Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How Diligent is the US Postal Service (AIB ZMan's Aussie Letter)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

How Diligent is the US Postal Service (AIB ZMan's Aussie Letter)

So I check the mail yesterday and I get a letter to addressed someone in Melbourne, Australia in my mail box. I live in the middle of the USA!
    This letter is from a college in Dublin, Ireland too. This is weird, as it somehow ended up in my mailbox.
    The only correlation I found was that the address numbers for my house and the destination in Melbourne are the same. It had the USPS routing barcode at the bottom, which probably sent it to my house (when the computer was looking at it), but the postman obvoiusly didn't see this when he placed the letter in my box-- he probably just looked at the address number.

But I still think that it is weird that a letter from Ireland to Australia would be handled by the U.S. Post Office and delivered to someone in the U.S.

ZMan's course of action: I think I may write this guy (is Nelius a guy's name?) a letter from me explaing the situation his mail got into and send him his original letter on my dime.

Wierd though....
    Last edited by zman; 14 Dec 2005 at 3:08 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I used to defend USPS because of the huge amount of mail they move every day until they delived my W2 to an address on another street (the guy opened it but was nice enough to call me to come get it), delivered my car registration renewal to a neighbor, found the neighbors' mail in my yard and kept getting neighbors' mail in my mail box, all in the last 2 years. About 15 years ago I was living in Boulder and I got was a letter that was addressed to someone else at a different location, had an offical USPS warning stamp about defacing the US mail, the letter was stained with what looked like eggs and had a posting/stamp cancelation date that was 2 days into the future. Very strange!

Registered
    May 2003
    Sounds like the original mistake was made by somebody at the Royal Post. I wonder if the people at the USPS just didn't notice his mistake or figured that if they gave it a bogus barcode and didn't say anything it would become Somebody Else's Problem.

Senior Jefe: Sounds like you had a bad postman. Most places I've lived, mail delivery has been spot-on. But at my current apartment, the girl doesn't give a **** and she makes all kinds of mistakes. Maybe I should call and compain...

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I've noticed that this problem is getting worse in the last few months. I got someone's water bill payment for some town in MO. The only thing that matched was City of H.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Sounds like the original mistake was made by somebody at the Royal Post.
    I don't know what the postal system in the Republic of Ireland is called, but I'm pretty sure it's not the Royal Post!!!!

Registered
    May 2003
    Oh, Ireland. I read that as Britian somehow.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    where we lived in massachusetts before moving here to maine, the mailman lived across the street and delivered the neighborhood - it was a little mayberrry-esque in that if you saw his car in the driveway and not the PO truck, you knew he was sick and guess what, no mail that day - and vacations, forgettaboutit

now here in maine, it's really confusing - i have both a rural post box at the end of my driveway and and a post office box, town hall is also just down the street from the post office so sometimes the mail addressed to my house comes to my office because they know where i work and they thought i might want to see it (lol), or other variations depending upon the situation - it's hilarious!

I may get rid of the post office box when it's up for renewal and just have mail delivered to the hosue or office

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I have had similar problems as all of you. But I get really steamed when items I send or are sent to be get stolen, which has occurred on more than one occasion.

Last year, my friend sent me her memory card with photos of MY WEDDING on it. It was delivered to my apartment complex and accepted by management. But when I opened it, there was no memory card! I carefully examined the package and noticed a small slit. I know management didnt steal it because I knew them personally and never had problems before in the 3 years I lived there. Even though my friend sent it insured, USPS would not pay for it because it had been signed for upon delivery. CROOKS! That was it! Now, anything I send goes through Fedex or the like.
    urbanchik

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I just dont understand the postal service sometimes.

Like i posted a heap of christmas cards out to friends, some domestic (like in the next suburb) and some international (belgium, switzerland etc)

All my international friends got the card before the ones living down the road got them.... kinda strange.

Zman cant you put on the letter "return to sender, address unknown" (sorry for the awful Elvis reference!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    now here in maine, it's really confusing - i have both a rural post box at the end of my driveway and and a post office box, town hall is also just down the street from the post office so sometimes the mail addressed to my house comes to my office because they know where i work and they thought i might want to see it (lol), or other variations depending upon the situation - it's hilarious!
    When i lived in rural Nb, same ting, if it was to big for the mailbox, they'd drop it at the office, same with couriers, once they found out where I worked, they would not even bothr going to my house.

On a mail redirection note, a letter addressed to someone with the same name as my brother in law, but an illegible address was making its way from post office to post office in my parent's area, hoping to find the person it was supoed to go to.

Other item, a friend of the family, is well known in a certain field and well known in the province and would get mail sent to HIS NAME New Brunswick Canada. No postal code, no town. the reason is that there at that time there was only 2 sorting stations and they knew him.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by natski
    Zman cant you put on the letter "return to sender, address unknown" (sorry for the awful Elvis reference!
    I figured I would write to the person just to say that I did. Who knows, I may have a pen pal after that. But we'll see what to do. Just a wierd situation, but I am still wondering how it got to me while it was addressed with a completely different name and street/ plus Australia looks a heck of a lot different than Colorado. I wonder why the postman (WHO LOOKS AT THE ADDRESSES AS HE PUTS THEM IN THE BOX) still put it in there.
    We have USPS Rural carriers in my town, and I see now that there are a lot of people who have had trouble with rural mail service.

I found out that a coworker used to live in North Dakota. His roommate then was from a different country and the roommate's brother send him a letter with an address of:
    (Name)
    North Dakota, USA

And it still got to him eventually.

