Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Paint Colors for Basement Bar

Registered
    Dec 2005

Paint Colors for Basement Bar

Hello. I am trying to employ everyones help on what I could use for paint colors in my basement bar. I will have a sports bar theme with many different colors going on the walls. The items going on the walls vary from mini helmets of different football teams to bats, balls and framed jersey as well as pictures and sports publications. People have suggested a semi neutral but that just seems kind of boring but at the same time, I know I can't get to out there. PLEASE HELP as I have exhausted all other options for help.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The bar should be multi-colored if you know what I mean.

Registered
    May 2003
    Go with black.

And hire a bouncer.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    You may be figuratively 'painted into a corner' on this. There may be no other plausible aesthetic option than committing to a neutral. The difficulty of committing to a primary color is that the shrine would then create a specific association with whatever sports team has those (primary) colors. I can't conceive a non-ugly color scheme that hasn't been adopted by some popular sports franchise.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you paint your basement whatever color you like. If your football buddies don't like it, they can watch the game at Cicuit City.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Cheap, thin wood paneling.
    A Hamm's beer sign. (with or without the bear)
    A life sized cutout of John Elway, whopping some Chief ass. (sorry, I saw your location, and just HAD to say something)

I really don't think the color would matter, as long as you had beer and sports, you and your buddies will make good use of the place.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Black. Whatever you choose, though, go for matte. The last thing you want is shiny walls. Should absorb light rather than reflect it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kc-kufan
    <snip> The items going on the walls vary from mini helmets of different football teams to bats, balls and framed jersey as well as pictures and sports publications.<snip>
    I suggest you paint the walls Hunter Green and open an Applebee's in your basement.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Interesting first post.........

Try football turf green.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kc-kufan
    Hello. I am trying to employ everyones help on what I could use for paint colors in my basement bar. I will have a sports bar theme with many different colors going on the walls. The items going on the walls vary from mini helmets of different football teams to bats, balls and framed jersey as well as pictures and sports publications. People have suggested a semi neutral but that just seems kind of boring but at the same time, I know I can't get to out there. PLEASE HELP as I have exhausted all other options for help.
    By the way. I assume you are the wife of the guy who is building the bar, right? Any guy who agonizes over the color scheme in a basement bar where he wishes to hang mini football helmets has got a lot of issues.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    As a former Jayhawk, I say do half the room in blue and the other half in red.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jun 2003
    And don't even think about Nebraska Red or Texas Orange.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Hey, kc-kufan, welcome. Topeka is my birthplace and I go through at least twice a month. Greetings from 1 hr. and 15 minutes west of you.

Bar colors.... deep red or maroon with cold accessories. Find some deep red shag carpet for the floor and walls. Throw bean bags around and have a strobe light, lava lamps, fish tank and 70's vintage pabst sign.

Enjoy !!!!!!

HANG ON, this is Kansas.... are bars allowed?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    What about Mizzou Gold?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Purple and White. Sort of an OWNED theme.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our basement bar is Hunter green (a la applebees?... yikes!), terra cotta and we are thinking of a yellowish color. The bar itself is stained a chocolate color. Since we aren't quite done yet, I don't know how it will all come together. But forest/hunter green and terra cotta look shockingly like a baseball field when put together... so that seems right for a sports bar!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Thats kind of funny, I was just going to suggest Husker Red. Its a great color, represents WINNING!!!

We just moved into new offices and my office is very bare right now, but will be very Huskeresq. Along with some green and black for my ND Fighting Sioux!! I suppose thats an option too, green and black.

Registered
    May 2005
    I would go with green or a light brown. I like the wood idea, and just say no on Husker-red it does little for you in the real world and/or the NFL.
    "A man is what he does in his dreams." ~Camilla Sacci

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    ....Bar colors.... deep red or maroon with cold accessories. Find some deep red shag carpet for the floor and walls. Throw bean bags around and have a strobe light, lava lamps, fish tank and 70's vintage pabst sign....
    This sounds like a house of ill repute. Not that I would know what they would look like for sure.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We don't have basements in Florida. So the whole idea of hanging around underground sounds depressing. So I would go with bright colors, white, lime green, etc. Sports colors: ewwwww.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Welcome from another Kansan. Paint it a happy color, winters here are already to depressing.

Glad to hear from you!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    Welcome from another Kansan. Paint it a happy color, winters here are already to depressing.

Glad to hear from you!
    It's a lovely sentiment, Queen B, but your signature blew my eyeballs out. Ouch!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    ......... Paint it a happy color, winters here are already to depressing..........
    You mean like my first post.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    The British Museum (or the Metropolitian, or the Tate Modern, or ... I forget) recently repainted completely in a warm khaki; which apparantly they found the best backdrop for displaying pictures of many varied colours.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Getting salt out of basement floor
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Nov 2012, 9:51 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 25 Aug 2011, 11:24 PM
  3. Replies: 72
    Last post: 27 Aug 2009, 2:43 PM
  4. To paint or not to paint?
    Friday Afternoon Club