Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The It's A Wonderful Life Game

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The It's A Wonderful Life Game

'Tis the season for another viewing of the great Christmas classic film, "It's A Wonderful Life". A great American film that successfully integrated the Christmas spirit into the story of a man who, down on his luck, questioned his value. Try this test (game).....

Imagine the effect on the lives of everybody you have known IF you were never born.

In my life these would be some of the major changes:

My son would have never been born. That would have meant that my two (2) beautiful grand-daughters would not be here. Assuming that my friend still went on the canoe trip to Algonquin Park in northern Ontario, this Bear would not have been there to pull him out of the water.

My first wife would have probably married (somebody else) but it is hard to tell if she would have followed the same path.....never marrying again. My second wife would have gone directly to college, instead of waiting until she was out of my life. Her involvement with social issues, geography, and urban affairs would most likely have started much earlier in her life.

No comment on wife number three. Katie (4) would probably still be in the really bad relationship that she left after we met. Not good for her, both physically and emotionally.

I would like to think that a few people I have been associated with in life would have gone in different directions.....some good directions and some bad directions. I am positive that if I wasn't around to make the business decisions in my career that I made, the companies that I made those decisions with and for would have not done as well as they did.
    _____

This game can give you a headache.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    You forgot to mention that DeNoc would not exist if you were never born.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Jul 2003

If I had not been born...

Citizen Planners would not have been founded.

My websites wouldn't exist and I occasionally get email thanking me for what I post there, so it seems to touch lives.

My dad might be a cripple because I would have never spent 6 months doing daily massage to cure his long-standing back problem when I was 17.

Last but not least: There would be a few dozen doctors who did not need to start a support group for "Victims of the Crazy Lady in the ER who insists she is actually sick and not merely nuts".

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I can't even begin to think about the thousands of people I have touched (at age 27) and the tens of thousands I will continue to be in contact with. I'm sure I've done my share of match making, corrupting, comforting, building up, scolding, and sharing with so many people. I just heard recently from an acquaintance from a few years back that she really took some things I had said once to heart and it has changed the way she reacts to certain situations. The web we weave through life reaches beyond anything we can comprehend.
    @GigCityPlanner

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The 'It's a Wonderful Life' Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 07 Dec 2012, 11:41 PM
  2. What would Ms. Wonderful Say?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 11 Jan 2005, 10:55 PM
  3. It's a Wonderful Life-