I also remember that my grandparents would get letters from relatives still in Hungary and those would be addressed really weird and arrival close to a year after they'd been sent.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2003
    I think they probably saw "Australia" at the end of the address and read it as "America," and then the people at the USPS who barcoded it either didn't notice or didn't want to go to the trouble of fixing it. After it gets barcoded, from what I understand, nobody looks at the address again until it's in the postman's satchel.

BTW: Has anyone heard about plans to increase the number of digits on a zip code by 2 (iirc). So it'd go from XXXXX-XXXX to XXXXX-XXXX-XX. With that, they could have computers sort the mail into delivery order rather than having the postmen do it. So essentially, your house will have its own serial number and all other addressing information will become superfluous.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    I think they probably saw "Australia" at the end of the address and read it as "America,"
    Ah perhaps the Irish postal workers need geography lessons- i mean "American", there is no such country! Its USA!

I would understand if it got send to Austria....

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Yes, you're right, but I'm also sure they get a lot of that.

I bet they also handle a lot of mail going to Scotland or Wales addressed to "England" or mail going to Nothern Ireland addressed to "Ireland" or any other manner of inaccuracies.

One thing I've not yet figured out is if mail going to Brooklyn should be labled "Brooklyn, NY" or "New York. NY" I've heard it both ways many times.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by urbanchik
    I have had similar problems as all of you. But I get really steamed when items I send or are sent to be get stolen, which has occurred on more than one occasion.
    About a half-dozen gift cards got stolen in the past year that were to come to us as wedding presents. What is the protocol on sending thank you notes for something that was supposedly sent, but never received? I'm so ticked at the USPS/Canada Post over this.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have twice lived in places where a neighbor moved, and instead of forwarding their mail to their new home, the Post Office forwarded mine! Never did get any of it back.

I once got a neighbor's package delivered to my house. The ex- wanted to open it and see if it was something worth keeping. What an a$$. I took it to the intended recipient.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    When I was living in England my mother sent me a package for christmas at the begining of December. When the package hadn't srrived and I was ready to leave for my break (I travled around the continent and Scotland) I fgured it was just tied up at customs. When I got back and it still hadn't arrived and their was no indication that it had been attempted to have been delivered I started calling the Royal Mail and even went to their sorting facility to check up on it. They hadn't seen it either. So when I went to return to the States I figured that I'd never see and my mother would try to get the claim the insurance for it. Several months later (It was at least April, but may have been May or June) the postman arrived at my house with the package. Apparently it had made to England but I wasn't home. The odd thing is the Royal Mail never had it but instead it was handled by a private courier service similar to UPS or Fedex.

Twice now, in the same week, I've gotten Christmas (oops, Holiday or Season's) cards with the correct house number but wrong street. We have only one ZIP code in town and all I can think is that the optical reader has mis-read the street name and it ended up in my box.

I mark such mail "mis-delivered" and put it back at my box so the USPS doesn't get off Scot-free.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I live in a small hamlet community and other than the fact that the PO is only open for like 3 hours a day (and it's a surprise as to which hours they are), they're pretty good here. The one small town problem I've had is -- I have a joint account with a cousin (she was 3 when we opened the account), and the mail gets sent to my address with her name on it. My aunt and uncle live across town (they have her last name, but aren't her parents), and EVERY month, this one letter comes with my aunt's handwriting on it, saying "please note street address". Why bother looking at the actual address? The postman knows where everybody lives, right??
    Once, I sent an Easter package to my sister in SC (from NY) and she got it around the 4th of July. All intact, but somehow in USPS limbo for a good 3 months.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    May 2003
    For some reason, whenever a distant friend or relative writes me a letter, they alway change my house number from 707 to things like 708,808,700,800 or something like that. Yet every time I always get it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I once sent a letter out addressed: MasterSgt. Whoever Whoever, Specific AFB, City, State, WRONG ZIP (I could only remember Town Next Door) and it got through with no problem. My friend even saved the envelope because he couldn't believe it made it in only a couple days. (Although I suspect that the USPS just got it to the base and the Federal Gov't did the rest.)
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I mark such mail "mis-delivered" and put it back at my box so the USPS doesn't get off Scot-free.
    I wish we could do that! There is no out-going mail from private mailboxes in Canada. We get mail delivered to us about once a month that belongs to people one street over, and it's easier to walk over and give it to them in person than to walk three blocks to the nearest post box. Did I mention they don't deliver on Saturday either? I still check the mail on Saturdays out of habit though.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My postal delivery sucks, I regularly miss bank statements, bills, APA magazines, what have you. I also get about 12 copies of the junk flyer sections every Monday. I called the company that puts them together to complain and be taken off their mailing list, but I still get them anyways. Sometimes I get my neighbors mail and just walk it over to their box, other times I get mail for my address, but several streets to the east or west.

As far as I'm concerned mail does not need to be delivered everyday, but there needs to be regular delivery, with increased quality of service.

There seems to be a lot of effort to delivering mail, yet the number of pieces you get every day may be only one or two on the average (with the rest being junk). I don't understand why the USPS does not switch over to a 2 day system, where a postal worker works two routes, delivers them every other day with a ten hour shift. The extra time should allow them to never have to worry about being overworked.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Another Aussie
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 May 2013, 11:48 PM
  2. US Postal Service
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 24 Jan 2013, 1:39 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last post: 09 Aug 2011, 2:16 PM