Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Define smart growth, sprawl, and good environmental design

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Define smart growth, sprawl, and good environmental design

Hi -

In writing my PUD, I'm using the buzz words we all know (and love) as planners - but in this lawsuit-happy world, I need to put these terms in the definition section.

Luckily the Maine State Planning Office has a great document that deals with "the Great American Neighborhood" pretty definitvely, but what about these other terms?

Does anyone have these in their codes for criteria for approving permits?
    Last edited by luckless pedestrian; 19 Dec 2005 at 4:04 PM. Reason: wanted to subscribe to this thread since it's due, oh, Wednesday - lol

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    Hi -

In writing my PUD, I'm using the buzz words we all know (and love) as planners - but in this lawsuit-happy world, I need to put these terms in the definition section.

Luckily the Maine State Planning Office has a great document that deals with "the Great American Neighborhood" pretty definitvely, but what about these other terms?

Does anyone have these in their codes for criteria for approving permits?
    These are academic terms mostly that shouldn't be applied to codes because they are so objective IMO. The challenge we have as planners is translating concepts of livability, sustainability, and smart growth into land use policies that shape outcomes.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    yes, of course, but when the preamble is written that outlines purpose and intent of the PUD, it needs to be mentioned to explain to people what we mean when we throw these terms around, no?

i think you meant subjective, not objective

thanks - the draft i'm workign with now just outlines the compenents of good design practice in the preamble - we'll see how it goes -

Has anyone used these terms in their codes?

If we are going to practice performance zoning and get away from the Euclidian, we have to find a way to effectively communicate it in the codes, imho!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Here is our preamble. We do not use the "buzz-words" you referenced, rather the concepts we want to encourage. I guess it works ok.

"Planned Mixed Use Development District.

The purpose of this district is to provide for appropriate planned development of quality mixed-use projects within the City by allowing greater freedom of design, by improving the opportunity for flexibility and creativity in the land development process, by undertaking techniques which foster community and pedestrianism, and by limiting the expenditure of public funds in an effort to achieve the objectives and intent of the City’s Comprehensive Plan.

Specifically, this district is intended to:

A. Allow diversification of uses, structures, densities and open spaces when not in conflict with existing and permitted land uses on abutting properties.

B. Reduce development costs through a more efficient use of land and a smaller network of utilities and streets than is possible through the application of standards contained in conventional land development regulations.

C. Conserve the natural amenities of the land by encouraging the preservation of environmentally significant, scenic and functional open space.

D. Provide maximum opportunity for the application of innovative site planning concepts through the creation of aesthetically pleasing environments for living, shopping, and working on properties of adequate size, shape and location.

E. Insure that development will occur according to the advantages and limitations of land, site design, population density, building coverage, improvement standards, and construction phasing as authorized through the approval of a comprehensive site development plan.

F. Provide a mechanism to incorporate and implement the goals and intent of the Comprehensive Plan.

G. Encourage pedestrianism and transportation alternatives.

This District is not intended to increase overall density or development intensity on a particular property except in relation to an improved design and benefit to the public. The use of open space, public meeting areas, and recreational uses should be included as part of any project. This District is intended to provide a vehicle for improved development through creative design and appropriate mixtures of land uses.

There are two variations of the Planned Mixed-Use District; Mixed-Use Village and Mixed-Use Center. The City’s Comprehensive Plan should be consulted to determine when and where each of these variations may be appropriate."

Like most of us, I borrowed from several sources to create this.

Good luck.

Registered
    Aug 2005

wow

mallen - that's beyond perfect - mind if i steal?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Help yourself.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Aug 2012, 5:28 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Aug 2007, 9:12 AM
  3. Smart growth: still relevent?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2