Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where were you 25 years ago when....

Registered
    Mar 2005

Where were you 25 years ago when....

I am sure this has been touched on before so I expect a merge but....

Where were you when you heard the news? (you know what I am talking about unless you have been living under a rock for the past 40 years)

I was just over a year old. And I am told that I quite enjoyed being rocked (pun intended) to sleep by atleast one certain british band.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    7 years old and playing in the snow.

Quote Originally posted by michiganplanner

Where were you when you heard the news? (you know what I am talking about unless you have been living under a rock for the past 40 years)

I was just over a year old. And I am told that I quite enjoyed being rocked (pun intended) to sleep by atleast one certain british band.

Registered
    Jul 2002

12-08-80

I was at my first job out of college in Caribou, Maine.
    WALSTIB

east stroudsburg state, lenape hall, room 309 with my girlfriend and her roommate. I remember all of us thinking 'why the he!! would someone shoot john lennon?'
    Je suis Charlie Hebdo. Je suis Bataclan. Je suis Bruxelles. Je suis Nice.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it
    7 years old and playing in the snow.
    Ditto here. Only vaguely remember it being on the news.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    10 years old, wondering who John Lennon was.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Going to Community College, living in an apartment on Main street of a small town. It was cold that winter too. I had to park a block away and walk to my place. I remember coming in from a night class freezing,turning on the TV and seeing the reports.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jun 2004
    i had just turned 5 setting on multi-colored high shag carpet and just finished watching george of the jungle and the local evening news came on and i remember them talking about john lennon getting killed. I didn't know who he was at the time other than he was a member of the Beatles. And the on reason i new that is that my paternal grandmother blamed them on the downfall of society and refered to them as those "long haired thugs from England."

Registered
    Feb 2004
    A junior in high school and was consoling my friend who was literally in tears over John's murder (Beatles were his favorite band and Lennon his favorite Beatle)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    At the fraternity house, in the tv room, stunned from the news. I think the first words out of our mouths were WHAT!?!!??
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    2.75 years old and probably refusing to eat my peas.....yuck.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I was 8, and remember it mainly because my older brother was/is a huge Beatles fan.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I guess I was -6 at the time.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Being a stay at home mom chasing a toddler!!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was 10 and although I knew who the Beatles were and liked their music, I really didn't feel the impact of the news.
    Last edited by nerudite; 08 Dec 2005 at 12:27 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I still lived in Louisiana. I was a year out of college and quite aimless. I had come home from a night of drinking beer and smoking bud and saw the news. Quite shocking, but I must admit it didn't affect me much. I loved the Beatles music, but really wasn't tuned into them as people. Within a month of his death, if I never heard "Imagine" ever again I would have been pleased.

Still can't fathom why he ever married Yoko. Or as we used to call her Yucko Oh-NO
    Last edited by otterpop; 08 Dec 2005 at 12:27 PM.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2002
    5 years old and playing with Legos on the floor our tv room.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I was in the car with my brother. We were on our way to high school and picking up some the the neighbors along the way.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sadly, I wasn't even born yet. At least I am able to enjoy his music even today.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    I was 15 years old, in high school, and just as vapid as 15-year-old girls typically are. My static-y clock radio went off to my (what was then hipster) alternative radio station. It was still dark outside, cold in the house, time to get ready for school. Instead of the usual banter on the radio, they were talking in very somber tones. A chill came over me, and honestly, that was the first time I felt loss. Since then I've figured out that rock and roll is a pretty deadly career choice, with a short life expectancy. Thanks for bringing it up. Nice to remember being so naive.

Quote Originally posted by michiganplanner

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I was 7. I don't remember actually hearing the news, but I'm sure my parents talked about it. Dad wasn't a big Beatles fan, but he and mom always talked about the issues of the day.
    I could probably ask them where they were when they heard the news. I did that for a report on Kennedy, and dad gave me lots of info.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    It was two weeks short of my 2nd birthday... I was in the process of driving my parents crazy by terrorizing the apartment building in Sun Prairie Wisconsin, running into people and things in a peddle car.

I did not even know who the beatles where so John Lennon had no meaning to me.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    i was 16, in high school - i remember feeling bad about it but avoiding the overreactionary classmates bawling in the hallway -

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I was -7 at the time.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    I was -7 at the time.
    Ya know, I am not even old and that kind of makes me sick. Darn kids and their....
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Oct 2013, 3:31 PM
  2. New Years
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 03 Jan 2011, 10:21 PM
  3. 500 years forward or 500 years back?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28