Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Problems in cities are only a result of poor urban planning?

     
    Registered
    Dec 2005

Problems in cities are only a result of poor urban planning?

Hi i need help about this topic. I have to write an arguementative essay about this.
    I need some ideas about relationship between problems and poor urban planning.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Ill-conceived urban planning may have played some role but its definitely not the only culprit. When global economic changes make auto-manufacturing centers like Flint, Michigan obsolete, its not just the fault of the city planners. There are lots of other state and federal policies in the US that helped suburbs grow at the expense of urban areas.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Ideas:
    The high rates of asthma among children who live near busy highways in cities, as caused by particulate pollutants in the air.

Neighborhoods built on unstable fill (e.g. coal ash) that was placed years ago before the problems with it were understood. Eventually ground subsides, buildings crumble and become unsafe.

The obvious poor planning example is, of course, large populations in districts with little to no natural or man-made protection from the sea when there are tsunamis or hurricane storm surges.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    Ideas:
    The high rates of asthma among children who live near busy highways in cities, as caused by particulate pollutants in the air.

Neighborhoods built on unstable fill (e.g. coal ash) that was placed years ago before the problems with it were understood. Eventually ground subsides, buildings crumble and become unsafe.

The obvious poor planning example is, of course, large populations in districts with little to no natural or man-made protection from the sea when there are tsunamis or hurricane storm surges.
    Not sure if it is urban planners fault, but tearing up the rails from the trolley systems was a huge error in many East coast cities. Now the subways, buses, and cages can't handle the amount of density and most of these subways systems won't make through the next 50 years.

     
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Thank you very much for these advices.What about other problems?
    At least i must have 3 problems. Health, Traffic,... Can third be 'Security' ?
    I want my essay to be best as you understand. I want to have masters degree in USA after this school.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    For security you can touch on Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design CPTED. Google that term and you will finds lots of info.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jengys
    Thank you very much for these advices.What about other problems?
    At least i must have 3 problems. Health, Traffic,... Can third be 'Security' ?
    I want my essay to be best as you understand. I want to have masters degree in USA after this school.
    It seems to me that you're attacking a topic that is simply massive. Many large books have been written about the causes of urban problems. Also the conditions vary vastly by country. Are you talking about urban decay in the United States, or, say, Cyprus? Because you can't address urban decay in the United States without addressing race politics. In Cyprus, I imagine the conflicts between Greece and Turkey have done much to shape the urban form.

Perhaps you should consider drastically narrowing the focus of your essay. One thing that comes to mind in light of the French riots involve the role of planning and architecture in the failure of the housing projects. There is a lot of information avaliable on that and it is a "hot" topic (due to France) in urban planning right now.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    It might be interesting to compare the "problems" of today with the "problems" of yesterday. Compare two cities of equal population in two different times, one before urban planning and one with modern urban planning. Assuming you could eliminate all other factors, see if you can conclude that on net today's urban problems are better than yesterday's. You could potentially find that today's problems ARE a result of nothing but poor urban planning, but that on net, the urban environment is better off, that today's problems aren't as bad as the ones cities faced without planning.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yes....

Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    It might be interesting to compare the "problems" of today with the "problems" of yesterday. Compare two cities of equal population in two different times, one before urban planning and one with modern urban planning. Assuming you could eliminate all other factors, see if you can conclude that on net today's urban problems are better than yesterday's. You could potentially find that today's problems ARE a result of nothing but poor urban planning, but that on net, the urban environment is better off, that today's problems aren't as bad as the ones cities faced without planning.

Perhaps compare a city in Texas to a City ANYWHERE else
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Village Idiots

Quote Originally posted by The One
    Perhaps compare a city in Texas to a City ANYWHERE else
    Tis true....however how to account for the missing 'village idiot'?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'd say that the lack of urban planning or poor urban planning does create many problems in cities, but not all of them. For an example we have Santiago that grew at an incredible rate around the late 70s and 80s. This was due to the lack of urban planning and this led to many transit problems that are just begining to be solved nowadays. Another problem is economic segregation that was let lose and became increased and not even now there is any kind of urban politic to fight it. Suburbanization still is in process and the fertile agricultural lands are being destroyed with suburbanization. There is a plan to repopulate the decayed central areas that is going pretty nicely, this is an economic incentive, by giving out a subside to those who buy an apartment in the central municipalities of Santiago. This has created a good urban renewal without muchs problems of gentrification because those that are repopulating are not the typical high class yuppies, but a more moderate and traditional middle class. Other problems such as crime are not only dependant of urban planning but also of the economic opportunities, education and others. So try to keep an open mind and don't think that urban planning is the cure for all the problems in our societies..

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Perhaps you should consider drastically narrowing the focus of your essay. One thing that comes to mind in light of the French riots involve the role of planning and architecture in the failure of the housing projects. There is a lot of information avaliable on that and it is a "hot" topic (due to France) in urban planning right now.
    The Paris example might be your best bet since you are in Cyprus and folks there are likely more familiar with things in a European context than American issues. It could still prove useful as part of a grad school writing portfolio since most Americans are familiar with the riots, but maybe not so familiar with the underlying causes. If I was reading portfolios for grad applicants into a planning program in the U.S., I would find your essay very interesting and probably read it in more detail than I would yet another essay on why Portland represents all that is good in planning.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Jun 2010, 11:37 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 May 2010, 9:35 AM
  3. Current urban planning problems
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Oct 2009, 2:39 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Apr 2009, 2:04 PM