Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Condo developments along waterways squeeze public boat space

Headline: Public slips slip away from some boaters
    Article from USA TODAY:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...cks-usat_x.htm

Highlights:
    Whitley Bay has gone condo — a "dockominium," boaters call it — alongside a new 13-story yellow tower that houses affluent newcomers to downtown Cocoa's waterfront. It has stopped renting slips to the general public and instead assigns spaces to residents who can afford an expensive yacht-club membership.

That has made Whitley Bay a flash point in a class conflict over boaters' access to America's waterways.

"It's a growth-management issue that we're seeing on the waterways," says Paul Ouellette, a middle-income boater and a captain with the Florida Freshwater Fish and Conservation Commission in Tallahassee. "I can't use that private marina. I can't buy gas there. And I can't use their boat ramp."

No one has counted the slips and ramps lost to the public, making it hard for governments to manage access.
    Checkout sidebox discussion: Waterfront rebuilding efforts

What do you think/know about this BEAR ?
    Toledo, Ohio is revitalizing a 126-acre waterfront after a $19-million cleanup of former industrial sites on the Maumee River. A centerpiece for the new project: A $5 million, 180-slip public marina with spaces to rent to residents and visitors from Lake Erie. "They'll come from Buffalo or Cleveland or Canada," says William Carroll, Toledo's director of economic and community development. "It's very important to draw people in to Toledo to spend some money."
    Other cities listed: Pittsburg, CA, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, & Bucks County, PA.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The company I work for a few years back did a zoning ord. with a special marina district along the riverfront. I was not involved in writing the ord. but it delt with the density of boat slips, regulations for people living on boats and a few other things.

I think this will become a larger and larger problem as developers take advantage of local, state and federal programs to clean up old industrial sites along the riverfronts and develop facilities similar to the Toldeo project mentioned.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Just personal preference.... I like to see public space along the water......
    Work hard, play hard.
    Listen carefully, see broadly.
    Good people, great environment, wonderful life.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In many European (and non-European) countries, the first few yards of any maritime shoreline is always public, so you can always tie up yer boat, etc. However, if the land beyond is private they do not typically have to grant access beyond the shore (other than in an emergency).
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Jun 2005
    In Sydney we have a new planning regulation which basically says that any new development along the foreshore has to allow for public access where possible.

Although at the moment much of it is in private ownership- so it has come a little too late

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The root of the problem is the lack of public land in every jurisdiction in Florida. Most local governments either don't appreciate the value of public space or would rather reap the property taxes that come with luxury developments.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    The root of the problem is the lack of public land in every jurisdiction in Florida. Most local governments either don't appreciate the value of public space or would rather reap the property taxes that come with luxury developments.
    That's right!!! I've worked on several "luxury communities with private marina" projects here. I feel bad.
    Work hard, play hard.
    Listen carefully, see broadly.
    Good people, great environment, wonderful life.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Public/open space guidelines
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Jun 2010, 10:55 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Sep 2009, 7:30 PM
  3. Pleasure Boat Waterways
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Aug 2005, 8:05 PM