Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A Charlie Brown Christmas

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Tonight is the 40th Anniversary of the Charlie Brown Christmas Special - showing on ABC at 8:00 pm. It was always a tradition in our family growing up to sit down and watch it together. It was fairly controversial when it was first aired - especially Linus telling the story of Christmas from the Book of Luke - but is now widely accepted over the generations as a classic.

Others in the same period that have tended to cross generation lines were Frosty the Snowman (with Burl Ives), Rudolph (and the Land of Misfit Toys), Little Drummer Boy, and the Grinch.

WeeP is almost 3 this year for Christmas and she is really getting into it -"helping" to decorate the tree was a blast and frustrating at the same time. Tonight however we plan to sit down and watch Charlie Brown tonight together.

Did the Cyburbians out there watch these shows? Do they harbor memories - good or bad?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    Tonight is the 40th Anniversary of the Charlie Brown Christmas Special - showing on ABC at 8:00 pm. It was always a tradition in our family growing up to sit down and watch it together. It was fairly controversial when it was first aired - especially Linus telling the story of Christmas from the Book of Luke - but is now widely accepted over the generations as a classic.

Others in the same period that have tended to cross generation lines were Frosty the Snowman (with Burl Ives), Rudolph (and the Land of Misfit Toys), Little Drummer Boy, and the Grinch.

WeeP is almost 3 this year for Christmas and she is really getting into it -"helping" to decorate the tree was a blast and frustrating at the same time. Tonight however we plan to sit down and watch Charlie Brown tonight together.

Did the Cyburbians out there watch these shows? Do they harbor memories - good or bad?
    I always watched Charlie Brown, Garfield, the Original Grinch, and the Burl Ives Rudolph every year (even now!)

X-Mas was a big part of my house growing up.

We also watched a lot of the original Christmas movies too, like the original Miracle on 34th St. (w/ Natalie Wood), and White Christmas with Bing Crosby.

By gar, I may to dig up some of those copies.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

I absolutely love this Christmas special. As I have gotten older and have developed my faith life a little better its lessons are all that much more important. I still get choked up in spots and I think I've seen the show going on at least 30 out of the 40 years it's been around.

I grew up watching it on TV, and even now that I have it on tape I still look forward to scanning the listings in order to watch it. I also liked the wacky Peppermint Patty commercials that were part of it in the 70s and 80s

I wonder, though, how much longer it will be before some whackjob gets it into their head to file a complaint about its airing. Hey, if some nut can win a settlement based on spilling hot coffee on herself then anything's possible. I think the only thing that saves it is that it's a vintage cartoon and it's Charlie Brown. He's about as American as Mom and apple pie.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    We also watched a lot of the original Christmas movies too, like the original Miracle on 34th St. (w/ Natalie Wood), and White Christmas with Bing Crosby.

White Christmas is one of my favorites as well.

I never got into the Charlie Brown movies. But Rudolph was a huge deal in our family. We'd all sit down and watch it. I can remember being little and being scared of the abominable snowman.

I also was a huge fan of the original Grinch and max.

i remember waiting all year to see Rudolph and the Grinch, that way you knew that Christmas was getting really close.

i've been a bit sad about the movies in the past years because they play them so often during the holiday season that they aren't quite as special as they seemed when i was younger.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The late Vince Guaraldi's music is great in all the Charlie Brown Specials.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    But Rudolph was a huge deal in our family. We'd all sit down and watch it. I can remember being little and being scared of the abominable snowman.
    Same here. I DVRed it for Jack (he's two tomorrow) and he was enthralled, and has since asked for "Deer!" every morning when he wakes up.

The christmas shows they have now are not at all of the same caliber - NBC had The Happy Elf on the other day, and I had to shut if off for Jack - the children in it were so obnoxious. sigh.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My favourite is the Year Without a Santa Claus, with Heat Miser and Snow Miser. Christmas was going to be cancelled because there was no snow, so Santa (et al) needed to convince the two Misers to change the weather. I think it's especially funny that I liked this classic the most, considering there was never snow on the ground in LA, yet we always had Christmas.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    For me, it used to be that the holiday season wouldn't be right with Charlie Brown, Rudolph or Frosty. Now, I don't watch these shows as faithfully as I used to....can't honestly say when was the last time I saw either of them. However, I watch "A Christmas Story" just about every time it comes on (can we say 24 hour marathon on TNT??) and never get sick of it.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Been a long time since I've seen A Charlie Brown Christmas, but I am planning to watch it tonight with my four year old. This weekend we saw Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.

Still waiting to see Santa come down the mountain on the electric shaver. Norelco's commercial marked the beginning of the Christmas season for me when I was a kid.

And, even though I've seen it dozens of times, I will probably watch "It's a Wonderful Life." I love Jimmy Stewart and Frank Capra. "Zuzu's petals!"
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2002
    Those are all great. My sister and I always knew when the "specials" as we called them were going to be on. It was an event. I think some of that is lost now with VHS/DVD. It used to be that you could only see the Grinch once a year. If you missed it you had to wait until next year. That's what made it special and unique. Now you can watch it in July if you want. Just another part of our "on demand" society I guess.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    My favourite is the Year Without a Santa Claus, with Heat Miser and Snow Miser.
    PlannerGroupie loves that one as well.

