Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: World Cup Germany- bring it on!

Registered
    Jun 2005

World Cup Germany- bring it on!

Australia one of two weakest, says US coach
    SMH online (www.smh.com.au) December 6, 2005 - 12:43PM

The Socceroos have been rated as one of the two weakest sides at next year's World Cup by United States head coach Bruce Arena.

Despite Australia having beaten world No. 18 Uruguay to qualify, Arena considered Australia and Trinidad and Tobago to be the easiest sides to beat in the event starting next June.

World No. 49 Australia are ranked higher than four other sides at the World Cup finals in Germany next year, with Ghana (50), Trinidad and Tobago (51), Togo (56) and Angola (62) all trailing.

"The last time around the easy games were China and Saudi Arabia," Arena said on the Sports Illustrated website.

"This time around you'd probably say Australia and Trinidad and Tobago are the weak ones."

"But Australia have basically all of its players in Europe, and Trinidad have a guy [in Dwight Yorke] who was arguably the top striker in soccer."

Arena has guided the United States to the quarter-finals at the 2002 World Cup and to eighth spot in the world rankings.

Ok, so Australia just got through to the cup for the first time in like 30 something years......

But i think the US should take us a bit more seriously!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Could come back to haunt us, I guess...

I am excited and interested in seeing how the States will fare.

BTW, natski, what time is it out there? Isn't it like Friday morning or something?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Could come back to haunt us, I guess...

I am excited and interested in seeing how the States will fare.

BTW, natski, what time is it out there? Isn't it like Friday morning or something?
    Ha ha yeah yeah we have a hard draw so we shall see!

Its Wednesday morning in Sydney 10.15am to be exact!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    the US will choke.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    the US will choke.
    U.S. has a good chance of getting at least a 2nd place in their group. The difficult group, I believe, will be group C. What do you guys think?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    You dont have Brazil, Japan and Croatia!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I am putting my money on Germany to win it. They have become a far more attacking side in recent times under the tutelage of Jurgen Klinsmann.

That said, Brazil will probably come back to bite my bum and win the whole thing. They have class in spades. However, just to stop it from becoming a boring competition, I hope that someone apart from Brazil wins. Anybody but England and The U.S. Then we'll never hear the end of it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Boru
    Anybody but England and The U.S. Then we'll never hear the end of it.
    I think that the U.S. has a ways to go before they will ever win the World Cup. England, on the other hand, could pull off winning it all. At that point, you are right, we will never here the end of it.

The U.S. though deperately need to get a win their opening match to have any hopes of progressing into the second stage.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Boru
    I hope that someone apart from Brazil wins. Anybody but England and The U.S. Then we'll never hear the end of it.
    if England wins you'll never hear the end of it, but I doubt you'll hear a peep if the US wins. After all, at last count we had 24 soccer fans inside our borders and 12 of them are English immigrants!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Natski--The Aussies are ranked 49th in the world! Just the facts.

The US side has a tough draw but lets not forget we got to the quarters in 2002 and lost a heartbreaker to the Germans.

The US is a respectable world side at this point. To Tie Italy in the first match would be fine with me.

England and Brazil, maybe the Germans and the Dutch should be odds on.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u

The US side has a tough draw but lets not forget we got to the quarters in 2002 and lost a heartbreaker to the Germans.

The US is a respectable world side at this point. To Tie Italy in the first match would be fine with me.

England and Brazil, maybe the Germans and the Dutch should be odds on.
    With all of that talent, those MILLIONS of kids, running around on those youth league football pitches here in the USofA over the past couple of decades, and more doing it every year, I actually am fully convinced that the USA men will reach the championship match, if not WIN it all, before 2020.

Mike

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    It is also a fact the we beat Uruguay to make it to the world cup, who are World No. 18.

And it is also a fact that when we play our international matches we also play challenging teams!

We are lucky we dont have Brazil as our first game, so we have an ok chance as coming second in our pool.

I hope England dont win, just because no one will hear the end of it.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by natski
    I hope England dont win, just because no one will hear the end of it.
    Let's go England!!!!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Let's go England!!!!
    Please God no! You dont understand. Its bad enough being english speaking so you have to hear about 1966 over and over again almost 40 years later as if it was only yesterday. But if they were to win again in this day and age of hype, 24-hour news channels and the prevalance of shared terrestrial television channels between the UK and Ireland, then my life would become a misery.

No.

Come on Deutschland.

As an aside, my country didnt reach the finals. Well done to all who did. I may go over to Germany next year to soak up the atmosphere. I might pretend to be Australian. Score with the Germans.

Bonzer!

Since my Danes didn't get through, I'm not as excited about 2006. There are sides I will not root for, notably Germany and Sweden. I like the Netherlands but Group C is cursed for sure. I'll have to think about it, I guess.

Oz? I thought you guys just played rugby, cricket and Australian rules football.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Australia finally pulled through to get in. That's the fallout from playing in the weak Oceania region which explains their previous troubles. As for Team USA, 1-1-1 looks realistic (W over Ghana, L to Italy, draw against Czechs) and tiebreakers will determint their fate. I always pull for Holland (my darkhorse squad) but that dreaded Group of Death could kill their hopes.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Oz? I thought you guys just played rugby, cricket and Australian rules football.
    Cmon we are nation of sporting achievers!

We have been rather unlucky not to make the cup for a number of years- but the national league has been revamped and public were very much behind the team this year.

Boru- you can be an honourary Aussie, we need all the support we can get- apparently we cant get accomodation over there!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Boru- you can be an honourary Aussie, we need all the support we can get- apparently we cant get accomodation over there![/QUOTE]

I'm going to camp. The German campsites have really high levels of accommodation. Or, dont sleep at all. I recommend Cologne for nightlife! Dusseldorf for beer!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Work sample question - to bring or not to bring
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Jan 2013, 12:40 PM
  2. Greetings from Germany..!!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Dec 2012, 5:04 PM
  3. Germany says Hi
    Introduce Yourself