Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wal-Mart photos needed

Registered
    Jan 2005

Wal-Mart photos needed

Can anyone out there provide pictures of "upscale" Wal-Marts built in or around their community? I know that's an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmm.....

How about a Canadian Walmart?? Anyone.....Anyone......
    Skilled Adoxographer

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't have any, but I can give you some guidance on where to look. Head to the northeast for some enhanced Walmart designs. New Hampshire and Mass. have a few examples floating around. Also, Orlando I think has one of those "neighborhood market" concepts that seems more adaptable to architectural modifications.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I would like to see what folks call upscale. Down here this got billed as being "Nice"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    I would like to see what folks call upscale. Down here this got billed as being "Nice"

Big Owl: Where is that rendering from? They did one just like it in Round Rock, TX (at least that's where they guy that sent it to me said it was):

Brian_w: If you use this one as a reference, use it only to prove that Walmart can & will alter their designs. Just don't turn it into something it's not, like a feux downtown streetscape in the middle of a parking lot.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    There are a few images in the Gallery section as well....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Big Owl: Where is that rendering from? They did one just like it in Round Rock, TX (at least that's where they guy that sent it to me said it was):

Brian_w: If you use this one as a reference, use it only to prove that Walmart can & will alter their designs. Just don't turn it into something it's not, like a feux downtown streetscape in the middle of a parking lot.
    From a store they proposed outside of Charlotte, NC. It is very similar to one they built in Indian Trail, NC. It is a 200,000 sq ft store in a parking lot of 1,000 spaces or more. The planners where this was build got them to alter the size of the sign and such but it is still a big box with a store front facade that is almost a half a mile in length.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This thread asks the same question, and provides some answers.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...t=good+walmart
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2005

Rendering

Well, I think I am the planner from which the rendering originated.
    I say this due to the wall attached goose neck lights at the entrances,
    which I believe to be unique to our store.
    The building hasn't been built yet, but the arch details were modeled from
    existing WM's around the area.
    It is similar to a proposed store in West Charlotte (existing - pics attached) at the
    corner of Ashley and Wilkinson Blvds and Tega Kay, SC (proposed).
    For reference, we are a very rural community, so the 200,000 s.f. building
    is large, and we would have loved to have a smaller footprint, perhaps 2 story,
    but our code doesn't require such. The front facade stretches about 600',
    which is a bit less than 1/2 mile. And, although Wally likes to have 5+ spaces per
    1000 s.f.(roughly 1000 spaces), we were able to reduce that to 4.5 (900 spaces), located
    to the side and rear of the store.So, not behind the sea of asphalt, just beside it.
    This also opens the door for shared parking (GASP!) when the outlots develop.
    I've included some pics that I took this weekend of the West Charlotte store.
    As you can see, it is a departure from their vacant wall, big box reputation.
    From our experience with Goliath, it took a lot of dedication by staff, and a strong ordinance to get
    a plan that we were comfortable presenting to the City.
    The broken up facade can more easily adapt to smaller units in the future, incase WM ever pulls out.

Ok, so it may just be window dressing, but it's a far leap from the big grey box and small step in the right direction
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00035 (WinCE).JPG
Views:	624
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	3407

Name:	DSC00037 (WinCE).JPG
Views:	620
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	3408

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Plan On It
    It is similar to a proposed store in West Charlotte (existing - pics attached) at the
    which is a bit less than 1/2 mile. And, although Wally likes to have 5+ spaces per
    1000 s.f.(roughly 1000 spaces), we were able to reduce that to 4.5 (900 spaces), located
    to the side and rear of the store.So, not behind the sea of asphalt, just beside it.
    From our experience with Goliath, it took a lot of dedication by staff, and a strong ordinance to get
    The broken up facade can more easily adapt to smaller units in the future, incase WM ever pulls out.

Ok, so it may just be window dressing, but it's a far leap from the big grey box and small step in the right direction
    Attachment 3407

Attachment 3408
    i got the premiter measurement and the facade measurment confused you have to excuse me we have been talking about the context of the block size and the existing urban network.

when working for a local government; context and political will often factors in to the outcome.... but bunches of small steps lead toward big change. It often takes time and a few new tents at the local cemetaries I remember this as incremental planning theory... remember it, it may be AICP exam

Registered
    Dec 2005

Some More Pics

Here are some more pics I took during our research of what we wanted for our
    proposed store. I happened to be in Durango Co. this past summer and and was fortunate enough to have my camera on me when we passed this Wal-Mart.
    Upscale? Well, it's better than most other's i've seen. This too is a supercenter,
    so it has a 200,000s.f. + footprint, but they did a decent job fitting the arch into the landscape.