For me it was always Frosty with Burl Ives and the Muppets: A Christmas Carol. I only recently became acquainted with A Christmas Story, and it's growing on me.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    PlannerGroupie loves that one as well.

For me it was always Frosty with Burl Ives and the Muppets: A Christmas Carol. I only recently became acquainted with A Christmas Story, and it's growing on me.
    A Christmas Story was the holiday movie for our house. I even own a smaller, functioning replica of the Major Award (it's about desk lamp size).

The Grinch (original) was another classic one for us as well as Charlie Brown.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Hey Family Guy fans, is there really a show called, KISS Saves Santa?

If there isn't, there should be.

Gene Simmons: "Someone kidnapped Santa? That does NOT ROCK!"

HA! I made myself laugh...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I plan on watching Charlie Brown's Christmas tonight. A matter fact i have a Charlie Brown version of the nativity scene set up in the main hallway.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Hey Family Guy fans, is there really a show called, KISS Saves Santa?

If there isn't, there should be.

Gene Simmons: "Someone kidnapped Santa? That does NOT ROCK!"

HA! I made myself laugh...
    Check out "A Very Special Family Guy Freakin' Christmas"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very_Special_Family_Guy_Freakin'_Christmas

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I haven't watched the Charlie Brown Christmas show before and plan on watching it tonight.

I also haven't seen the Charlie Brown Hallowe'en show until just this past Hallowe'en.

In the past, I've have only seen the Rudolph the Red Nose show on tv and not any other shows as I didn't catch the others on.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Wa-Wa-Wa-Wa-Wa-Wa

That's the sound in Charlie Brown shows of the adults talking. This is what my daughters say to me when they are tired of me talking. I love this show and plan to watch.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I grew up with the Muppets Christmas Carol instead.

I'll be over here with the Generation Ys.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

The Christmas classic that almost wasn't

Headline of the Cover Story in USA TODAY print
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...hristmas_x.htm

Highlights:
    What makes A Charlie Brown Christmas the "gold standard" in Thompson's view is that it somehow manages to convey an old-fashioned, overtly religious holiday theme that's coupled with Schulz's trademark sardonic, even hip, sense of humor.

Much about A Charlie Brown Christmas was revolutionary for network TV, even beyond its religious themes.

Perhaps the most enduring aspect of the show has been its score — a piano-driven jazz suite that was absolutely unheard-of for children's programming in 1965.

Guaraldi, the composer and pianist, was best known for a 1962 hit called Cast Your Fate To the Wind. Mendelson liked it so much that he hired Guaraldi to score a documentary about Schulz that never aired. When the Christmas program was sold, parts of that music were incorporated.

The driving tune that the Peanuts children keep dancing to in the special, called Linus and Lucy, has become a pop staple that's been recorded countless time in the intervening decades.

Says Winston: "Vince made a stamp on our popular culture that will never go away. For an artist, that's the ultimate tribute."
    Last edited by JNA; 06 Dec 2005 at 9:33 PM.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Oooh, I was just telling RJ tonite that I was setting up my North Pole Village and playing X-mas carols, including my favorite, "Snoopy's Christmas" (really, really loud). I think I scared him.

I have all those old ones on tape: Grinch, Little Drummer Boy, Rudolph, Frosty, Charlie Brown, etc.

I remember before tapes and if you missed the show, you had to wait a whole 'nother year to see them. I was working on a play in high school and kept running back to the prop room to catch snatches of "Rudolph" on t.v. I was so ticked that I missed most of it.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    A Christmas Story was the holiday movie for our house. I even own a smaller, functioning replica of the Major Award (it's about desk lamp size).
    I've got a full-sized Major Award in my window. It oozes the soft glow of electric sex.

The Christmas Story marathon on TBS (or is it TNT?) is a tradition for me, too.

Along with the Major Award, you can now buy a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I want.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Embarrassingly, my mom still calls me to remind me that Charlie Brown is on. I guess I loved it when I was a boy. I got out of a long public hearing last night, turned on my cellphone and there was a message from her about it. I still think it's a cute show.

Anybody remember the movie J.T. -- a 1969 tv movie?

From IMdB:

Plot Outline: J. T. Gamble, a shy, withdrawn Harlem youngster, shows compassion and responsibility when he takes on the care of an old, one-eyed, badly injured alley cat days before Christmas and secretly nurses it back to health.
    I recall it stereotyping and simplistic but well acted. Seems it's never on tv anymore. I'd like to see it again.

Paraphrasing -- "You're gonna turn into transistor head, you don' take that radio off yo ears"
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Anybody remember the movie J.T. -- a 1969 tv movie?

From IMdB:

I recall it stereotyping and simplistic but well acted. Seems it's never on tv anymore. I'd like to see it again.

Paraphrasing -- "You're gonna turn into transistor head, you don' take that radio off yo ears"
    I do, I do! But I don't remember ever seeing it after the initial showing.

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I do, I do! But I don't remember ever seeing it after the initial showing.
    It seemed to run a few consecutive years in the early '70s (on CBS?), but then has disappeared.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Charlie Sheen Quotes out of Context
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Mar 2011, 3:29 PM
  2. Charlie Chan - Yes or No?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 24 Aug 2006, 4:27 PM
  3. Anyone hit by Charlie?