Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Glory Days

Registered
    Aug 2005

Glory Days

This morning's rainy day weather has me a bit nostalgic, not to mention my birthday this past weekend. The dreary weather got me thinking about some good old times from when I was younger. I think one of the best periods of my life must've been when I was about 24-25. I was living in Long Island, had a fun group of friends and did pretty much nothing (besides working in NYC) but play soccer and get drunk. I did a lot of stupid sh*t around that time too but it was fun and definitely worth the memories.

How about you? When were your Glory Days?
    Last edited by dandy_warhol; 14 Aug 2012 at 9:15 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm pretty sure most folks' Glory Days occur somewhere from their late teens to mid-20's. For me, it would encompass that stretch of time where I enlisted and the couple years after I got discharged, where I got involved in some fun but questionable activities (with some fun but questionable people).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Based on how people typically define "Glory Days", I'd have to say a three year period right after high school when I was 18-21. Made and solidified long lasting friendships during this time. Lots of partying and tom-foolery.

However, when I look back on my relatively short life, I'm able to pick things out from all stages of my life that brings back good memories, even from those times when I thought my life sucked.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

However, when I look back on my relatively short life, I'm able to pick things out from all stages of my life that brings back good memories, even from those times when I thought my life sucked.
    Oh, I agree. I've had a pretty good life with lots of nice memories, but when I look back on a snippet of my life, 24-25 was full of a lot of fun and no cares. I wouldn't necessarily want to relive those times but in my mind they were a lot of fun. The sad (but healthy part) is that I'm really not friends with most of those people any more.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Grad school was the best for me even though it was split by military service. No real responsibility other than to educate the brain cells that I wasn't killing with "recreational" activities.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    If you would have asked me this question 6 years ago, I would have said that it was when I was an undergrad. I was going out 4 to 5 nights a week, was actively involved with several organizations on campus, and even ran for student body president.

But now, and much like Btrage and Dandy, I can look back at every different segment and find good in them. However, now that I am married, have two kids, live in a great location in a great city, I feel that the best time of my life is yet to come. I still anticipate challenges, but I have taken some steps, including becoming my own boss, that I think will allow great things to happen in the future.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    When I was 18-19 before RT was born. The brevity of it probably saved me from a lot of trouble.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    I dunno. the ages 17 to 23 were pretty cool. I basically just spent a lot of time hanging with friends, surfing and getting wasted. but that was kind of aimless. Maybe my glory days are right now? Less surfing, less everyday friends, less getting wasted, but also less aimless.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm going with my early 40's:

Did very well in extremely high-intensity job
    Single mom of young child, involved in his school and other activities (Cub Scouts, track, soccer); driving kid all over to see friends, setting up cool, inexpensive birthday parties and many other events
    Taking care of elderly mom
    Loving our home, fixing it up and decorating for holidays, planting veggies and harvesting with the kid
    Tons of girlfriends, family friends, parents I met at kid's school we hung out with, camping trips, etc

Certainly the most productive phase of my life. Non-stop, exhausting, but very memorable and I'm proud of what I accomplished then.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Echoes of (former) glory
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 17 May 2011, 1:44 PM
  2. School Days, Golden Rule Days
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Feb 2011, 11:42 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 10:48 AM