Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Application form question - access to property

Registered
    Sep 2001

Application form question - access to property

I know it was mentioned here before about surveyors being able to acces properties. I was wondering how your municipalities deal with access to properties where an application has been submitted?

In one jurisidiction I have worked in it was in the provincial Act that we could access properties at reasonable times for visits.

At my last job, the property owner signed a waiver of access to allow us access to their property.

Currently, no access without owners permission. We've had an obstructionist owner, who is connected jerking my chain about accessing his property for a mandatory site visit.

How do you deal with applications and site visits? If you have any samples of waivers of access or references, they would be appreciated.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This appears above the owner/agent's signature.

By signing this application, the owner hereby authorizes Planning and Zoning Division staff to access the subject property to verifty information contained in this application and accompanying submittal documents.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Ours is similar to RJ's, except that it also includes the members of the PC and BZA, who are expected to visit each site. We've never had any issues with it, really, but from time to time those that object mildly to it are the ones we watch most carefully.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Nov 2002
    From our signature page:

AUTHORIZATION FOR SITE VISITS: By signing this page and submittting the application materials attached herein, the Owner, Appicant and his/her/their agent(s) hereby authorize the Zoning Board or Planning Board and Town Staff to enter the subject properties for the purpose of reviewing the application submitted.
    Any application submitted must have this page signed to be considered complete for review.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    yes, I agree with the others - people sign off on site visits when they apply for site plan and the building permit -

health inspection complaints don't need permission to access the property per code

we do try to coordinate before going though as professional courtesy

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Refusal to grant site access is grounds for denial here. I've never had it become an issue though.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have a form that the applicant has to fill out allowing the City to enter and inspect the property. It is a standard form under Provincial law.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We have a "Site Visit Authorization" sheet that is part of the required application packet. If they don't do it, then they haven't submitted a complete application, therefore they can't get a public hearing.

checkout our ZBA application here.
    Last edited by mendelman; 20 Dec 2005 at 12:31 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Excel into Access question
    Information Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Nov 2005, 8:05 PM
  2. Application question
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Feb 2005, 3:28 PM