Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Public engagement plan

Registered
    May 2002

Public engagement plan

I hope this in the right forum.

Has anyone ever had to write a public engagement plan? Before I started here, my agency had an internal study done, and one of the results of that study was concern over how we deal with the public. Although everyone acknowledges that we are doing a better job, the Board wants a formal set of policies on public engagement. I've been assigned the task and am trying to put together a plan.

Basically, if you've done one, I'd like to know how you formatted it and what you included. It's a pretty open ended project for me, but I don't want to get done and then get told that I didn't read my boss' mind correctly.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here's one I wrote

EDIT: Actually, not to streal credit, we borrowed heavily from a neighboring community.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Not having done one, but having considered it here is what I would do and items I would include. These are in no particular order, but should be organized to form a logical path to completion and identify key deliverables, SWOT at each point and recommendations from your organizational experiences.

PP=Public Participation

1) Identify key tasks/applications/processes that require public input.
    2) Identify when in the process when PP is required/wanted
    3) Determine what type of public participation you want to undertake. (ie open house/survey/hearing charette/workshop...)
    4) Determine who's responsibility the step leading to the PP.
    5) From (3) determine what is going to be presented to the public and in what format.
    5) Identify key deliverables from each type of PP. What are you hoping to get from the PP?
    6) Determine the political process and involvement in PP. Do you want to invite ward councilors or not?

There is lots more in my minds eye, but it is ot ready for prime time yet. If you have any questions, or if I am way off base, let me know.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 1997
    Just a thought. Writing the public engagement plan is an oportunity to start being engaged in a better, more proactive way. Talk to your major constituencies about how best to communicate with them as part of the development of this plan.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'd try and formulate it uniquely and unlike most plans. Public engagement and humongous jargon filled planning documents dont often mix.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Public involvement in planning? What a novel idea!

Registered
    May 2002
    Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. I think this is going to end up being a 20 page document with a mix of what each department is doing, explainations of different communication-related concepts, and what I'd change if I were God for a day.

I am proud to note that I managed to work in Sherry Arnstein's Ladder of Participation!
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Going off the idea of public involvement and participation, has anyone been to Systematic Development of Informed Consent training? I'm going to next month and am wondering what others thought of it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Aug 2013, 5:01 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Jul 2005, 9:14 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 28 Apr 2004, 10:26 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Apr 2004, 9:21 AM
  5. Comp Plan: Public Process
    Make No Small Plans