Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thank you Google, I am no longer an idiot!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Thank you Google, I am no longer an idiot!

This is the thread to throw all your praise and worship toward Google for making your life easier!

My praise goes to the "define" function because it helps me read and understand case law pertaining to zoning issues. Case in point, Latin phrases, such as in propria persona meant nothing to me. But thanks to Google, I now know it means, "acting for oneself in a lawsuit." Yes!!! I am no longer an idiot!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Google Earth.
    Available at no cost, and useful enough that the U.S. government is concerned that it gives too much detail. Yes, other products recieve the same concern, but Google Earth does so many cool things. Dig.

Registered
    May 2004
    alternatively- google has helped me to realize how much I don't know- and how much of an idiot I am.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    GOOGLE TRANSIT!

It's not that useful to me right now since it only does Portland but when it comes to Atlanta, POW!

It works the way people want transit to work instead of how the map or web site guys force you to think when trying to figure out how to get somewhere. Looking through twenty PDFs of routes and schedules suck. Being about to say "Elm Street to Broad Avenue by 8:30pm" and have it come back with walking directions at both ends of the trip plus any connections and alternatives is great.

I hope this will be put in kiosks in out transit systems plus have a mobile phone version.

http://www.google.com/transit

Quote Originally posted by The District
    Google Earth.
    Available at no cost, and useful enough that the U.S. government is concerned that it gives too much detail. Yes, other products recieve the same concern, but Google Earth does so many cool things. Dig.
    Have you tried Virtual Earth yet? It doesn't touch Google Earth on most things but it does have a huge collection of aerial photography built in that is vastly superior to the quality of any satellite images we're privy to. Find your house and then click on the "Bird's Eye View" button. Also notice that there is a second zoom level most places.

http://local.live.com/
    Last edited by nerudite; 14 Dec 2005 at 10:31 AM. Reason: merge
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Dec 2005

Google News Alerts

Google News Alerts

I can create news alerts for all of the projects, bills, legislation that Iam monitoring and each morning I've got all of the latest articles from multiple news sources right there waiting for me.

Google Desktop

I can search my own desktop, and company network, by keyword and get all relevant files returned instantly. No more afternoons wading through Internet Explorer

Picasa

All my pictures displayed in one program? Automatically updates each time I open it? A bunch of nifty tools to edit? I am sold

Google Earth
    Takes all this georefrenced data and high quality imagery, and packages it in a way that even my boss can use!!

Google kicks ass

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Gmail

Need I say more?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2005

froogle

FROOGLE: Finds the stuff I want to buy, and I can arrange it by cost, so the cheapest one comes up first. Why shop anyplace else??

Slightly Off-topic: I am also in love with answers.com. It is where I can define unknown legal mumbo-jumbo AND it will give you the names "Huey, Duey, and Lewy" in 15 different languages!! you never know when you might need that piece of information!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Google Toolbar is great. The Word Find and highlighter are really useful when you're at a wordy webpage. Sometimes when I'm using someone else's computer, I find myself missing it and get the urge to install!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 08 Dec 2004, 8:50 AM
  2. Monica Lewinsky you're an idiot
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 27 Jun 2004, 11:24 PM
  3. Arnold Schwarzennager is an idiot...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 43
    Last post: 10 Oct 2003, 12:48 AM