Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hunter College

Registered
    Nov 2005

Hunter College

I am just looking for any info on Hunter College and the MURP program. Those who have attended or are attending or anyone that can shed some light on the school and program.

I live in NYC so Hunter is my backup if I am not accepted elsewhere.

Thanks.

Registered
    Nov 2004

hunter

Shishi,

I really enjoyed my time at Hunter. The program had a lot to offer. It still has an "advocacy" planning focus but you can really get what you want out of the program by utilizing all the resources that are available. For instance, I was very interested in getting some solid GIS experience, at the time I was at Hunter, they only offered basis GIS classes, so I went to the Geo. Department and got my GIS cert. through them. Countless number of people told me that I couldn't do this or that when I was researching taking the GIS classes but if you push through the CUNY bureaucracy, the options are great.

The opportunity to take classes with David Harvey, John Mollonkopf, Neil Smith, Fred Siegel and professors from other CUNY and NYC based schools is un-surpassed and quite a benefit.

Hope that helps.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otisbirdsong
    Shishi,

I really enjoyed my time at Hunter. The program had a lot to offer. It still has an "advocacy" planning focus but you can really get what you want out of the program by utilizing all the resources that are available. For instance, I was very interested in getting some solid GIS experience, at the time I was at Hunter, they only offered basis GIS classes, so I went to the Geo. Department and got my GIS cert. through them. Countless number of people told me that I couldn't do this or that when I was researching taking the GIS classes but if you push through the CUNY bureaucracy, the options are great.

The opportunity to take classes with David Harvey, John Mollonkopf, Neil Smith, Fred Siegel and professors from other CUNY and NYC based schools is un-surpassed and quite a benefit.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the reply and info.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Jan 2012, 6:35 PM
  2. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 19 May 2011, 3:46 PM