Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

You can also see a program about Sturgis on Discovery Channel.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Hmmm... isn't the rally going on now? Any Cyburbians logging in from their laptops?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Being the good family environment it is, nice girls get rewarded all the time by the denizens of the North Pole. Heck, here's a pic of an elf helping Santa compile his naughty and nice list. (I'm guessing the young lady probably ended up on the 'nice' list)
    It sure is special to see some of these guys bringing their daughters out to the bike rally for some family bonding time
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    It sure is special to see some of these guys bringing their daughters out to the bike rally for some family bonding time
    Might even be his grand daughter. That's what Sturgis is all about. Family. Just like Las Vegas used to be. Sniff...I'm starting to get all sentimental. Think I'll go look for some extended family.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    It's all about the spirit of human generosity. You know, even if some of these guys' own daughters or granddaughters aren't able to be there, they're perfectly willing to bond with someone else's. It is just so cool.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We have a current issue here. Cassoday Ks town of 120 people have an average of 5000 bikers show up for breakfast once a month. Some of the town residents are tired of it. My office is trying to decide if we want to invite them here. Most of those that show up are weekend bikers that have extra $$$ to spend.

Really really trying to figure out how to atract them.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    Daughters and granddaughters serving breakfast will bring em in.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Daughters and granddaughters serving breakfast will bring em in.
    I can work that out...
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I went last summer with my FIL and some of his friends. The trip itself was a bit of a disaster with RV mechanical issues and the subsequent golfball-size hail during the rally, but I had a good time.

One of my distinct, quintessential Sturgis memories is eating breakfast at the food barn at the campsite with my FIL, sitting across from two attractive 25 y.o. women wearing nothing but cheeky hotpants, pasties shaped like a pot leaf, and black fishnet shirts. And before anyone starts judging, they sat down after we did. They were smart though... guys were coming up and paying $5 a pop to take pictures with each of them. At the rate things were going, they had to make a ton of money during the event.

You can see plenty of other interesting things at the bars, like a guy apparently having sex with a gal on his motorcycle while doing a burnout in the Full Throttle burnout pit until blowing out his tire (I guess that is literal and figurative).

Seriously, I went for the great rides that are up there. The Black Hills area is beautiful and the Badlands has to be one of the most interesting places I've ever been. Generally, I liked nearby Deadwood better than Sturgis.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    The businesses in a lot of the little villages and hamlets in the hills south of Buffalo seem to recognize the economic impact of weekend bikers. Lots of "WELCOME BIKER" banners and the like, and the accompanying rows of Harleys, customs and exotics.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Usually bump this thread every couple of years or so.

Only 5 more shopping days....anyone going this year or head out there last year?

http://www.sturgis.com/
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    For several years in a row we've put off our trip to the Black Hills because of the Sturgis Rally. I always take my vacation about the time of the rally. So maybe next year the family vacation needs to be a few weeks earlier. That way I can get there before the bikers even get to the Beartooth Rally, in Red Lodge, Montana.

I don't know if the Harleys are just more noticeable, or if the other brands of motorcycles just disappear this time of year (sort of like how the black bears get the hell away when the grizzlies arrive). We were in Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park last week and there were Harleys everywhere and I only saw two crotch rockets of different makes
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Looks like this year's rally was pretty tame, according to the local reports there was more of a yuppy element: http://rapidcityjournal.com/sturgisr...603696c53.html

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Looks like this year's rally was pretty tame, according to the local reports there was more of a yuppy element: http://rapidcityjournal.com/sturgisr...603696c53.html
    That was starting to show up a few years ago as well, particularly from the "rolling palace brigade" of $500,000 RVs and such. Also, Sturgis now has a number of "family friendly" campgrounds and most of the debauchery is confined inside the bars and certain campgrounds.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Burning Man vs Sturgis
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 3:34 PM
  2. Motorcycle Sales B-1 & B-2
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Sep 2006, 7:34 PM
  3. Replies: 39