Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I'd hate to be his neighbor!

Registered
    Dec 2003

I'd hate to be his neighbor!

A friend of mine sent this to me and NHPlanner said I should post it here.

This guy is from Mason, Ohio. He is a lights director for Rock Bands and concerts. He went above and beyond the normal christmas lights.

http://209.124.62.135/lights.wmv

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    He broadcast the music through a low frequency FM transmitter, you could pick it up in your car. Interesting write up on Snopes.

He caused so much traffic, he had to shut the display down.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    This is the most amazing Christmas lights I've ever seen. Wow..... Too bad I am not in Ohio. I don't mind to stay in traffic just to take a look of this house.
    Work hard, play hard.
    Listen carefully, see broadly.
    Good people, great environment, wonderful life.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Looks pretty cool but yes would suck to live close to him
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Crown Point had a guy that really did up his house every year. The city actually put up streets signs to help with the traffic. People would come to miles to see it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    That display is A-frickin-mazing! He really took that song and brought it to life with the lights. Thanks Mattoon for the snopes article too.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    That was awesome. Makes Clark Griswold look like a hack.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    That was....clever.

I liked the song the most.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    I liked the song the most.
    I'll be looking to add the Trans-Siberian Orchestra to my Christmas music list....catchy tune indeed.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I'll be looking to add the Trans-Siberian Orchestra to my Christmas music list....catchy tune indeed.

I got turned on to them last year. That's a great tune, but I think Carol of the Bells is better. TSO used to be the group Savatage
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2001
    We have an entire loop-street subdivision that decks itself out. Candy Cane Lane is the one name they choose many years.

Myself, I much prefer the soft glow of luminaria candles in paper sacks. That's a beautiful thing to see in the rural valley northwest of me (Gordon Valley) on Christmas Eve and Christmas Night.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Hate to be his neighbors? Heck, I'd hate to have the utility bill!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB jenniplans
    Even better yet, who would be happy to have the cash equivalent of that utility bill ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2004

Christmas Lights display that blows away anything I've ever seen:

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Argh! Inline video won't display. Why do Web sites do that?

Anyhow, one of the most impressive Christmas light diaplays I've seen was in the Mesilla Park neighborhood in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Just about everybody in the neighborhood had an elaborate light display -- including real paper bag luminarias that lined most driveways and sidewalks. It was an annual tradition which drew a LOT of traffic; thousands would drive slowly up and down each street in the neighborhood, with only their driving lights on. I haven't seen anything like it since.

I love the look of luminarias, but with the constant snow of Cleveland, the real deal won't work here. I have to settle for chile pepper lights to lend a Southwestern air to the holidays.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    That has been done in another post. Saw the owner of that house on the morning show last week.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan

Anyhow, one of the most impressive Christmas light diaplays I've seen was in the Mesilla Park neighborhood in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Just about everybody in the neighborhood had an elaborate light display -- including real paper bag luminarias that lined most driveways and sidewalks. It was an annual tradition which drew a LOT of traffic; thousands would drive slowly up and down each street in the neighborhood, with only their driving lights on. I haven't seen anything like it since.

I love the look of luminarias, but with the constant snow of Cleveland, the real deal won't work here. I have to settle for chile pepper lights to lend a Southwestern air to the holidays.
    We have two nieghborhoods here in the city that do them as well as two cemetaries that put them on every interment. It is really neat. This year because of the crappy weather and ice damage no one did them. Snow and ice isn't usally much of a problem here in North Carolina. The thing we have to contend with is that both of this neighborhoods have extensive decidious tree coverage... which means leaves and lots of them. It took a number of years and a number of brush fires before they realized they probably needed to coorinate with the city to have the leaves removed before the luminaria display. The fire truck lights did add to the event

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    Moderator note:
    Threads merged
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    .... -- including real paper bag luminarias that lined most driveways and sidewalks. ....
    ZG's got me hooked into doing this on Friday night.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm....

I wonder if ITE has a worksheet for this type of seasonal traffic.......snicker....he he he....traffic nerds
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I wonder if ITE has a worksheet for this type of seasonal traffic.......snicker....he he he....traffic nerds

here is what they reccomend...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Is our neighbor a stripper?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Sep 2011, 1:02 PM
  2. You think YOU got a bad neighbor?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Mar 2006, 1:08 PM
  3. Bad neighbor of the week 5/14/03