Name:	DSC00012 (WinCE).JPG
Views:	551
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	3413

Name:	DSC00010 (WinCE).JPG
Views:	553
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	3411

Name:	DSC00009 (WinCE).JPG
Views:	548
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	3410

I will admit that during our research, we found it rather difficult to find images of well designed existing stores online, but they're out there somewhere. Hopefully these forums will be able to provide folks with a good image bank resource when Wal-Mart comes to their town.

Here's one that I did find online. I'm sorry I don't know where it came from, but perhaps someone does....

Name:	Downtown-walmart.jpg (WinCE).jpg
Views:	545
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	3412

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Plan On It

Based on what you're describing, ya'll were looking about 25 years down the road when/if Walmart moves to a new location and the building gets split up. BTW, a good move given their tendency to put "no-compete" restrictions on future buyers and is something I've seen missing in many of the big box ordinances I've seen. Were the public facilities (pipes, etc) placed through the parking lot to allow placement of additional buildings to create more of a town square atmosphere and possibly resubdivision to create a street grid? That building design would make a lot more sense then for future context.

I hope you weren't taking some of the criticism to personally--I think a lot of us are just glad to see that design policy can force the hands of the ultimate big box with probably the worst reputation.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Based on what you're describing, ya'll were looking about 25 years down the road when/if Walmart moves to a new location and the building gets split up. BTW, a good move given their tendency to put "no-compete" restrictions on future buyers and is something I've seen missing in many of the big box ordinances I've seen. Were the public facilities (pipes, etc) placed through the parking lot to allow placement of additional buildings to create more of a town square atmosphere and possibly resubdivision to create a street grid? That building design would make a lot more sense then for future context.

I hope you weren't taking some of the criticism to personally--I think a lot of us are just glad to see that design policy can force the hands of the ultimate big box with probably the worst reputation.

Well, i will admit that it hit a nerve when it was stated that all we did was get a "smaller sign", but that's only because I know what we had to go thru to get the plan were it is today. We actually spent about 8 months working on it, so there was a lot of time and energy invested in the project, for a staff of 2. Is it the best Wal-Mart plan ever, probably not, does the plan meet our local needs and provide for responsible, higher quality growth, I think so....
    For reference, this is a green field development, and as mentioned earlier, we are very rural with very little commercial development in town. The hopes pinned on this project are that it will be a catalyst for continued growth in the surrounding area,
    well planned responsible growth. Our largely industrial base has tanked in recent years, so we needed something to spawn some activity, and guess who came knocking....
    To answer your question, yes, the utilities were looped through the parking lot to serve future adjacent parcels and the outlots presented as part of the overall development, as well as down the new public streets that borders the site, providing the infrastructure to the neighboring parcels, all paid for by WM. We had originally requested that the internal aisles in front of the store and at the far end of the parking lot would be public streets, but we compromised during the review process, and wound up letting them be private, but built to public street standards, with all necessary utilities being under the road for future use, including the ability to use individual taps to separate units in the future if WM should decide to bail out.
    The overall concept for the whole 300 acres( WM and associated outlots being about 38 of those) of greenfield is that it will have that town square atmosphere, with the WM just being a part of a bigger picture, but currently the only development on the table. The arch design will set the standard of the future growth, and hopefully the zoning district sizes will prevent any other big boxes in the surrounding area. The hope is that future developments will come, now that there is a strong anchor in the picture, and our code will encourage smaller
    commercial clusters and multifamily residential developments in the area.
    WM is also providing 2 new public streets, lined with sidewalks and street trees,
    in addition to the private drives( built to the same standard), stamped asphalt crossings and a public transit bus stop, all steps in the right direction.
    I guess the point i'd be making, if any, is that although WM never offered any of this on their own, they were willing to work with the City, and gave us just about everything we required (or just asked for). Luckily we had an ordinance that allowed us to ensure a higher quality development (vs. the grey boat in the sea of asphalt that could care less about anything off their site.)

Ok, so what does this really have to do with the original request for "Upscale" pics, not so much, but it shows me that beauty is really in the eye of the beholder. What works for one area, may not be the best solution for another, and that all the planning theory can be ideal but ineffectual without an ordinance that requires higher standards for development.
    This was my first BIG project in town as planner and my first time on the forums, so I am enjoying the ability to ramble on about something i was so involved in.
    I apologize
    and appreciate the ability to continue my learning experience thru the discussion of topics presented on these forums......
    Merry Christmas!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Westminster

I know in Westminster, CA they designed a Wal-Mart incorporating the design guidelines of the community which consisted of French Tudor style architecture. They mainly used some half-timbering elements. Sorry I don't have an pictures for you.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Wal-Mart and NYC
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Mar 2007, 5:09 PM
  2. Why Wal-Mart is NOT going to hell
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 10 Nov 2006, 11:05 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 24 Jun 2005, 10:30 PM