Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New townhouses in Oak Park, IL (no 56K)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Here are some more shots of the townhouses, plus some shots from the surrounding area:

The above three photos are some 2-flats across the street

The next three are a townhouse development about half a block north.

The next ones are on the otherside of the block from the new townhouses:

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Once again, if you compare the older houses and double-flats, the comparison in street frontage, grace and quality of detailing is just miles apart.

The richer ya'll get, the crappier the houes you live in...go figure....
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Interesting to note (in Mendelman's 4th photo) the SUV overhanging into the right-of-way (alley). Were the residents only granted one parking space (the garage) but residents have more than one car so they park as close to the garage without projecting into the ROW?

The townhouse units on the corner are awfully plain on the facades (very flat, no articulation) in comparison to the other units on the street. And I can't see the other homes in the neighborhood being torn down for redevelopment. They're in good condition, the value of the housing is too high, demolition costs, and rebuilding.

The other thing that comes to mind now is the privacy of the owner of the single-family home. Whether they're inside or in the backyard. And hopefully the new units aren't blocking the signal from his satellite dish (if he's got one).
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Luca
    Once again, if you compare the older houses and double-flats, the comparison in street frontage, grace and quality of detailing is just miles apart.

The richer ya'll get, the crappier the houes you live in...go figure....
    This seems to be all too sadly true. People tend to lack good taste - just watch any of the home improvement / home decorating shows on several TV channels. The place usually starts out pretty badly and the professional decorators seldom really help very much. Our new homes tend to be built simply bigger, not better or nicer. Give me a solidly built older home with character any day.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    My reaction to this pic was It looks like the forgotten 'backside', not the front of a residential block!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    My reaction to this pic was It looks like the forgotten 'backside', not the front of a residential block!
    I have to totally agree. The windows are too small and the facade it too flat. I would NEVER live in a place that looked like that.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 37
    Last post: 01 Apr 2012, 7:26 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 6:11 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 May 2007, 10:40 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last post: 23 Apr 2007, 6:15 PM
  5. Replies: 3