Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Friday, December 09, 2005 Noontime (Office Christmas Party) Question from Michaelskis

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Friday, December 09, 2005 Noontime (Office Christmas Party) Question from Michaelskis

Office Christmas Parties can be some of the best times of the year. Having food in a relaxed atmosphere with your co-workers while the token rebel gets a bit too liquored up and starts talking about how much of a jerk his boss is, to his boss while hitting on her!”

Ok I don’t think that I have ever seen that happen, but I have been to a few parties that I would cause a physiatrist to question the work environment. This work place has had ok Christmas parties so far, but I think that I should take the helm and spice them up a bit. Hooters here we come!

What have your Christmas Parties been like? Any good stories?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    We have a department party and a city hall luncheon, both are fun but during work so nothing exciting. The City Council also throws a nice party for City employees; last year NO ONE went, this year a few more signed up...I will be attending this year (applying for a new position, need to be nice ) its next Thursday so no good stories here (yet )

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We have a division luncheon next week; potluck at the office. You just throw the food on the table and get out of the way when the survey guys show up...

When I was in zoning here, we had some nice after-hours parties at co-workers homes. I miss that.

RJ says he's missing his office party this weekend because he's here opening birthday presents. (Technically, it's not his birthday just yet...)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Our xmas parties suck. It is the type of thing that if the elected officials don't see you there, they take note and you hear about it later.

The last employer through some great parties, of course, it was at a brewery, so that should tell you something. PCness was not welcome at those parties. Without fail, someone would be passed out, usually next to a sink or toilet. Articles of clothing would be lost, usually by an employee's significant other or guest.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Office Christmas party?? You mean Holiday party?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think Mskis is being more than a little charitable in calling our office parties "ok" (at least you used lower case). They have traditionally been sleepers and you can usually catch at least a half dozen surreptitious watch glances throughout the evening. The only year things improved slightly was the time when I challenged some of our coworkers to a 'quarters' match, only then did things liven up.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I haven't been to a good Christmas party in years. Boring.
    _____

Years ago we DID have a Supervisor get smashed and grab the microphone from the band. He went into a long description of what a jerk our boss was, who was doing who, how much he hated the workplace, and he ended up by telling us that his wife was out in the car having relations with another Supervisor.

We finally took the microphone from him, he broke down in tears.

His wife WAS doing just what he said.

Within a week or so, we had some new Supervisors.
    _____

The Supervisor out in the car? He started his own business and has been married to that same woman for about thirty (30) years.

The Supervisor with the microphone? He left our business and enjoyed a long career at a Bowling Green, OH, manufacturer. BTW.....we went out drinking awhile after that and he met the woman who would be his future wife.

I think about all of this whenever I think about Christmas parties.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We usually have two office parties. One for the whole fourth floor, during office hours. The food is good, but most of the people really aren't people I know that well. Then we have an off-premise party for people in planning and environmental health, which used to be at a bar but now is at someone's house. Liqour is served bbut no one gets out of hand.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Oh crap, did anyone see The Office this week. It was hilarious!!

We do not have a Christmas (holiday, etc.) party here - reasoning is that it is not something the taxpayers should be paying for. And, no one would consider paying for themselves.

We do however have a potluck and then this week, we are all going out to lunch.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I did not attend this year's party (held last Saturday)...although after hearing some of the details, I kind of wish I had. Apparently there was a bit of a brawl in the parking lot as the party was breaking up. Seems one of our (drunk) younger engineers verbally objected to his (very drunk) supervisor attempting to grope his (the young engineer's) (extremely drunk) girlfriend. The supervisor's response was along the lines of "yeah, so what are you going to do about it?"...the kid shoved him, he decked the kid, and all hell broke loose.

Rumor has it that next year's party will be alcohol free.

(bear in mind that I work in the private sector, so this is not your tax dollars at work)

Registered
    May 2002
    Your tax dollars (well, gas tax dollars, if you live in Michigan) are going toward a party tomorrow morning for the staff's kids! The wife and I are getting The Boy out of bed early and trotting him down here, and I'm playing Santa Claus.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Ours was today and as the new guy in the office, I had to plan it. We were going bowling, but had to cancel because of the snow and mess around here. We also do a lunch catered by our director and our mayor hosts another lunch as well.

Registered
    Mar 2004

ok i guess

Our party is held around lunch at the local community center. Ok food, not a place to have "fun" though, mostly to be seen.

The private sector has the best parties and they do live it up! lavish locations and great food/drinks......oh well...... I did work for a City that had a decent holiday party off site, that was cool I will go for a free lunch this year, but not much cheer involved.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Pretty lame, which all things considered is okay with me.

Several administrations ago, it was de rigeur to shower the mayor with expensive gifts, such as gold jewelry, tailored shirts, expensive electronics. They'd shake down the staff in order to pay for these baubbles. Let's say I wasn't too grief-stricken when the mayor wasn't re-elected
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2003
    Ours are snoozers. We have food in the breakroom. The only good part about it is that the whole afternoon is basically shot so you don't have to do any work after that. Also there's the free food....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    When I worked at my last job, we were told that we where going to this “Dinner Theater” place that was an old brewery, and it was held in the underground caverns. This place typically has a mid-evil style dinner show, so we were thinking nice and happy with castles and knights and such.

Lets just say that someone bought me a hot oil massage that seem to be more like a lap dance from a scantily clad female elf, (and yes I was shirtless at the dinner table, with 40 other people, while she sat on my lap and... well you get the idea). This was in addition to the whipping and hot candle wax being poured onto my back and watching Santa blow fire out of his mount without lighting his beard on fire. Needless to say, everyone was surprised with the s n’ m Christmas Party. Dinner Theater my ar$e!

(anyone in mid Pennsylvania who is interested in booking this place, let me know I will send you the contact info)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Our Christmas party is today and starts in a little over 30 min (2:00pm CST). I'm guessing it's going to pretty boring, but the food smells good. We are a smaller city so EVERY city employee is invited and I don't know any of the sanitation, streets, or public works employees. The good thing is that we don't have to go back to work this afternoon after that, which means I'm done with work at 3:00.haha

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Yes I have a funny Christmas Party story.
    Husband #2 had just started working at the Mental Health Center and we were trying to be appropriate. First thing that happened as he gets out of the car you hear a clink and then you hear something sliding on the ice. Oh is yelling Oh sh1t it si my scotch. We watch it slide down the gutter and into the storm drain, we hear nothing and crash...

So then we go in, have to do a shot or can't get in the door.
    Then later that evening. The girls have all gathered in the kitchen and are have a contest on who can deep throat a bread stick the furthest. I will never forget that one.

We have three parties this year. They should all be fairly tame.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Ours is tonight, and the ZMan is not going. We are having a potluck a couple days prior to Christmas, and I will be bringing some strange Hungarian food for everyone.

My GF works for a private construction company. Their party is at the boss HUGE house and apparently is really swanky. You get door prizes for weekend getaways and other toffeenosed things. Fun part about her company parties is that I am a lamb among wolves, as her company has had to deal with my planning office on occasion...

I hear there is free drinks though...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Someone is getting pushed into the pool tomorrow.................
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 Dec 2005, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 08 Dec 2005, 11:43 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 06 Dec 2005, 5:04 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last post: 06 Dec 2005, 12:16 PM
  5. Replies: 7