and not get it changed to match the new project.

I feel like my work always looks professional and of high quality. Its the stupid mistakes that fall through the cracks on the rush jobs.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    It's horrible for me because I'm both a procrastinator and a perfectionist. Thus, when in a crunch, it usually turns out OK...but it is the most stressful thing in the world trying to do your absolute best in 3 hours. I just wrote a research paper on Wal-Mart yesterday in 3 or 4 hours or so.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    For me, it all depends on the specific task. Right now there is a project that I am working on for a class, and I am working on every last little detail, even trying to figure out the specific color patterns to use for 30 some maps in the presentation, and adapting a photo of the target city to use as the background for the PowerPoint. For this project, I am not just going for an A, I am going for better than professional consultant quality work.

Other things that are boring or tedious, (such as code enforcement reports that are property specific for silly things such as parking on the grass) I loose much of my desire to achieve anything beyond the required.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I hate doing things at the last minute.
    The quality is just not as good as it would be if given the right amount of time.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    [snip] even trying to figure out the specific color patterns to use for 30 some maps in the presentation, and adapting a photo of the target city to use as the background for the PowerPoint. For this project, I am not just going for an “A”, I am going for better than professional consultant quality work.
    Off Topic from a consultant, powerpoint user and viewer
    Be very careful what you do with PowerPoint. You may already know this but I'm gonna say it anyways. Don't use flashy animation (things flying in and out), sound effects and overly complex graphics and maps. To convey your message use clear and concise points in one or two sentences and try to do it in under 25-30 slides. The background should be dark in color and not to busy, with white or lighter color lettering.

With powerpoint often times less is more. You will want to present the key concepts on the screen and then elaborate on the concepts in your presentation.

On another sidenote Mrs PBD recently saw a power point presentation by a WMU classmate of yours. This individual showed her presentation to Mrs. PBD and here Coworkers. The presentation was on lead paint and poverty. It was way to complex, used annoying animation and all 20 or so in the audiance thought it was aweful for more reasons that just stated.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    testing 123

lol

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 29 Nov 2005, 4:56 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 Nov 2005, 11:34 AM
  3. Replies: 51