Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mid-sized downtowns

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Mid-sized downtowns

The development community has expressed interest in having the city I work for modify the development standards within downtown in order to make development projects more financially feasible. Suggestions included increasing the density to around 40 to 50 dwelling units per acre and allowing building heights of up to 45 feet. In order for City officials to get a better understanding of what such a change might look like, I would like to receive your suggestions of places in California that provide an example of this type of density and height.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AugieDog
    The development community has expressed interest in having the city I work for modify the development standards within downtown in order to make development projects more financially feasible. Suggestions included increasing the density to around 40 to 50 dwelling units per acre and allowing building heights of up to 45 feet. In order for City officials to get a better understanding of what such a change might look like, I would like to receive your suggestions of places in California that provide an example of this type of density and height.
    That seems like the same question as your previous thread here: California villages
    Re-read the previous thread and that should help.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    You want density of 40 - 50 people an acre but don't want to go over 45 feet? I think you could easily accomodate 55 -60 feet and still have a nice downtown feel. 45 feet tall only gives you one more story. I guess I need more infromation to make a real good suggestion. How about allowing first floor commercial with 2nd and 3rd floor office or condos??? Is parking a problem? Do you have a big neighbor town to compete with?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Vibrant mid-sized downtowns
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Mar 2011, 4:18 AM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last post: 29 Jun 2006, 10:24 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 19 Aug 2005, 8:23 PM
  4. Best medium-sized Midwest city
    Cities and Places